[Archive] Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column Drawings

Admiral:

[align=center]:hashut[/align]

Chaos Dwarfs sport a heady and bewildering mix of styles if one take all the different designs together: Both Games Workshop’s and independent designers’ take on the archetype. Since I’m currently lying sick at home and can’t get any proper sculpting for casting done, it seemed a good time to draw something:

These are the starter doodles. The plan is to cover a range of strange Chaos Dwarf-appropriate styles of pillar. For upcoming pillars I’ve got some ideas going that are more or less freaky or obvious, but I know that this is a nest of creative people that are likely to come up with ideas from other angles, and sheer brilliant concepts. Better tap into this resource that happens to be You.

Do you have any ideas for shapes, ornaments or something completely different that you think would make for a good Chaos Dwarf pillar? Remember that columns can be shaped as statues akin to Atlas, Kariatides or angular Lammasus as in the 4th edition artpiece, and that’s only the start of the outlandish possibilities. One could have caged or shackled Daemons or something much weirder.

So, ideas? All input welcome. :cheers

Below are some historical reference pictures, in case something would spark inspiration:

tjub:

Haha, you are one of a kind! :stuck_out_tongue: Im amazed by your creativity, you should compile it to the Chaos Dwarf Ultimate Sourcebook. :hat off

Uther the unhinged:

Even sick yoi are that creative. Wow.I love the fat skull column.

If you did not go classical/babylonian etc

You could imagine a column of slaves. Ogre crushed by orc crushed by hobgoblin crushed by goblin supprting a classic slull with lighting bolt crack. Or just a sickening heap of greenskins. Or even a pillar carved to look like flames with or without tortured faces in it. Just don�?Tt ask me to draw it.

Ghrask Dragh:

When I’m thinking of things I could do wih Chaos Dwarfs (and anything hobby) I tend to get so many different ideas and threads I end up wih headaches thinking about them too much… I have no idea how sift through all these amazing things and not collapse!
Hope you feel better soon

Although I enjoy the ‘Ziggernaughty’ (yeah it’s a word!) style that the most popular incarnation of Chaos Dwarfs enjoy my love always goes back to the Marauder, creepy, haunted castle and spooky forest theme I did years ago. Hence the first column of your 3 above is my fav, maybe with a few haunted or deamon bound faces in the brick work ready to scare any visitors away…

Haha, you are one of a kind! :stuck_out_tongue: Im amazed by your creativity, you should compile it to the Chaos Dwarf Ultimate Sourcebook. :hat off

tjub
I’d buy it!

Uther the unhinged:

Ok thinking about how I�?Td make a column (bearing in mind my skills or lack of). Two options really:

1. The classic Tower of Tjublings: three tjubling blunderbussers back to back (flat hats) supporting disc adornded with gw skulls round the edge then three more tjublings (axe or gun) offset to the ones below again with flat hats , supporting … well you get the idea go as high as you like or as wide.

2.Following the column of slaves idea, but not doing my own sculptong (always best not to in my case). Start with a base column completely covered with Admiral slave orc heads, particularly the caged pnes.

A palisade of columns surrounding walls of Admiral wall friezes now that would be sweet.

Now just got to think of the roof…

Uther the unhinged:

Oh Wow. Imagine the old eternity stair (I love that model) but with the sides made up of tjublings. A giant Trajans (Tjubs) column with the platform supported not by dog things

Abecedar:

Oh dear too many ideas, I think I�?Tll have to go lie down

Uther the unhinged
You do that, It helps...... I know. Imagination far outstrips skill in my case.
A few years ago i looked up, and saved a lot of corbelling and stuff but in the end decided to go with a simpler plan considering how many I would have to do if it ever gets finished

Forgefire:

I like the first one for its classical evil simple look. And i do like the design of the last one also.

Admiral:

Thank you, folks! Useful stuff.

