[Archive] Immortals **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

Grimstonefire:

A different take on them

IMMORTALS  14 points/ model

.          M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Immortal   3  5  3 4 4 1 2 1 9
Eternal    3  5  3 4 4 1 2 2 9
Weapons and Armour:  Obsidian Armour, Siege Hammer and hand weapon.

Options

O  Upgrade one Immortal to Musician for +6pts

O  Upgrade one Immortal to Standard Bearer for +12 pts

O  Promote one Immortal to Eternal for +12pts

O  Immortal units can have a magical banner worth up to 50pts

Special Rules:

Inexorable Assault, Immune to Fear and Panic

Inexorable Assault:  The Immortals do not lose flank or rear rank bonuses if charged for combat resolution.

Siege Hammers.  The great weapons the Immortals carry are especially designed for defeating enemies behind defended obstacles, where the arcane magical power bound within unleashes a thunderous crack against stone and steel in equal measure.

Immortals will ignore to hit modifiers for enemies behind soft cover.  In addition, each time an enemy successfully passes an armour save from a Siege Hammer they will lose 1 point of Weapon Skill for the remainder of the combat, as they recover and regain their balance.

Obsidian Armour.  3+ Armour Save.

Da Crusha:

Those would be really good immortals.

Snotling:

Interessting rules, very characterful but a little unbalanced IHMO. The Inexorable Assault rule is pretty cool, I would keep that. The Immortals fight till the end, whatever comes. They could even refuse to give the enemies boni when the Immortals are outnumbered.

The Siege Hammers sound a little complicated. When they hit for example teo enemy models and they pass their armour save, does the whole unit suffer the -1 weapon skill? this doesn’t make sense for me, even if I think that the idea behind the rule is kind of cool. But maybe you should express the power behind their attacks in a different way. Anyways, I like special unit with hand weapon and shield more ^^

Hm, and a 3+ Armour Save for the Obsidian Armour… they are tougher than Gromril, Chaos and Plate Armours… isn’t this a little too much?

Well, this is my opinion ^^

Grimstonefire:

Well, Gromril/chaos armour + shield is equivalent (even if they can’t normally use it with a great weapon).  I wanted these guys to be 'ard, but I guess in order for them to have that they would need to go up at least 1 point/model (edited).

I wanted to try and make them a little like thunder hammers, but reducing an enemy in Initiative seems a bit redundant really (as the immortals will almost always strike last anyway, except if it took it down to I1 and they were against great weapon armed enemies).  Is there another way I could represent them getting an almighty thunder crack hammer blow and finding it harder to fight back?  Something simple.

My version will probably be too confusing in 8th ed anyway if people are fighting in two ranks, I think I will need to rethink that as it would be hard to keep a tally of.

My theory is that these guys win through static combat resolution, and by being damn hard to kill.  Not by being particularly strong in offensive attacks/ special rules.  So by making it harder for the enemy to attack them in a SCR battle is playing to their strengths.

Baggronor:

I really, really like the retaining ranks even is charged rule, nice alternative to stubborn.

I do think a 3+ save without a shield is craziness however.

Are the weapons magical? I assume so, as their rule is described as being magical.

If Hammerers with shields are 13, then I would say these guys should be more like 15. You’re effectively allowing them to use shields while also using great weapons, the Ld/psychology could be considered equal, and you’re also giving them the WS penalty effect, plus(?) magical attacks.

Micge:

I really like those rules. They are really undercosted now though. Maybe make them cost 1 or 2 points more? The thunder hammer ability could be represented with something like -1 to hit in the following rounds or something like that. Good work

Thommy H:

I think they should be a few more points for all those buffs.

Baggronor:

I think the potential danger is that they become so mega and elite that they cost a lot and then can’t really take advantage of the retaining ranks thing. Its a tricky balance, they do have an awful lot of rules.

Is there another way I could represent them getting an almighty thunder crack hammer blow and finding it harder to fight back?
I think the siege hammer thing is a bit too fiddly and impractical as it stands. Perhaps just make it a flat -1WS penalty to the enemy for the remainder of the combat, after the Immortals have made a round of attacks? Or maybe the enemy loses strength bonuses for halberds/great weapons/lances? Or can’t fight in ranks? Or have their attacks reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1)?

Also, do they have any additional effect against buildings/STanks/chariots, etc?

Grimstonefire:

How about this then:

IMMORTALS  15 points/ model

Options

O  May carry shields +1pt/model

Special Rules:

Inexorable Assault:  The Immortals do not lose flank or rear rank bonuses if charged for combat resolution.

Siege Hammers.  The great weapons the Immortals carry are especially designed for defeating enemies behind defended obstacles, where the arcane magical power bound within unleashes a thunderous crack against stone and steel in equal measure.

Magical Attacks.  Immortals will ignore to hit modifiers for enemies behind soft cover.  In addition, all enemies in combat with the Immortals will be -1Ws for the duration of the combat after the Immortals have attacked, as they recover and regain their balance.

Obsidian Armour.  4+ Armour Save.

I think ignoring the soft cover modifier takes into account buildings as far as I wanted to go. against Steam tanks etc… they should be durable enough to take a beating. Hard to say whether I should make the siege hammer something that can do damage specifically to those, as it would be too obvious.

Henroth:

How about this then:

IMMORTALS  15 points/ model

Options
O  May carry shields +1pt/model

Special Rules:

Magical Attacks.  Immortals will ignore to hit modifiers for enemies behind soft cover.  In addition, all enemies in combat with the Immortals will be -1Ws for the duration of the combat after the Immortals have attacked, as they recover and regain their balance.

Obsidian Armour. 3+ Armour Save.

I think ignoring the soft cover modifier takes into account buildings as far as I wanted to go.  against Steam tanks etc...  they should be durable enough to take a beating.  Hard to say whether I should make the siege hammer something that can do damage specifically to those, as it would be too obvious.

Grimstonefire Better this way. :)