[Archive] IanC's blog of little evil men

IanC:

Otherwise known as "Chaos Dwarfs"

Hello! Ive been playing Warhmmer for around a year or so. Done a few armies (though only finished one) and am currently working on High Elves, Daemons of Chaos, and of course, Chaos Dwarfs. Im using the list from the Throne of Chaos book, and using the forge world models with conversions where needed.

So far I have a unit of Infernal Guard that need some repair work (resin models falling  onto concrete = :(), a Siege Giant, and the two things I am posting about today. Nothing painted yet (hehe, my High Elves will share the pain of unpaintedness…) though i have got a few ideas in mind. Anyway…

Heres a unit of converted Blunderbuss armed CDs. They use the Thunderer bits from non-chaos dwarfs (one of my failed armies) with some green stuffing for the arms, the end of the rifles changed to blunderbusses using a buckler and some more green stuffing. Finally I decided to convert the command, with parts from the same sprue, and plenty of greenstuff. Oh and the head for the champion i saw someone do on here - its a green stuff cast of one of the mutation arms.

Will be picking up a Hellcannon tomorrow, and Forgeworld sent out my order of characters (to join the single HellSmith show model, which will be used as a Daemonsmith) and the Death Shrieker Rocket.

furrie:

Nice start, can’t wait to see some paint on your blundies

Ghrask Dragh:

Yep, thats a great start mate

Some close ups of that green head would be nice, stands out as a champion there, be great painted :slight_smile:

Karring:

Cool, work. I am glad to see I am not the only who plays blunderbuss!

Your conversion work looks nice. Cannot wait to see them painted…

DAGabriel:

Good start, hope you put my slave to work on the painting!

IanC:

Cheers all. Hopefully the weather tomorrow will be good enough for me to get some stuff undercoated. I will try to get a closer shot of the champ before I do that though.

I did sme work on the standard tonight. Clipped the horns off the dwarf head and filed it to make it look less dwarfish. I also made a press mould of a angular skull which I will use for some detail on the banner.

Got my hell cannon today too :smiley: awesome model.

Thorgar:

They look great, I cant wait to get some of my own Infernal Guard.

IanC:

Close up of the champ and standard.

And I got started painting my Hellcannon today.

So far the cannon itself i have painted the daemonic skulls. Mephitison Red base, then dry brush Troll Slayer Orange and Flash Gitz Yellow, with a glaze of Bloodletter Glaze.

Came together pretty well I think! The base is going to be snow covered, with a pool of slush where the “furnace” is, make it look like the snow has melted from, well, the heat :slight_smile:

Also I didn’t notice when i was choosing the fence to use as basing detail, and you may not be able to see it well in the photo, but theres a goblin hiding under the fence :smiley: Nice little touch, i thought!

:hat off

IanC:

Small update time!

Finished the base for the Hellcannon.

The white snow was a bitch to take a photo of sadly :frowning: Its off white, with a highlight of a purer white on top.

The Hellcannon itself is slowly taking shape, the brass bits need a highlight and then its onto the next metal stage. You can also see a start at the flesh on the Siege Giant, thought id go for a very pale colour.

Finally I’m thinking on how to do Hobgoblins. Way I see it i have 3 options
1> Stormvermin bodies, with Night goblin heads/arms
2> Clanrats bodies/arms, with either Night Goblin or Gnoblar heads (of course if i want bows i will have to source them from somewhere)
3> Say screw it and just use Night Goblins.

Thoughts? :cheers

Kronosv13:

Looks good, Nice sculpting on the champions mask, the blunderbuss conversion look very nice

For the hobgoblins, I’d say night goblins, converted to be stretched out, wouldn’t be to hard, really just filling in gaps with gs, and maybe needing to remodel the leg/s feet depending on how neat you cutting is.

Alternatively you could use 40k gretchin, you get ten in a pack, 5 I believe with a hand weapon and pistol and 5 with a holding a large pistol. Cut off the pistols from the ones with a hand weapon and add shields, and the ones holding a large pistol, simply add a spear tip, or any suitable bit to make a small, goblin made blunderbuss which acts like a bow in games. Think it would be quite suitable, just an idea I had some time ago but never got the ball rolling on…

You can have your thread back now :slight_smile:

IanC:

Good ideas there! I didn’t think about using Gretchin (despite having a 40k Ork army. Which I never finished. Yeah, Im a “hobby butterfly” flitting from project to project…)

I finished the Siege Giant and Hellcannon today though. Next will be the Hellcannon crew, and get started on the Blunderbuss guys.

vulcanologist:

Your army is coming along very nicely! For my own hobgoblins I use plague monk bodies and goblin heads by the way!

IanC:

Well i while i was out today i picked up a box of Ogre Leadbelchers and Gnoblars.

Going to use the Ogres as Unit Fillers. But man, the one Leadbelcher I tried to assemble (the one with a Gnoblar on his shoulder) was a bitch to assemble. So i put it to one side and decide to work on some Hobgobbos.

Using the more weaker, smaller looking Skaven Clanrats (I have two sprues. From another army. Yeah.). You get ten of them (most people use them as Skaven Slaves) on each sprue. Combine with the Gnoblar heads, some minor green stuffing where needed, trimming of the furry bits, the tails, and well, i think they work pretty well. :h

I have enough Skaven for another 15 like this :slight_smile: Need to figure out how to do command, but that should be easy enough!

Might even knock up a Khan using a Skaven Warlord as a base… :wink:

:cheers

Karring:

Excellent hobbos, Ian!!

Cannot wait to see them painted

khedyarl:

Wait… Is this Ian from the Penny Arcade hobby forum/Warforge?

IanC:

Excellent hobbos, Ian!!

Cannot wait to see them painted

Karring
Thanks! Not sure when I will get to do them. I am forcing myself to paint 10 more High Elf spearmen this week.... Though I will sneak some Chaos Dwarfs in. Started the Hellcannon crew today :)
Wait... Is this Ian from the Penny Arcade hobby forum/Warforge?

khedyarl
Nope, don't post on PA (thought I do love the webcomic) or Warforge. I usually hang around on Heresy Online. :hat off

khedyarl:

Gotcha - Heh. He usually posts under Ian, and has an Ork army, figured I’d ask.

Liking the brass on the giant a lot.

IanC:

Finished the first 10 Hobgoblins! :h

Think they look pretty damn good :slight_smile: Pretty basic paint scheme, but i looks good in a group, which is what counts for a large, basic unit like Hobbos.

Though looking at them i realised i forgot to paint the teeth on the ones that have visible, well, teeth. Oops. Will fix that soon!

IanC:

Finished the first 10 Hobgoblins! :h

Think they look pretty damn good :slight_smile: Pretty basic paint scheme, but i looks good in a group, which is what counts for a large, basic unit like Hobbos.

Though looking at them i realised i forgot to paint the teeth on the ones that have visible, well, teeth. Oops. Will fix that soon!

Karring:

Very Nice! The contrast green/red likes cool.

Keep up the good work.