[Archive] Internet Explorer O' how do I F&!&@&!& Loathe thee

Willmark:

For those who don’t know I support PCs and Macs at my job. I dabble with a couple distros of Linux as well. For a browser I use Firefox on every platform I run. And then there is Internet Explorer… I’d call it a piece of crap, but that would actually be an insult to things that truly are pieces of crap… IE7 are you kidding me? Just how slow has this thing become, the 2-14 security update brought its “performance” down from abysmal to downright laughable.

All started when I went to check a few things on my router IE refused to display anything when Safari and Firefox could clearly get to it. Deciding to waste no time I opted for the “nuke um from orbit” option and blew it away reverting back to IE6 for router connection duties…

Vexxus:

IE has major crashing issues right now… so bogus. I use Mozilla Firefox also, but MSN mail comes up in IE :frowning:

Vasquez:

Nice to see that more and more people actually move away from the IE… only use MAC - at home and at work - and Mozilla as a main browser (Safari as secondary)… But the annoing part of it all is that every time I program a website at work, I have to test is on IE… And somehow IE is always fucin up what works perfectly in other browsers :frowning: So… in other words, I couldn’t agree more… IE is some bull(centaur)*#^! indeed.

asheira:

honistly I prefer IE

only because thanks to my thousands of virises on my laptop i can’t run firefox.

(that’s what i get for picking up a random computer i found)

THANK GOD FOR MY NEW COMPUTER!!!

Haven’t gotten anything new on it yet.

Willmark:

Nice to see that more and more people actually move away from the IE... only use MAC - at home and at work - and Mozilla as a main browser (Safari as secondary)... But the annoing part of it all is that every time a program a website at work, I have to test is on IE... And somehow IE is always fuc*in* up what works perfectly in other browsers :( So... in other words, I couldn't agree more... IE is some bull(centaur)*#^! indeed.

Vasquez
Truer words have never rung out. To be honest for 95% of the computing public (home user that is) the Mac would be a great choice. Hard to imagine, but most people don't need a PC. The vast majority of people; surf the web, send email, hook up their IPod and transfer songs. Some might use their computers for photos and movies for which programs like iPhoto and and iMovie totally own.

Thats not even considering the strength of UNIX and services like launchd and EFI for boot services. Mac OSX 10.5 is now 100% UNIX certified. It makes Windows look like what it is...

Use what you want I say, but there is no better example of what is wrong with MS's code philosophy then IE.
honistly I prefer IE
only because thanks to my thousands of virises on my laptop i can't run firefox.

(that's what i get for picking up a random computer i found)

THANK GOD FOR MY NEW COMPUTER!!!
Haven't gotten anything new on it yet.

asheira
Download a copy of Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com and install that. More then likely it will meet your needs quite nicely.

torn:

dont really like the mac OSX myself, just seems a bit too dumbed down, i mean i do have more than 1 finger.

have to agree with firefox being fantastic, opening new pages in new tabs, the pop up blocker, every download in 1 download box, and the ebay toolbar have all made it a million times better than IE. i dont think ive used anything else for about 5 years, and wont be changing soon.

Willmark:

Umm assuming you mean multi button mice? OSX has supported them from the begining. The mice that come with them are 5 button…

I can get if you feel the GUI is dumbed down, its not going to appeal to everyone. The OS is hardly dumbed down.

FF though? Hands down superior. Plugins for FF kick butt too.

Perv:

Whats the diference? I’ve used Firefox in past but use IE7 now and cant see a diference. Both load instantaneously, both can open new tabs instead of new windows. I only use it for browsing so what plugins would you want?

Address bar, favourites, back, forwards, home and refresh are about the only butons I use…please enlighten me :slight_smile:

torn:

my mate had something once so he could run his pc like a mac. it was just very weird, and completely pointless. I prefer the total control i have with a pc, the fact i can fiddle with anything i want.

And to be honest how awful is I tunes, trying to copy songs over for my fiancée has put me off anything apple make for life!

Perv:

Itunes? dont even go there, one of the worst computer things ever invented !!!

Only people that like it are people with Ipods but they are biased…

Willmark:

Seeing where this is going to lead let’s just end it here. Worse thing ever? iTunes? I get there are people who don’t like it but just a tad bit hyperbolic. There are PLENTY of worse things in the world of computing.

I should have know better then to start this. Suffice to say I’ve rolled back to IE 6 on my HP at home and it working fine.

Xander:

You know what is worse? Real Player. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is no need to lock this topic, just keep everything civil and logical if you want to discuss things in this thread. :slight_smile:

Perv:

stop twisting me words you !!!  :)

"one of the worst computer things ever invented "  Not THE worst

Back on Topic, IE7 works fine and lightning quick for me…

Willmark:

Perv no twisting intended.

Xander and I were discussing this off site. If we keep it civil I’m game were all pretty much online friends here so let’s keep it fun!

For me the biggest drawback is IE’s terrible UI, and tabs that don’t make much visual sense to me. Speed on any browser is rarely an issue. You want to see fast try the new version of netscape. Very clean and speedy these days.

Perv:

Thats a smiley face at the end, not an angry one :slight_smile: That one too is happy lol I cant tell when they’re posted, look the same to me…

Willmark:

Here’s something we all can loathe: AOL!

Perv:

Am with ya there lol Was the first people I went online with and that was so long ago now…never again !!!

Willmark:

Sony’s Rootkit was another one.

Perv:

Never heard of that, sounds like a DIY dentist tool :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Normally not a big fan of Wiki for these purposes but this sums it up quite nicely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal