[Archive] Infantry sized k'daai

Grimstonefire:

Your thoughts fluff/rules/ models wise.

The rules would be scaled down to suit their profile.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Bad idea on all levels. Maybe for a Demons of Chaos book but not us.

Bolg:

Make cool models, and then use them as those elite CD warriors that are in the book.

(but I really like the idea)

Nicodemus:

Keep Blazing Body and Burning Bright and immune to psych.

One fun idea model-wise would be to keep these as Chaos Dwarfs, but have them wearing oversized armour that is all ablaze with a bound daemon within. These would basically be like kamikaze CDs… Maybe with furnaces on their backs too.

Oh, and singed beards.

Just off the top of my head.

~N

Abecedar:

Keep Blazing Body and Burning Bright and immune to psych.

One fun idea model-wise would be to keep these as Chaos Dwarfs, but have them wearing oversized armour that is all ablaze with a bound daemon within. These would basically be like kamikaze CDs... Maybe with furnaces on their backs too.

Oh, and singed beards.

Just off the top of my head.
~N

Nicodemus
No singed beards, thats just not cricket. Great idea but ...
Have a suitable slave locked into the armour instead, and the bound daemon is feeding of its body and soul as it goes into battle

Skink:

Oh yeah I can totally see this happen! If Daemonsmiths can create monstrous robots driven by Daemons I can’t see why they cannot make them smaller.

I imagine them as Bloodletters with S4, Burning bright and Blazing body. Maybe Blazing body can start at S3 and grow to S4 or S5 depending on how many mini-K’daais are in the unit (to represent the heat they generate). Infantry, on a 40mm base. Maybe they can be upgraded to have chains and flails instead of hands to be represented as “fight in extra ranks”?

Another option would be to make mini-me K’daais (the Daemon dolls of Snotling come to mind). Maybe they can be skirmishers?

Gunnerson:

Oh yeah I can totally see this happen! If Daemonsmiths can create monstrous robots driven by Daemons I can't see why they cannot make them smaller.

Skink
They dont have the microscopes and microprocessors yet.:D

Geist:

To make this work you have to fix a singular problem that makes anything less than a destroyer just not work. The toughness test while great as a balance system for the destroyer makes the fireborn suffer a massive penalty for a insane point cost to rules mix. While that is not the issue per say of this new unit it still would need to be addressed handled and fixed. So first off to make it all scale to itself inside the book(which all the other 8th ed books are doing a fine job on), you first have to replace the toughness test with just a test to be failed on a die roll. Next scale back the cost of the fireborn to reflect the limited damage output they have. Then introduce this smaller fireborn with a point cost equal to his reduced size and nature. In short this aspect of the book needs a total over haul and the new unit would just gum up the works if put into place with out all that being done first.

Vogon:

To be honest I�?Tm not sure about this one.   Note:  All of this is from a background perspective not a game/model perspective which I think would be cool as :slight_smile:

I expect that the binding of daemons to the K�?TDaai �?oframe�?� in order to animate them is a lot of effort so attempting it for anything less than ogre sized creations is probably not worth it from the Daemonsmith�?Ts point of view.

Also attempting summon, bind and animate a unit�?Ts worth of dwarf sized K�?TDaai in the sort of numbers for the unit to be effective would probably involve far more effort than summoning a single K�?Tdaai Destroyer so from an effort/benefit perspective the Daemonsmith would again probably go for the Destroyer.

From a background perspective the only way I could see it would be if they were created by �?oapprentice�?� Daemonsmiths as part of their training practicing the summoning and binding rituals on smaller weaker daemons and then herding them into battle.  

This could give rise to a mixed unit of some sort with the unit of K�?TDaai led (or prodded from the back) by a couple of level 1 apprentices possibly limited to only being able to use  the Lore of Fire signature spell.

In fact the more I think about this the more I like the idea :slight_smile:

Cheers

Vogon

P.S. Sorry, that was a bit rambling.

Edit, this could also go some way to solve the burning bright rule with the apprentices able to repair the K’Daai restoring wounds/models during the game up to but not exceeding the starting number provided they’re not busy in combat. Just a thought.