[Archive] Ignore List

Pyro Stick:

Usually on fourms, the "ignore" button only affects you. So say, for instance, you don't like Mr. X.

If you click "Ignore Mr.X." then all posts made by Mr. X won't be seen by you. However, the rest of the board can see Mr. X and his posts.

Tarrakk Blackhand
Excellent. Why isnt it working then?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

No idea. It’s a “tech” problem! :smiley:

Kera foehunter:

it link to the server!!

cornixt:

Here’s a simple fix: See who has written the post by looking at the words and pictures to the left of that post. If it is someone you wish to ignore, then don’t read it.

Willmark:

Staff would also have to discuss it first even if we did choose to enable this. I’ll check the admin panel tonight to see if this is an out of the box feature of MyBB 1.2

Also there are some limitations all: for instance you can’t choose to ignore a Staff member.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

you can't choose to ignore a Staff member

Willmark
Well...there goes my fun! ~ Just joking! Seriously...just joking.:D

Kera foehunter:

great idea cornixt !! that would be the best fix!!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Yeah, it saves all the “Tech” thinking of the problem.

Pyro Stick:

Yeah, it saves all the "Tech" thinking of the problem.

Tarrakk Blackhand
I would prefer a proper fix.

Thommy H:

I don’t see the need for such a function on a forum this small. How many regular posters do we have? Quite a few, but not enough that it isn’t the same few names you see in most threads. The ability to ignore a certain member would render a good percentage of threads essentially illegible. I can’t imagine wanting to ignore anyone in these circumstances - why contribute at all if you can’t understand half of what’s going on?

On massive forums, it’s fine, because it’s not the same half-dozen names in every thread, but on a small forum you want to contribute to, all an Ignore function would do is give members the ability to hamstring their own contributions.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

yeah…and who’s going to be on the “Iggy List” to the point where everyone would be on it?

EuphoricMelody:

To be completely honest, i think an ‘Ignore button’ would be the WORST thing to put on a forum, especially one like this, a forum without contastant flaming and spamming. Firstly, by being able to ignore certain members, you may(will!) lose out on information about anything that is talked about on the site, obviously the ammount depends on the ammount that that certain member contributes, but nonetheless it would still be the case. Secondly, most if not ALL arguement’s on this forum are causded by simple misunderstanding’s and if those people involved in those misunderstanding’s ‘ignore’ each other, then how can a misunderstanding be resolved, eventually this forum would be full of mebers ignoring each other, and when it gets to that point, how will news. rumours of new chaos dwarfs reach you!!? Also, the whoel concept of an ‘ignore button’ soubnds childish to me, isn’t using an ignore button EXACTLY what children below the ages of 10 do (i’m just sterotyping btw, i’m well aware that there’s no such thing as an ‘adult’, and that everyone remains ‘childish’ to an extent, but that’s beside the point.)?

What i think would be better, is a ‘block’ button, meaning that neither member can see each other. I have two ideas for this to work.

1) First you needf to contact a member of staff, and ask to have the ‘block’ put in effect on a certain meber, however there must be a reasobnable motive behind it, and (not sure of this part) the other member must agree to it.

2) you click the ‘block’ button for a certain member(could be integrated into your profile), and an email is sent to the other member, who must then ‘ok’ the block.

By doing this, both members acknowldge hat they cannot be civil with each other, and would be better off not having any form of contact, direct or indirect, of course the block can be removed anytime, but again both must consent, furthermore, when removing the block, the unblocking member must write to the other why they want the block to be removed.

What does everyone think?

Edit: Thommy H and Tarrack Blackhand beat me to two of my points… i need to learn to write faster:P.

Willmark:

Here’s the deal everyone this section of the site is for SUGGESTIONS, it does not mean if you suggest something the Staff is going to run out and do it.

If you have an issue with someone… might be wise to look through some of the strategies/outlines here.

Kera foehunter:

good advice willmark !!

WhyNotCrashDifferently?:

Here's the deal everyone this section of the site is for SUGGESTIONS, it does not mean if you suggest something the Staff is going to run out and do it.

If you have an issue with someone... might be wise to look through some of the strategies/outlines here.

Willmark
So that's a no?

I brought it up only because this is the first BBCode/vBulletin forum I've been a member of that had the feature disabled. I guess I don't see the reason why. How it would contribute to the forum being a less friendly or open environment I can't say, as it's a confidential decision that affects no one but the person doing the ignoring.

Clearly I'm not the only person who would make use of it.

Willmark:

To be honest I don’t see this being implemented, but something to consider in the future perhaps.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?:

Righto.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

CheTralfara:

I’d rather the staff spend their time on more productive things like running more contests… that’s just my opinion. I’ve seen other people post nasty things towards each other, had nasty things posted about me and had nasty posts directed right at me, but it’s not something that would bother me to the point of needing to actually block out the post.

I agree that it just make things confusing… Though it may seem like it would only be confusing for you, it could end up effecting the whole post. Imagine if everyone was responding to a comment made by someone you were ignoring… Then you, having no idea of the context of everyone’s post, make a really confusing post in response… That could derail the entire thread or just lead to more confusion in general… That wouldn’t happen with a huge forum, but here it’s definitely a possibility to consider…

.nick

Grimstonefire:

Che makes a good point there.  If lots of people were blocking other people the threads could get very hard to follow, particularly as sometimes they go off into obscure tangents anyway.

Although it would hopefully be unlikely here, it would also mean that people could write something about someone else knowing that they couldn’t read it.

I think Cornixt’s approach is the best.

Kera foehunter:

well we can run it like a swear jar !! pull slaves when you do something that make people fight on a post ?? mod or staff pulls the slaves??