@Well, that’s been the plan since early on. At least with the Chaos Dwarf writings (with illustrations), and I’m not talking about just my writings. But there is so much left to do. Way too early for a sourcebook. :slight_smile:

@Uther the Unhinged: Perfect! Just the kind of ideas I was looking for. Thank you very much, I’ll try something out based on some idea of yours if the sickness perseveres longer. Very good scenery concepts, by the way! Also, creativity doesn’t rest. In fact a fever or a healthy dream can give you wilder ideas than usual.

@Ghrask Dragh: Nice idea with the Daemon faces. Gotta try it out. Thanks for good style suggestions!

@Abecedar: The other way around! Don’t retreat from the crazy ideas, surf on the madness instead.

@Forgefire: Tack!

Nurgle’s rot starts to ebb out. Might not get more drawing done if it dissipates enough by tomorrow. Borrowed the use of a scanner. Here is a pageful of columns, will draw more if still sick, and try some wackier ideas. Please shout out any further ideas out that you have. :cheers

Carcearion:

Oooh! I am particularly fond of the Minoan pillar. Although I feel it could use similar decorations to the hat on the Kariatides pillar.

Kamphre:

I wish I could draw like you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They all look cool and inventive.

Here are my ideas :

- a column with a gear base and endless vice in the middle. Can be used as individual elevator, or rise a platform above a crowd, or down into the mines or a sacrificial pit (Indiana Jones !).

- columns with cages , to keep important prisoners visible for everyone else, something to be proud of, like jewels.

- columns with chains, acting like command board. Actionning a chain transmit a signal to a slave driver. He can act to please his master : open a lava gate to illuminate a room, close protections, bring food, etc.

- maybe hexagonal stones, slightly rotated while piled up. It could give an effect that only dwarfs can master.

Enjoysrandom:

Perfection as always Admiral, love the ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Also that Dwarf pillar is drawn so well! need someone sculpting these pillars and lammasu end pillars!

Bloodbeard:

Your creativity is off the charts Admiral! Your drawing skills is great. This is some awesome concepts. … and they would be very hard to build.

Admiral:

@Carcearion: Thanks! My brother insisted on a hat column, see below. It did not receive central ornamentation since it’s supposed to work in a forest of pillars, but perhaps it works as detail addition nevertheless?

@Kamphre: Thank you! Keep at it, one only gets better by practice. :slight_smile:

Very nice column ideas! All of them is worth drawing or modelling. Did the cage one, although I see now that I actually misread your description (perhaps something like this could be used for a model?). The gears variant call out for a modelling scenery project.

I would particularly have liked to draw the column made of twisted hexagonal stones (spiral or zig-zag twisting?), but would need to draw from reference. Hm, maybe cut up some cheese and spear a toothpick through the pieces? Shelved for later, good idea of yours!

@Enjoysrandom: Thank you kindly! Hehe, perhaps Carcearion of Adrian could be persuaded to tackle some suchlike designs? Will be happy myself to try out something based on one or more of them. Eventually. :wink:

@Bloodbeard: Thank you very much! The point about hard to build is a good one. See below.

Didn’t bring sculpting stuff to the place where I sleep when working away this week. Drew some more columns instead in the spare time. You folks have come with lots of useful advice! Thanks a lot!

Acted on some of it more or less directly, and have distant plans to model or draw something more based on others of your ideas (not least a Trajan’s column of Tjublings).

Bloodbeard’s good point about the column designs being hard to build led to some pillars of simpler shape, mainly in the top row. Also drew a cage column, partially inspired by Kamphre’s idea:

Ghrask Dragh:

Oh my! Many more fans now, love the big hat and the chain and the slaves and the biggest beard on CDO! So so cool, when I get back around to my CD’S I’m going go make a point to visit your many threads for inspiration

Carcearion:

Oh my! I love the hat column! :hat off

Timothy Archer:

this is just really really cool . the last columns , the slaves , the finger , the cd face and the daemonic , they are just insane , so good

tjub:

Hah, great work Admiral! My a future as a dark architect? :smiley: