[Archive] I wanna start a "themed" unique 40k army. help?

CheTralfara:

I am thinking of starting a 40k army on the side since it seems that fantasy is disregarded and tossed to the side by GW, and there are apparently a lot more players of 40k… so anyway…

I don’t want to play any old army that everyone already has. I want to make a really original and unique themed army. Some examples of armies that intrigue me:

Genestealer Cults (overdone… but still unique!)

Exodites (Eldar with Dinosaurs!)

Chaos Orks!

Chaos Squats

Chaos Tau

Undead in 40k (using Necron rules?)

These are all in the line of originality and thought that I’d like to bring to 40k… Could you guys brainstorm with me to think of some other ideas for a really original themed army I could try?

.nick

Swissdictator:

Che: If you’re familiar with Babylon 5 at all… make the Shadows or Vorlons.

I’d recommend the Shadows. As an arachnid/insect type species they can use Tyranid rules. Plus if you can make their skin look like Shadow ships/creatures that will be beyond impressive and sinister looking.

alex:

i was thinking Road warrior/mad max imperial guard

Auretious Taak:

i was thinking Road warrior/mad max imperial guard

alex
You need bikes and buggies for that, could just take an ork Speed Freak force but meh overdone and boring. Imperial Guard don't have the units available to get anywhere near that sort of theme. You could perhaps use ork rules and just make em guard mini's but meh, overdone from a rules side with normal orks. You'd just have a Digga army from GorkaMorka then...that could actually work well to be honest. :)

Chaos Tau have been done, but people have used chaos rules for them not Tau rules which defeats the purpose really...

Chaos Squats work, there are alot of old Chaos Squat models floating around that are damned rare but still on ebay and stuff...

Kera foehunter:

chaos squats would be the best pick out of them

warh:

Space Pirates:idea

there not from 40k but from metriod prime:)

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

A Borg army using the Necron Rules - lots of infantry based on the SM servitors using the Nercomunda Pit Fighter armys ect

Maul:

I had a friend that built a chaos squat army using nurgle chaos space marines rules. I had always hoped that he would build obliterators, but he never made it to it before he sold the army off.

With nurgle CSM you get very tough troops, with the ability to summon generic demons and generic greater demons so there are a lot of possibilities there. I have a dragon themed army so I summon the old plastic dragon with no wings, and lizardmen saurses as my generic lesser demons.

snowblizz:

I think we need to narrow it down more what you are looking at doing. Do you have any ideas what you want to do in terms of models and style? What are your demands on originality (because trust me, everything has been done at least twice)? Are you looking at the play style or modelling aspects.

To be frank 5/6 of the suggestions I’ve seen in the flesh and Necron/Undead is something I’ve heard mentioned often.

two_heads_talking:

I am a huge fan of the exodites. I’ve only ever seen 4 or 5 armies in my 20 years of game play.

Gaixo:

I’ve only seen a handful of Exodite conversions, but they’re always exciting. The conversion work doesn’t seem overly involved, either. Just combine elf and eldar parts and stick them on cold ones or actual dinosaur models, basically, if you want to keep it that simple.

Chaos squats would be interesting as well, but with only a dozen “official” models you’d be doing a lot of design work to come up with a cohesive look for them. It would probably be the most rewarding if you have enough ideas to fill an army out.

CheTralfara:

I’m gonna have to keep thinking on it… I’d like to do something that’s never been done or at least barely been done at all.  I know they even have skaven 40k armies they call “hrud” and I’ve seen archanid forces using tyranid rules… The b5, borg, mad max suggestions are great visuals but i would like to try something that’s not based on tv/movies/books.  Maybe something loosely based on tv/movies/books… but not completely.   I’ll update this thread with some ideas when I can think of something new.

I am curious though, why nurgle marines would be summoning generic daemons instead of plaguebearers and great unclean ones… what gives??

It might just be that the most unique force I could make for 40k would be a Hashut daemons, Horned Rat daemons, or brand new chaos god daemons… I base all my daemons for Fantasy, but I don’t think there’s any reason why square bases can’t be used in 40k… can they?

tjub:

Genestealer Cults (overdone… but still unique!)

Exodites (Eldar with Dinosaurs!)

My absolute favourites! Except squats… :stuck_out_tongue:

TLTG:

Most people won’t complain. Tournament players might.

I had a lot of fun doing up some IG to look like the imperial army from Final Fantasy VI, complete with brown fatigues, commanders dressed in black, green-armored conscripts, and loads of sentinels with magical armaments on them. My command platoon has a straight-and-narrow buzzcut Senior Officer in a long green coat, a commissar in hideous red, green, and yellow clothing with face paint, and a sanctioned psyker female with blond hair and a big sword.

I haven’t figured out what to do with the tanks yet, but it’s on hold until the new book comes out anyway.

One of the things I’ve been dying to do was a Doctor Who themed Necron army. Standard Necrons as Cybermen, Immortals as Daleks, and for the unlikely alliance a stolen TARDIS for a monolith and the Master as the Necron Lord. I don’t really know what I’d use for the rest of them, but I know Citadel once upon a time actually made appropriately scaled kits for Daleks and Cybermen back in the 80s. I would kill a man to get my hands on those.

snowblizz:

I am curious though, why nurgle marines would be summoning generic daemons instead of plaguebearers and great unclean ones... what gives??

CheTralfara
Because GW in their infinite wisdom finally realised that 90% of all Chaos armies MUST be Renegades (despite 20 years of background explaining the opposite) and would thus only have access to generic deamons (something seldom actually refered to in the fluff before this) for reasons no sane person can decipher.
[^_ sarcasm was used extensively]

Basically the new codex removed all "god specific" deamons and introduced "generic deamons". The "fun" thing is that while yes, people were asking for it, it wasn't to *replace* the previous deamons but in *addition to*. In fact that's the way most of the codex went. GW implemented player wished by removing and replacing things when what was asked for was more options.

Yes, I'm somewhat bitter, my 10k or so CSM army entitles me to be that IMNSHO.
It might just be that the most unique force I could make for 40k would be a Hashut daemons, Horned Rat daemons, or brand new chaos god daemons... I base all my daemons for Fantasy, but I don't think there's any reason why square bases can't be used in 40k... can they?

CheTralfara
Can and can. Yes in my book and any player's I've met. But there's always that one exception, you know the guy. Some Deamons only came on square bases previously so I'd probably flip off someone complaining and describe what I feel about their intelligence, general hygiene and family relations. I have a sharp tongue when I want to...
Essentially the base shape (and indeed size) isn't as critical in 40k and a 25mm square isn't far removed in size from a 25mm round.

so.sad:

Ah well.

If you want to have fun playing I do recommand NOT to choose Necrons. With the current 5th edition rule set those are underpowered. Its arguable how much but its a fact that they won’t win much, especially if you arent a very experienced gamer.

If you want sth. playable I’d go for exodite eldar.

seer council on jetbikes (eldar on decorated reptiles), 2 large units of guardian jetbikes (eldar on jetbikes), serpent + asurians, vyper squad (flying reptiles) and a fire prism and you are good to go.

I’d had another suggestion though: pre herasy Adeptus Custodes

cool weapons, cool armor, cool fluff and jetbikes!

CheTralfara:

Because GW in their infinite wisdom finally realised that 90% of all Chaos armies MUST be Renegades (despite 20 years of background explaining the opposite) and would thus only have access to generic deamons (something seldom actually refered to in the fluff before this) for reasons no sane person can decipher.
What do you mean by "Renegades"? Why does that limit them to generic daemons? Does renegade mean undivided? Ever see the movie "Renegade" (also known as "Blueberry" outside of the US) BRILLIANT film, extremely tripped out.

What do the generic daemon rules look like? do most people just use the standard core daemons as generics?

Astranagant:

What do you mean by "Renegades"? Why does that limit them to generic daemons? Does renegade mean undivided? Ever see the movie "Renegade" (also known as "Blueberry" outside of the US) BRILLIANT film, extremely tripped out.

What do the generic daemon rules look like? do most people just use the standard core daemons as generics?

CheTralfara
From what I could tell from skimming through the book, instead of Screamers, Furies, etc... they gave the CSM a Fast Attack Demon, a Troops Demon, and a Greater Demon, pretty much like the ones in the Hunter Codices. In addition, they replaced an extremely generous and flexible list of wargear with "Upgrades" and "Options". So goodbye unit of Tzeentch Chosen Terminators with Minor Psychic powers and other goodies, goodbye heavily mutated Chaos Lieutenant, etc...

Glad I never finished my Steel Cobras Undivided Mercs...

snowblizz:

From what I could tell from skimming through the book, instead of Screamers, Furies, etc... they gave the CSM a Fast Attack Demon, a Troops Demon, and a Greater Demon, pretty much like the ones in the Hunter Codices.  In addition, they replaced an extremely generous and flexible list of wargear with "Upgrades" and "Options".  So goodbye unit of Tzeentch Chosen Terminators with Minor Psychic powers and other goodies, goodbye heavily mutated Chaos Lieutenant, etc...

Glad I never finished my Steel Cobras Undivided Mercs...

Astranagant
*Tsk* *tsk* *tsk*
Did no one tell you you should not post about things you don't know? I'm just joking, you are quite close there.
There are 2 kinds of Deamons in the codex. Lesser deamons (Troop, regular infantry) and a greater deamon (HQ, monstrous creature). No special abilities, no differentiation, not even the ability to mark them (which would have gone a long way IMHO). Now I'm sure some of the bitching was about loosing the powerful Deamonettes and Bloodletter rules. Personally I have loads of Deamonettes because I like the models (yes, we all know why) and it just isn't the same when Furies/Flesh Hounds/Screamers/Bloodletters etc etc etc are all represented by the same stat line. And the GD is problematic in that it might nuke one of your important characters, though in either case it will at least take out champion model Sucks if he had equipment.
To add injury to insult there are NO models for any "generic" deamons. And the only Undivided deamon is a flyer, but summoned deamons are infantry... :~

What GW means by "renegades" are those CSM that are not originally from the Traitor Legions. Over time Some chapters and even more individual or squads have lost faith in the Imperium and some even turn to Chaos (a big percentage I bet). The idea here is that these marines will not have had the millennia of Chaos worship and demonic pacts and should not be so mutated and corrupt as the original Traitors. Though they suddenly forget everything they knew about being "loyal" and turn in any non-appropriate equipment before they leave...
2nd edition simulated with this in allowing CSM to buy Space Marine wargear at a 50% mark-up.
Now what GW has done now is went and said "we thought most marines had to be Renegades, look at how long ago it was!  so that is how we focused the book". This isn't consistent with 20 years of other background though.
The problem is really that people wanted the ability to "mark" CSM units without creating Cult marines and GW answered them by going waaaay too far in that direction. They know the book was crap imagewise and have been trying to cover their asses ever since.

GRNDL:

As Snowblizz says, the CSM Codex covers your vanilla Chaos Space Marine chapter and not cult or Ruinous power aligned armies. GW said, at least on the the rumour mill, that they would eventually release books covering World Eaters, Death Guard, etc, in a similar fashion to the loyalist Space Marine Codexes such as Dark Angels, Black Templars, et al. Obviously, this has yet to pass, if it ever will.