[Archive] Interview with a N00b

Aztec:

Hell-o there :hat off

I’ve been in the hobby for a long time, though I’m no tourney player (and can hardly remember all the rules, so bear with me) and rarely play - I more-so enjoy the army building (list) and painting. However, I do prefer that the army I’m painting is actually worth something on the table, should I be so lucky to encounter someone to play against.

I’m currently considering turning to the CDs, as I’m quite a big fan of the IG and BCR.

After skulking around, reading posts and gleaning what knowledge I can, I decided to ask a few questions myself here:

The general consensus seem to revolve around IG being equipped with either sword n’ board, or GWs - not so much the BB or the halberd-rifle-thingy, which is a shame as I really love that thing. Do people have bad experiences with the halberd-rifle-thingys, or are they simply overcosted for what they do? (Also, if you buy that upgrade, does the IG lose their shields? - or can they still use them against shooting attacks?)

Has anyone had success with using a Lammasu? After seeing the Raging Heroes version, I have to admit that I would loooove to put that in my dungeon.

If I decide to go with the CDs as my next project, I’ll probably look at some 23 IG (inc. command), the 3-dwarf character bundle and perhaps a death shrieker to get started.

Anyways, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies:)

GDD:

Hell-o there :hat off

Aztec
Hell-o Aztec!

Regarding IG's people generally agree that fireglaves are overcosted, and are best taken
in support units of 10. You would shoot stuff, and counter charge with it. Also killing chaff.
(EDIT): Oh yeah! They keep their shields vs shooting.

With GW's they can provide S6 attacks, and still have their 4+ armor save.
This is good because they are core, and one of our most reliable options to deal with high armor saves, including the lore of metal.
I suggest Titan wargames models for these.

Shields and hand weapons are the cheapest option, and with a castellan you have a solid anvil.
You should check out Sams all commers army list thread for how he uses them.
Might give you some ideas. They are quite cost effective.

Consider hobgoblin tarpits though. Units of 25 can hold off most things for a few rounds, and 40 of them are quite annoying.

Blunderbusses are better than fireglaives, in my opinion, but you would always have to use them in units of atleast 30.
And if you have a character in there they will have to deploy 11 wide to use their rules for maximum damage output..
They are potentially gloriously good, and against things like elfs they can be ridiculous.
The big BUT with these is that the unit will cost you astronomical amounts of points,
and will therefore starve your army of deployment drops..

Regarding the Lammasu he is mostly a fun choice for your army,
and should never be taken in a "competitive list" under 2600 points..
Always pick shadow, and NEVER get him into combat.
Fly around casting either Death, or Hashut with your Lord,
and hope you didn't get steed of shadows with your Lammasu. Any other spell will be a great addition to your army.
If you get Okkams mind razor you have won the Lammasu lottery.
Be carefull to hide him around your K'daai anything, paintrain, or BC. He does not like cannons.

You should check out http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11232
and http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=72

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

How you arm your IG depends on the role you want for them. Handweapon and shield is cheapest and gives the unit 3+ 6++ parry. They are a great anvil but make sure you don’t get flanked. I usually put my bsb and prophet in a unit of 28. Rest of my core is units of 20 gobbos with shields and bows. These units get in the way so the enemy can’t make a straight run to my big guns.

I havn’t had good results from fireglaives or blunderbusses. Small units generally don’t cause much in the way of damage and they arn’t great in combat because of lack of ranks or with BB your so wide that the enemy can bring multiple units on you. Gobbos can do their job better imo.

Khans are used to redirect. You always want a few of these.

If you put your prophet on a monster he will be a sitting duck. My prophet and bsb support the hobgobbos with leadership and a reroll… keeping the enemy away from your guns is key with CD

Aztec:

Thanks for the welcome and advice guys :slight_smile:

Those links were very informative, I’ll give it a thorough ponder! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Aztec

sam585:

30+ sword and board internals are the way to go, just give them razor standard and you are set. The reason why they are the best is because our army is expensive, and I would argue that you lose late game effectiveness using Infernal Guard with anything other than hand weapons+shields.

Your shooting damage is going to come from massed hobs and war machines mainly the magma cannon. Good thing about hobs is that you technically can use anything on a 20mm base to represent them so long as they look dirty and downtrodden, since they have a stat line of a basic human people wont give you funny looks.

Id argue that BC renders+ BC stubborn hero are one of our best choices for all comers, that and they look amazing.

Id not run a lammasu due to it not having much synergy with the rest of our army, but you could always say its a Tarus mount but that still really causes the same issue of bad synergy.

