[Archive] IG Ranking

Skamandude:

So, i’ve painted enough of these suckers to start putting some thought into how the hell i’m going to get them to rank up. I’ve read stories of people who’ve had difficulty which has got me worried.

I’ve got myself some lava bases which are painted and ready to go (and varying height per model isnt an option really) I just need some tips/tricks to get them to line up. I can already see it being a ballache from some test attempts.

Anyone got any magic solution to getting these to work?

CopperPot:

The models in the centre of the unit need to have their shields tucked right into there body and it helps with the hand weapon facing upwards and angled inwards if you get what I mean resin bases of slightly different levels will help.

Also once your happy with the positions number the bases and movement tray so you know where they go watch out for rear ranks hand weapons sticking into the front ranks backs this is why I said about having weapons pointing upwards.

Grimstonefire:

I would suggest first test fitting them without glue against the one to the front and to the left (etc).

Then mix up some greenstuff and put a small blob under each foot.

Press them down onto the base (making sure they are not leaning forwards/backwards) and twist until they fit nicely.

Then after they’ve been drying half an hour or so take a sharpish craft knife and slice down the sides of the feet to take off any greenstuff that blobbed out.

Greenstuff should stick them down well enough, but if they come off it will show exactly where they need to be glued down.

Ugly Green Trog:

I have cheated a little with mine and made a tray with a plasticard grid spacing them appart by 2mm this does give some small advantage with template weaponry but I always increase the blast radius by the appropriate number of mm so no one seems to mind. Its the only way to have a unit that looks good ranked up without alot of faffing.

Da Crusha:

personally I like to dry fit the models together when they’re too big for the base, similar to how grim said except without greenstuff.

Da Crusha:

personally I like to dry fit the models together when they’re too big for the base, similar to how grim said except without greenstuff. I just glue them when I get a nice fit. also, you may need to number them since IG models look near identical. they would have to go back the exact same way.