[Archive] How to win with the legion of azgorh

Far2Casual:

The Magma Cannon is great and all, but I would never leave home without at least one deathsrieker, happily sacrificing the second magma cannon for it. It’s actually the only thing that can at least try to fight back in artillery wars. Even when you opponent doesn’t have T3 troops, you can still use the Demolition rocket against chariots, monsters or characters without LoS.

Hashutcopper:

K’Daai destroyer isn’t held by anti flaming infantry characters, thunderstomp isn’t affected by special rules.

though it is held up by any other type of character.

very nice list

nilbog:

Indeed, but I’ve had it held up by a chaos lord on a disc with the dragonhelm. Any lone character with dragonhelm or dragonbane gem on a mount will hold it up…for OnG, a goblin big boss on a spider for what? 55 points? Add a great weapon and they could actually harm it as well…just be careful, it’s good but not that good (which is just as well, really).

A slightly different standard list (2400 points):

Sorcerer-prophet, level 4, hashut, enchanted shield, talisman of preservation, crown of command 385

Infernal castellan, battle standard, mask of the furnace, iron curse icon, shield 202

Daemonsmith, level 1, fire, dispel scroll, charmed shield, 125

Hobgoblin khan, wolf, light armour, shield, dragonhelm, biting blade, 76

24 Infernal guard, full command, lichebone pennant, 335

24 Infernal guard, full command, 320

Magma cannon xxx

Magma cannon xxx

6 K’daai fireborn, manburner 340

K’daai destroyer xxx

Slightly different; two blocks of stubborn infernal guard, two magma cannons as the warmachines. Get stuck in quickly with both k’daai.

brotsorrow:

Thank you for finishing the special and rare units - greatly appreciated. Nice work!

Marduk:

I don’t see how the Demolition Rocket can be any good. It scatters normally so it would be very easy to miss a chariot or monster. What am I missing?

nilbog:

I preer to use one magma cannon (for elites/heavy cav/monstrous stuff), one deathshrieker (for T3 stuff) and a hellcannon (for anything, but including big gribblies). I don’t use the deathshrieker for its S8 shot because, as you say, it scatters and then hits nothing, but the hellcannon has more chance of hitting something with its S5 template if the S10 doesn’t hit.

In the above list, the fireborn can take care of the T3 stuff. The dual magma cannons take care of everything else.

tvandyke:

I don't see how the Demolition Rocket can be any good. It scatters normally so it would be very easy to miss a chariot or monster. What am I missing?

Marduk
With the Daemonsmith re-roll, you'll get a direct hit 2/3 of the time with the Demolition Rocket.  I've been running two Deathshriekers and with the re-roll, you're going to average one direct hit per turn (one hitting 2/3 of the time and the other 1/3 of the time).  S8, D6 wounds basically means that if there's any "big" thing on the board, it's dead before it reaches you.  Well worth the 200 point investment.  I've only played a handful of games but so far, I've killed a Wyvern, a Giant and a Terrorgheist with them.  I'm pretty sure they all got killed within my first two turns, but maybe it took 3 with one of them.  Loved seeing the Terrorgheist lose its regeneration due to the flaming attacks. They're such a versatile war machine and the cheapest of the bunch. From a tournament perspective when you have no idea what armies you'll be facing, it's nice having something in your arsenal that can do some damage from afar to big nasties and if there aren't any, then use the incendiaries and cause panic everywhere. What more do you want for a 100 points? I think it's one of the best valued war machines in the game.

zhatan87:

I don't see how the Demolition Rocket can be any good.
Versatility... You CAN kill a monster in one shot... It's just like all the other stone throwers... Yes you can scatter, but you can also get a direct hit...
Loved seeing the Terrorgheist lose its regeneration due to the flaming attacks.
The demolition rocket isn't flamming sorry...
I think it's one of the best valued war machines in the game.
Sure! Now that we know that GW will reduce the efficacity of the stone thrower (Empire mortar and hellblaster), and up their costs (OG, Empire), it makes the deathshrieker one of the best stone thrower of the new 8ed army books for its cost...

tvandyke:

Loved seeing the Terrorgheist lose its regeneration due to the flaming attacks.
The demolition rocket isn't flamming sorry...

zhatan87
Wow, looks like you're right.  I just went back and re-read the Deathshrieker rules and the Incediaries definitely are, but nothing about flaming is mentioned for the Demolision Rocket.  Well, I've been playing that wrong (not that it comes into play often unless something has Regen).  I guess I got it in my head that the war machine has flaming attacks and there's just two different types of shells, but one is flaming and the other isn't.  The word Incendiary should have clued me in.  Hydras and Terrorgheists won't be quite as afraid of it now.