Aztec:

Id not run a lammasu due to it not having much synergy with the rest of our army, but you could always say its a Tarus mount but that still really causes the same issue of bad synergy.

sam585
It's a real shame - that model is gorgeous.. but I guess I could just paint it up anyway and use it as a unit filler if the wings don't get in the way. Either that or some slave ogres or minotaurs in chains.. Thanks for the input though :hat off

sam585:

sam585
It's a real shame - that model is gorgeous.. but I guess I could just paint it up anyway and use it as a unit filler if the wings don't get in the way. Either that or some slave ogres or minotaurs in chains.. Thanks for the input though :hat off

Aztec
I mean you COULD do a fast army with fireglaives or blunderbusses as core (need ranged weapons to contribute in the game since they are not gonna run over to the other side of the board). take a ton of bcentaurs, irondemons (since they can march and stuff), Kdaaii, and a Taurus using Lore of Death and play it aggressive should work fairly decently.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’ve never seen it happen but that’s just been my experiences.

Bloodbeard:

I’ve been playing a lot of games with full throttle. Lacking shooters and artilleri.

Banner of swiftness and k’daii. Fast forward and crush the enemy in close combat.

By all means bring a lamassu. Cool model and fun. Cost effective in 8th edition? No. Super cool in lucky games - wherr the winds of magic blows your way - yeah.

Geist:

To the topic of the OT and the question about the Lama or any other monsterous mount that is available in the CD Throne book is this. None of them are worth taking in a serious I wanna place or have a chance of going 5 and 0 kinda setting. Why do I say this? Several reasons:

Your mount will have good stats and you will have great benefits, these things make you think you are suddenly able to work in hand to hand combat. This is a mistake, you will die to a blender lord and most elfs over time. You will make charges that you will realize latter were a very bad idea.

Your mount has no defense at all. Sure reroll wounds on a cow is cool and all, but enough low st shots or a few really high st shots and you will loose your flying lama or cow. Which means if your too far out (your a flyer so you will be), you will be stuck on foot trying to run for cover.

Now if you just want one cause they are cool models and cool fluff. Power to you, do it. I have a kit bashed great Taurus that I think is cool as hell. Will I field in him anything other than shits and grins games? Hell no.

Aztec:

Thanks to everyone for replying! I’m still gonna stick to the basics and eventually build it all up from there :slight_smile:

So, a block of IG would probably be the start along a trio of heroes.

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go with the CDs as my next project and if so, a “lama” is definitely on the paint list, if even just to act as a unit filler. For the moment I’m going to try and (force myself to) finish my 40k: Angels of Redemption, if I don’t inflict some self-harm from painting green and bone.

Cheers,

Aztec

GDD:

I've been playing a lot of games with full throttle. Lacking shooters and artilleri.

Banner of swiftness and k'daii. Fast forward and crush the enemy in close combat.

Bloodbeard
That does sound really fun to play, but I've held off doing so
because our artillery is the obvious strength of our army.

I'm sort of scared of doing this because I feel other armies are just... Better at this :P
That if we go maximum movement our troops won't be able to support themselves.
I guess you'd have to go forward with the unbreakable K'daai and flank charge with centaurs for combat res..? Idk.

If you have any battlereports with an army like that I would be very interested to read it!

ThorAxe:

If you only have the one unit of infernal guard, sword and board makes for a good character bunker. If you give them full command, and the bsb is in the unit as well, consider giving the unit the warbanner, for massive combat resolution (possible 3 ranks, banner, warbanner, bsb banner). At that point, all the unit really needs to do is survive, maybe doing one or two wounds depending on who you are fighting. A unit of 33 (3 sets of sword and board + command set) might be better, if only to soak up wounds from combat/magic/shooting. Giving the bsb the ironcurse icon is generally a good idea for the unit, and perhaps some sort of magic resistance on the prophet is points allow might be something to consider.

In regards to a lamassu, I’ve generally had poor luck with it. lore of shadow is awesome, as the debuffs are amazing for the army, as is occams. My only issue with it is the opponents in my area do not have the types of squishy things that I would send a lord on a lamassu after, and the lord cannot stand up to monsters/characters. The lamassu tends to either be shot out from under the lord, or is targeted in close combat due to less protection than the lord. It is quite funny though to throw it at plaguebearers/bloodletters and laugh as they do not get poison/killing blow, due to those abilities being tied to their magic weapons this edition.

I’d recommend using the lamassu model without a rider, and using it as a lamassu in storm of magic games, should you wish to have one. Probably its best use there.