[Archive] Infernal guard, unit size?

Swissdictator:

Currently planning on running them Hw/Sh. Partially because I don’t want to convert all my existing models. Though I also look at it and think that they are S4, so they have ability to wound. So perhaps a solid armor save to go and make them, as Dwarfs should be, tough to kill. A pip better save and a perry is nice, especially if we random get the 5+ ward instead due to random flaming (totally parking on an Anvil of Vaul if I can). Throw in the armor piercing banner, and we are fairly deadly. Plus we got some really deadly ranged and very effective magic that I hope that enemy will be cut up enough by the time they hit.

So, bearing in mind I’m Hw/SH, I assume going narrow is a bit better than wider (to deny attacks and be more likely to have steadfast). Currently looking at 25 strong, though I have considered 30, at the 2000 point level. Dropping from 30 to 25 gave me enough points to get some other things I could use (Slave Ogres and some Hobgoblin wolf riders for chaff).

nilbog:

I run two units of 25, 5x5. They are hard to get rid of but don’t do much damage in return unless you augment them (e.g. flaming sword of rhuin, or hatred from the lore of hashut).

If you up the size to 30, you can put them in horde formation. If you’ve got a castellan in the unit, they’ll be stubborn anyway so you don’t need to worry about steadfast.

Swissdictator:

I hadn’t even noticed, or had forgotten, the Castellan was stubborn. That is awesome! Tempting to add a second for the other block now, though I’d have to lose some extras and I like having a Daemonsmith (2 with Sorc. Lord) to support the war machines.

I’m so used to the old ravening hordes list, this is still all very new. Thank you for pointing that out.

nilbog:

I'm so used to the old ravening hordes list, this is still all very new. Thank you for pointing that out.

Swissdictator
You're welcome! :cheers

If you're going to run two units of infernal guard, something you may want to consider is putting the crown of command on your sorcerer-prophet; then you'll have two stubborn blocks and not need to worry about steadfast. Normally one daemonsmith is enough to look after your warmachines.

rpitts2004:

I just plop down one unit of 40 and watch people cry when they find out they are stubborn =D

tvandyke:

If you're going to run two units of infernal guard, something you may want to consider is putting the crown of command on your sorcerer-prophet; then you'll have two stubborn blocks and not need to worry about steadfast. Normally one daemonsmith is enough to look after your warmachines.

nilbog
This is what I do. I run two units of 23 with hw/shield. Castellan BSB goes in one unit, Sorcerer-prophet goes in the other with Crown of Command. Two stubborn units, 24 strong, 6 across, 4 deep. I have the Castallan and Prophet tooled up so they both have a 2+ armor save and 4+ ward. They are hard to kill and keep those units stubborn. I've lost the units but when I do it usually takes quite a few combat rounds. Either the unit gets killed off and the Prophet and/or Castellan are still standing or some bad luck goes against me and the Prophet and/or Castellen get killed. When that happens, stubborn is gone and you'd better hope you keep winning combat. The bottom line is that due to the fact that at least one unit is going to be stubborn due to most everyone having a BSB Castellan, it's really just a waste of points to make these units much bigger than 25 strong.

Tom The Cruel:

Yep I’m planning on using the stubborn to put 30 into horde formation, they are tough but I want to get as many attacks as possible back on the enemy, I use the war banner and hope to get off breath of hatred on them too maybe I’m playing wrong but most of the time I think we will get charged so like to be ready for that.

TTC

:slight_smile: