[Archive] I need Banner Help!

Blue in VT:

So I just finished my first two standard bearers since I re-started painting…they have always intimidated me and I have never been happy with the results. To this point I’ve been making these very simply with adhesive stickers that I can paint then wrap around the pole and touch up…easy…but the result is fragile…often flattens out losing the interesting wrinkles a banner should have…and just don’t work that well IMO.

So…how do you make your banners? Can you point me toward some good tutorials?

thanks ya’ll!

Blue

rabotak:

you could try sheet metal - a friend who plays bretonnians always cuts up old mustard and mayonnaise packages (tubes?)

and makes his banners out of those - looks fantastic, quite robust yet flexible.

fonejaker:

hope this helps, you could substitute greenstuff or other modelling puttys!!!

MASSIVE VOODOO: Tutorial - How to build up a flag

Nicodemus:

Squeezable toothpaste tubes are a generally a combination of plastic and aluminum. Cut open a tube along the seam, clean it well with water and cut to the desired shape.  I usually use two layers glued with super glue. Two layers holds the shape a little better than a single layer.

Abecedar:

Have seen banners made using the little hand wipes you get from KFC. Dried out, cut to shape, coated with thinned PVA glue, let them dry into the shape you want with folds etc. and then paint. Much thinner than plastics but probably prone to easier damage though

snowblizz:

I’ve coated some HE paper banners (both printed GW ones and “copies” I fill in the paint) in watered down PVA. Makes it more sturdy/rigid and it holds the shape. Not that I’ve molded much a shape on them mind.

Borador:

Intresting thread, would like more info on this topic as well!

You could use thicker sheets of plasticard like Ishkur, and bend them a little bit by heating them; this method requires an extremely careful aproach as plasticard easily warps when heated.

Hashut’s Blessing:

As said, you can use a puree tube or toothpaste tube (puree is a little easier for holding its shape).

Alternatively, use the plastic banner pieces most kits have - much easier and what I do, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Borador:

To be quite honest, I think that the “massive voodoo” page linked by fonejaker might be a way to get GW like banners, you just need to get the timing right, depending on the material you use (GS, procreate and so on).

I’ll definitely try that tutorial, seems ideal for the kind of banners I need.

@fonejaker: thanks for linking, sending some slaves over to help you browse the internet ;D

fonejaker:

To be quite honest, I think that the "massive voodoo" page linked by fonejaker might be a way to get GW like banners, you just need to get the timing right, depending on the material you use (GS, procreate and so on).

I'll definately try that tutorial, seems ideal for the kind of banners I need.

@fonejaker: thanks for linking, sending some slaves over to help you browse the internet ;D

Borador

Hashut’s Blessing:

Who’s more awesome? Spellchecker.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Borador:

Who's more awesome? Spellchecker.

:P

Hashut's Blessing
Haha auch. Got automatic correction turned off since my iPod is set to Dutch -> Dutch spellchecker on iPod messes EVERYTHING up.

Tiredness + thinking = fail

Edit: fixed, I think ;P

grimsnikk:

Another way to get a semi soft putty is to mix greenstuff with sculpey. If you get it mixed, and then cut it down to the right shape quickly, you have enough time to bake it, and then warp it before the GS dries. I’ve done 50/50 mixes with good results.

As an aside, you can use playing cards to get a really convenient spacing for the banner. Get a blob of your clay onto a sheet of wax paper, and put that onto a cookie sheet. Just take a regular deck, and use the same amount of cards of both sides of the blob. You can use a roller, a pen, or any other cylinder to roll the clay perfectly flat. A small metal ruler can assist with cutting.

If you want to do the mix, it can help to use a very different color to your greenstuff (for instance, use red clay). This helps ensure that the greenstuff is evenly mixed, and then the greenstuff is evenly mixed into the baking clay. Most baking clays have a bake time that will be about 10 minutes or so with the thickness that you’ll be using. If you go straight in, your greenstuff will still be workable by the time you’re done baking. More than enough time to bend it, and tear up edges without worrying about finger prints. Once you’re done, affix in to the pole with greenstuff.

It takes a bit more time than using tin foil, or toothpaste rolls, but it looks very similar to a gw banner when you’re done. If you want to get really fancy, you can do the process in reverse. IE: mix clays, sculpt in details, allow it to dry, then bend and bake. This is handy for doing banners like Ludwig Schwartzhelm’s.

Abecedar:

@grimsnikk. But I’m not allowed in the kitchen.

Borador:

@grimsnikk.  But I'm not allowed in the kitchen.

Abecedar
Hahahahaaaa ;P

Hashut’s Blessing:

AwEsome and You’rE :wink:

Borador:

AwEsome and You'rE ;)

Hashut's Blessing
Oh in that "Who's awesome? You're awesome!" picture?
I can't see that image, and copy-pasting the url gives me a 403 ;P

On topic again: tried the "Massive Voodoo" tutorial today, only thing was; I had to do the groceries and all that.
When I came home I found out that I had forgotten to shape the flag, so now I have a cured ProCreate square, huzzah.

Trying again soon ;)

Hashut’s Blessing:

If need be, use it as a base: never waste anything :wink:

Since you did the food shopping, did you pick up anything in a metal-foil tube? You could try out that technique when you’ve finished eating the contents (or using them).

Borador:

Yeah I could always turn it into a shield or something like that.

Nope, didn’t buy anything in a metal-foil tube. Might have something like that at my dad’s, will have to investigate that soon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: