[Archive] how many of you dont use certain weapons cause you can't convert them?

noone:

so i’ve seen that to use blunderbusses or great weapons you have to do conversions which can be very time consuming and expensvive, do any of you just avoid using these weapons because of this, or just ‘pretend’ you CD have said weapons in there hands?

also on this point, where is the best/cheapest place to get great weapons or blunderbusses etc…

do GW sell just the weapon sprues?

Grimstonefire:

What base models are you using?

If you’re using the infernal guard, you could just trim the fireglaives down to be great weapons by cutting off the trigger mechanism and the end of the barrel near the blade for a great weapon.  That wouldn’t cost any more and would be quick and effective.

Or cut the fireglaive just behind the blade and greenstuff a blunderbuss flare.

They don’t, no.

Edit.  Like this

noone:

fair one mate they look pretty good, i haven’t bought any models yet still reading through the throne of tamurkhan and seeing what would work best for an army.

Abecedar:

Again, what era figures do you want and what would you consider to be too hard to convert.  Lots of us have converted BFSP dwarfs into CD’s, the Miners have great weapons and the BFSP thunderers into BB’s. they could also be done into fireglaives.

I like converting but personally have some real big issues emotionally with cutting up any of the old metal models

Bloodbeard:

If you want to go with the FW models, there are some easy (not time consuming) ways of converting them.

Depending on where you play and what you want to look at, you can just tell your opponent that hw/s IG have GWs or that fireglaives count as blunderbuss. No problem with that as FW hasn’t releashed the miniatures.

I personally want my dudes to look right, so here are some ideas for conversions.

Going FW takes alot of cash anyways, especially if you want to field all four IG types. So for blunderbuss you can check ebay. There’s this french guy selling 3d printed blunderbusses that are sculpt to fit FW miniatures.

Otherwise the conversion Grimestonefire suggests is quite easy. Chop of the end of a fireglaive and add a nice cone of greenstuff.

For great weapons you can buy some plastic rod or some octagonal plastic rod in a hobby store or seach for “evergreen scale models” they make the stuff. The FW miniatures can easily have their hands chopped of, turned, add a piece of plastic (cut just be trimmed down sprue) between the hands, reuse the hand weapon as a great weapon axe head. Search the forums - all the above conversions have been done before, so they are here somewhere.

The new longbeards / hammerers from the dwarfs, should be able to fit with the FW models with a bit of work too.

I only field great weapons against very cavalry heavy lists. Generally i like my better save and parry from hw/s - so I just stick a razor banner on that unit. But against the pony boys of bretonnia GWs and razorbanner are great.

TheHoodedMan:

As Bloodbeard says.
If you wanna stick to FW just count fireglaives as blunderbuss or great weapons. The “problem” is that all weapon choices have a good use in the game.
I know a guy who used the WoC great weapons kit with the Infernal Guard models: Worked out great.
Blunderbusses on ebay cost about 1 EUR/model plus shipping

There are some alternative models which already have the weapon choices: Titan Wargames (Great W.) and Russian Alternative (Great W. and Blunderbuss).

edit: Personally I started out with great weapons. They can do some damage to nasty stuff like abominations or nurgle beasts, especially with a flame banner ;-).
Last games I changed more to blunderbusses. Fireglaives are not bad but very expensive pointswise.
Look at the Tactics section, Daemonsmith handbook for help on the choice.

noone:

thanks for the replies fellas, i will be using FW CD and although i like to think my painting is pretty good my conversions suffer when it comes to the green stuff, when i get my models and finalise my army list i’ll def give your ideas a go.

Geist:

I am working on a lil something something, that if it pans out right I should be able to help mass spread the joy of a good blunderbuss conversion. Mainly its puttying arm connections to the iron drake guns from the dwarfs.

TheHoodedMan:

@Geist: Let`s see some pics :-).

Here is a link to freakbrain23 army blog on TTW, the german tabletopforum.

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/index.php?/topic/141152-legion-of-whatever-chaoszwerge/page-2

In Post #25 the great weapons conversions are first pictured.

Later on he modeled metal plates to the hands. The Blog is very recommendable. Great conversions and painting and he also answered me some questions as I began with my CD (he lives not far from me).

Ben Saunders:

If you’re not playing tournaments, I wouldn’t worry too much anyway. Like others say, WYSIWYG isn’t essential; I quite often face opponents saying things like ‘these clanrats with spears are actually Stormvermin with halberds’. Chances are your opponent may not be able to tell one Chaos Dwarf with a gun (fireglave) from another (blunderbuss) anyway…

Geist:

@Geist: Let`s see some pics :-).

Here is a link to freakbrain23 army blog on TTW, the german tabletopforum.
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/index.php?/topic/141152-legion-of-whatever-chaoszwerge/page-2

In Post #25 the great weapons conversions are first pictured.
Later on he modeled metal plates to the hands. The Blog is very recommendable. Great conversions and painting and he also answered me some questions as I began with my CD (he lives not far from me).

TheHoodedMan
Just as soon as some of the casts arrive I will picpaste some up.

TheHoodedMan:

If you're not playing tournaments, I wouldn't worry too much anyway. Like others say, WYSIWYG isn't essential; I quite often face opponents saying things like 'these clanrats with spears are actually Stormvermin with halberds'. Chances are your opponent may not be able to tell one Chaos Dwarf with a gun (fireglave) from another (blunderbuss) anyway...

Ben Saunders
Sure, you`re right. But if you know ahead which version you will play its absolutely makes sense to build this version. Playing "count as" is ok in certain limits. A distant relationship to the real models should be given (for example blunderbuss - fireglaives)
It is definitely difficult to hold an opponents units apart from another and distracts me personally from play if proxing is too heavy, especially if its also an unpainted or even worse black undercoated army.

noone:

Sure, you`re right. But if you know ahead which version you will play its absolutely makes sense to build this version. Playing "count as" is ok in certain limits. A distant relationship to the real models should be given (for example blunderbuss - fireglaives)
It is definitely difficult to hold an opponents units apart from another and distracts me personally from play if proxing is too heavy, especially if its also an unpainted or even worse black undercoated army.
agreed, i prefer for my models to feature the weapons i have given them.

Doombeard:

GW sell chaos warrior great weapons they are tried and tested and work great.just make sure to cut the gloves off at the base of the wrist. They cost £9 for 10. You can see them in freakbrain23’s blog above and mine too. A french guy is selling blunderbusses on ebay for a similar price which are pretty nice. I think I also have those on my blog. I plan to try to magnetize all my IG so I can make weapon swaps.