[Archive] Iron Daemon/Skullcracker Upgrade

The Immortal Beard:

Hey fellow Dawi Zharr! I was giving some thought to an addition for our pain train and it occurred to me that a close combat related upgrade was in order. So here goes my idea:

Steam Sprayer:  30pts  (upgrade for Iron Deamon or Skullcracker)

At the start of each round close combat phase, after any impact hits have been resolved but before any blows have been struck, roll 1d6. On a roll of 4-5, the model with the Steam Sprayer may vent hot steam from the boiler against enemy units in base contact with the model. Only enemy units in base contact with the front of the model can be targeted. If a 1 is rolled, the model with the Steam Sprayer upgrade must take a toughness test or suffer a wound with no saves allowed. The hot steam deals 2d6 strength 2 hits against targeted units. Wounds caused by the hot steam do not allow armor saves or parry saves. If the Iron Deamon or Skullcracker have the Hellbound upgrade, the hot steam attack is not treated as magical.

Thoughts?

Geist:

I would make it a lil less janky and more akin to how the steam tank can vent steam.

Lets try it like this.

Vent Steam rule. Skull cracker and Iron Demon both come with it.

When a model with the vent steam rule is in combat it may elect to vent steam as well as its normal attacks. When this is done all models in base to base contact take a st4 ap hit that happens before combat begins. Almost exactly like the blazing body rule for kadai. In addition the crew may not strike as they are busy purging the boilers in an attempt to roast the enemy off the hull. These attacks are to be considered magical as per the last FAQ on hellbound.

Geist:

PS I didnt put a cost on it as the iron demon / skullcracker both lack in ways to deal with cav.  This gives both of them a option with out being over the top.

Admiral:

I’ll let others with a better mind for those things handle the rules and points cost critique, but I think it’s a neat idea. I’d make it an optional upgrade for background reasons, since you can be sure Daemonsmiths like to customize their vehicles like Ork Mekboys do in 40k. It shouldn’t be built into every choo-choo train, because that’s the way it is with Empire Steam Tanks’ steam gun:)

Geist:

Fair enough Admiral, so my rule as it sticks above but make it cost 20pts. That should be just enough / not enough to make it cost wise.

Admiral:

Sounds good to me! Good rules input, Geist. :slight_smile:

The Immortal Beard:

I would make it a lil less janky and more akin to how the steam tank can vent steam.

Lets try it like this.

Vent Steam rule.  Skull cracker and Iron Demon both come with it.
When a model with the vent steam rule is in combat it may elect to vent steam as well as its normal attacks.  When this is done all models in base to base contact take a st4 ap hit that happens before combat begins.  Almost exactly like the blazing body rule for kadai.  In addition the crew may not strike as they are busy purging the boilers in an attempt to roast the enemy off the hull.  These attacks are to be considered magical as per the last FAQ on hellbound.

Geist
Seems like that may work a bit better. How about a blending of the two ideas?

Vent Steam: Upgrade for Iron Deamon and Skullcracker 20pts

At the start of close combat a model with this upgrade may vent steam in lieu of the normal crew attacks (they are too preoccupied purging the boilers to fight). All models in base contact with the war engine suffer a strength 4 hit with the armor piercing special rule. Parry saves may not be taken against the vent steam attack. If the war engine is Hellbound, these attacks are treated as magical.

Geist:

nice way to refine my idea even further.

Abecedar:

Would this action have any potential effect on the next turn In regards to building a full head of steam for movement and / or repeating the venting action?

The Immortal Beard:

The general idea was that you can sacrifice the crew attacks to vent steam against units in base contact instead of attacking normally with the crew. So, as written, each round of CC would allow for this attack to be made. On my original idea, you had to roll to see if the attack could be made. I was trying to balance out a great CC option with the mediocre attacks provided by the dwarf crew without making the whole thing OP. Hence the reason for STR2 attacks. With Geist’s input I think it is looking pretty good. The idea would have to be playtested to see how it stacks up. As it is now, it is surely better than the crew attacks in most cases so why wouldn’t you use it? I am still wondering if it should be something that can only be used under the right conditions. I’ll have to give it some more thought.

Abecedar:

I am still wondering if it should be something that can only be used under the right conditions.

The Immortal Beard
I think that is maybe where I was thinking. I do tend to think too much sometimes and sometimes it is even coherent

Geist:

I don’t think it needs to be a under X conditions use, as it cost points to buy. Meaning you had to pay for the effect, if you got it for free as I first suggested then it would need a under X use condition. Its fine as it stands.