[Archive] Interview with Felix

Servius:

Even then… Having been given a GW Theft of IP Letter in the past… Legally you have 90 days or until date of Trial Arraignment to remove the Ad… If the remove is done before the trial… You simply contact the court and GW and state that its removed.

I received one for using an Edited copy of a logo they used… Which I had both permissions to use and edit the image from both Artist and GW Legal. They evidently lost their docs, wouldn’t accept mine. and I didnt want to fly to the UK to appear in court so I simply changed the Logo.

Grimstonefire:

What was it for? Was it for sale in some way?

Servius:

Basically Me and a friend formed a Worldwide Tournament group online… Basically to be a member you had to have verifiabily won a Rogue Trader tournament. We contacted GW and the artist of the Rogue Trader logo… Got permission to use and edit the text of the image. To say Rites of War. We also got permissions from then SSI to use Rites of War in the fair use.

About 2 years of running we made t-shirts for our group… no one profited from them as they were home made. But they had the logo. GW contacted me like 3 days after our first tournament with them with a stop order on the shirts and the use of the logo on our site. I faxed over all my documentation. they said it was fake… when it wasnt. Then i received a court summons to a UK court (Im in the US) so I contacted a lawyer. He pointed out that if I removed the logo from the site and recalled the shirts, GW would have no case, as I hadn’t profited from the use of it. So I did. contacted GW legal. I ended up having to provide the receipts for the purchased materials and had to send the shirts and copies of them to GW. They were Satisfied and dropped the case.

We were allowed to keep the name as the trademark had lapsed on Rites of War, (the game hadn’t been released in 6 years at the time. I renewed the trademark in my name, and continue to renew it.