Far2Casual:

I don't see how the Demolition Rocket can be any good. It scatters normally so it would be very easy to miss a chariot or monster. What am I missing?

Marduk
I played yesterday against a O&G player who destroyed my Magma Cannon, my Deathshrieker, and my HellCannon with a single Stone Thrower. 28% of chances of hitting anything 48" away with a S8 D6W hit, is great (hit on scatter dice + no missfire on artillery). With one hit you will probably get many more points back than the cost of your machine. With the Daemonsmith rerolls nearby, you go up to 51% (not 2/3).

I would also add that it's not because you scatter that you lose your shot. The O&G player above killed my Deathsrieker by scattering off my Hellcannon, and the turn after he hit the Hellcannon even though he scattered 2 inches (ty 4" x 6" base ...)

I've lost many more points in 8th edition from central hits of stone throwers than from their template.
Sure! Now that we know that GW will reduce the efficacity of the stone thrower (Empire mortar and hellblaster), and up their costs (OG, Empire), it makes the deathshrieker one of the best stone thrower of the new 8ed army books for its cost...

zhatan87
For sure. Empire players are already moaning that our warmachine is a S3 flaming big template for the same price of their S2 piercing ! And that if we decide to go for a central hit, we are S8 instead of their S6 !

Baggronor:

For sure. Empire players are already moaning that our warmachine is a S3 flaming big template for the same price of their S2 piercing ! And that if we decide to go for a central hit, we are S8 instead of their S6 !
Moaning about Deathshriekers? I guess they haven't played against a Magma Cannon yet then! ;)

Now that the Helstorm is nerfed to Str 3, we are number one for weapons of mass destruction. As it should be :hashut

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Nope, that title still belongs to the vanilla dwarves.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Baggronor:

Nope, that title still belongs to the vanilla dwarves.
I meant we can do mass destruction far better. We can field more and better template weapons. Dwarfs have better artillery fire overall as they can do pinpoint damage more accurately (cannons) to win the shooting war against other machines, but when it comes to the sheer volume of potential damage, we win hands down.

Lava Lord:

:hat This is a great, to know one’s army summary! I plan to make good use of it. Give me some paint time and pleasure time and I’ll put it to use… Thanx again. It a valuable help for us new players, or coming back ones… lol :hat off

nilbog:

After a few games last weekend, I think I’ll drop the hobgoblins from my list. They were either ignored and did nothing, or where charged and died. I’m going for two blocks of infernals from now on, with the crown of command sorcerer-prophet in one and the castellan in the other.

I’m looking at dropping the hellcannon as well. I don’t want to rely on it because it will probably change in the new WoC book. Also it didn’t do anything that a magma cannon couldn’t do, apart from rampage after a razorgor and fail to kill it. So I think it will be two magma cannons for me.

rpitts2004:

After a few games last weekend, I think I'll drop the hobgoblins from my list. They were either ignored and did nothing, or where charged and died. I'm going for two blocks of infernals from now on, with the crown of command sorcerer-prophet in one and the castellan in the other.

I'm looking at dropping the hellcannon as well. I don't want to rely on it because it will probably change in the new WoC book. Also it didn't do anything that a magma cannon couldn't do, apart from rampage after a razorgor and fail to kill it. So I think it will be two magma cannons for me.

nilbog
After reading your posts and insight, I have been able to decide on what to buy for my Army. I am brand new to Chaos Dwarfs and am converting over from playing regular Dawi. I am also on Bugmans but all the talk over there is just meh. Now I don't need to waste money on things that won't work for me.

AWESOME JOB!

nilbog:

After reading your posts and insight, I have been able to decide on what to buy for my Army. I am brand new to Chaos Dwarfs and am converting over from playing regular Dawi. I am also on Bugmans but all the talk over there is just meh. Now I don't need to waste money on things that won't work for me.

AWESOME JOB!

rpitts2004
Why thank you. May you long be in the fiery gaze of Hashut's blessing :cheers