[Archive] How many people use a Great Tauras?

brimmstorm:

I am going to be having my first game with my Chaos Dwarfs in a couple of weeks and I was wondering how many people use a Lord on Great Tauras? I was thinking that a flying terror causes could be pretty good but with it being a large target I am unsure.

What do people do? Do you take one? Or leave it at home?

-brimmstorm

Arashi:

How many points, and against which army? Great Tauruses are more effective against i.e. Goblins then against a magic heavy undead army…

brimmstorm:

1. In an all comers list. I don’t make list to play against certain armies.

-brimmstorm

Uzkul Werit:

I use my Great Taurus regliously. Having a flyer in any army is great but in one as slow as ours, then it’s even better. Under the safety of Earthshaker fire it can whip through most of the foes missile troops and war machines. Only ever charge it into the flank or rear of footmen blocks and even then, don’t go for anything tougher than an Empire Swordsman.

torn:

think of it like a dwarf gyrocopter that should win in close combat and that you dont want to die. It should have a lot of uses with march blocking, flaming weak units, and getting your lord into combat with whoever he wants. In my opinion i think a lord is better surrounded by nice tough troops rather than trying to achieve a flying rodeo.

brimmstorm:

What is the unit str of the Tauras and rider?

-brimmstorm

Uzkul Werit:

He is Unit Strength 5. It’s the combination of the Lord’s US of 1 and the Bull’s US of 4.

Ghrask Dragh:

I’ve seen Uzkul use his taurus to great effect, wood elves I think it was?, it seems a good idea to send it up the flanks to take out the more ‘shooty’ minis that like to pick you off from far away!

Xander:

What is the unit str of the Tauras and rider?

-brimmstorm

brimmstorm
A delicious unit strength of 5, making him perfect for charging flanks in tandem with other units charging the front. Makes short work of rank bonus.

Even though he is your lord, use a Hero as your general so your leadership bonus isn't flying away from your units. ;)

hobblin:

Remember these things are PURE killers IT can kill HC with a frount charge like I killed a unit of 7 dragon princes with it, but don’t forget its armor save of 4+ and its breath weapon and ya terrors always usful.

wallacer:

And of course there is the all important fact that it makes a great centrepiece for your army (well, flank piece)

Nazhur:

I have so far only playe done game(!). and it was a small game of 750p only so I have not used it yet but my idea is to use him when I reach 2000p as he is a great moel and it seems also very nice to use as a tactical chose.

Lepreh Khan:

I always include my Lord on his Taurus now. It’s a great value for the points and it allows you to take out certain targets, letting your artillery focus on core blocks of troops and such.

Think about it this way; It doesn’t take up an extra Hero or a Rare slot, so why not use him? If you give the Lord the Black Hammer, Armor of the Furnace, and a shield, he’s definately something to fear. Just make sure you get the charge, and he’ll survive.

I had my Lord on Taurus charge a group of Dwarf warriors. They dropped an Oathstone and he had to kill off 25 dwarves (including a thane). He did so and didn’t take a single wound because he had killed 5+ dwarves before they could attack back.

-Lepreh Khan

brimmstorm:

Well next week is going to be my first game with the Chaos Dwarfs.

I am going to include the Lord on Tauras to start with and see how it goes. I’ll be posting my list soon to get everyones advice.

-brimmstorm

Nehan:

Today I’ve played with a lizardmen army (2000 points, my roster’s in the appropriate section) - a standard slann-temple guard army. His TG charged into my bait (hobbos with bsb), along with salamanders. The hobbos stood, and then my lord delivered a nice little surprise, attacking slann’s unit from flank. Two combat rounds later, only slann remained!

As Uzkul said, a flyer in a defensive army is worth double, especially such a strong flyer.

w3rm:

Taurus is great but i wouldnt take him in an under 2250 point games. Hes just too expensive.

Merchant:

I’m gonna take one with me, my CD lord is becoming a killing machine against almost any army. alright I’know it is large target, but it is the only bad thing about it (well in my opinion) :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Properly used this is one of our best units. The fact that you can make your general a hero with a LD 10 frees up the Lord to ride the and hunt targets of opportunity.

Auretious Taak:

I use my Great Taurus regliously. Having a flyer in any army is great but in one as slow as ours, then it's even better. Under the safety of Earthshaker fire it can whip through most of the foes missile troops and war machines. Only ever charge it into the flank or rear of footmen blocks and even then, don't go for anything tougher than an Empire Swordsman.

Uzkul Werit
Unless he has The Dark Mace of Death, then be truely evil and go for his unit of Chosen Chaos Knights or Ogres! :p

It comes down to what you equip him with but the Gauntlets of Bazrakh the Cruel and the Black Hammer of Hashut for 65 points is damned shiny as he can take apart chariot units instantly and mooshes treemen in one hit...throw on the Black Gem of Gnarr to really annoy the cr*p out of people who attempt an assassination of him and then smack them down next round with 4 strength 7 flaming attacks and 4 strength 6 attacks. Damned nasty all things considered.

Auretious Taak.

Willmark:

Indeed as our list stands right now this is one of those areas that goes a long way towards rectifying the lack of special rules. The Taurus and sorcerors help redress balance.