[Archive] Iron Daemon War Engine

Twisted Dwarf:

I am about to purchase a Chaos Dwarf army, but before I do so I wanted to get some clarification on the Iron Daemon. I find the rules for the daemon are not the clearest ones out there.

The Questions

1. When the engine moves it can move normally with it’s 6 inch movement, I assume it can wheel and such. I had someone tell me it can never turn and always moves straight ahead I assume this is false.

2.Why ever charge?

If it declares a charge it can not pivot or wheel (bummer) so it only moves in a straight line and if you fail the charge, you only move the random 2d6. However if you don’t declare a charge your opponent gets no charge reaction, you don’t count for charging but they gain always strike first. I guess my question is why would you ever declare a charge unless you were withing 10 inches??? After this you are considered in combat as it only states to move back 1 inch if it was a friendly unit you hit.

If question one is yes it can move normally (pivot and move) and question 2 is correct that you can just run into enemies with no charge reaction but giving them asf (who cares) Then hell yes I am getting me one of these.

The way I see it if you get the skull cracker upgrade and make it hell bound, you have yourself an infantry lawn mower. Yes it is expensive and MI CA and MO unit types will pin it down, but that’s a chance I am willing to take for 2d6 str8 impact hits and 2d6 thunder stomp.

Twisted Dwarf:

I am about to purchase a Chaos Dwarf army, but before I do so I wanted to get some clarification on the Iron Daemon. I find the rules for the daemon are not the clearest ones out there.

The Questions

1. When the engine moves it can move normally with it’s 6 inch movement, I assume it can wheel and such. I had someone tell me it can never turn and always moves straight ahead I assume this is false.

2.Why ever charge?

If it declares a charge it can not pivot or wheel (bummer) so it only moves in a straight line and if you fail the charge, you only move the random 2d6. However if you don’t declare a charge your opponent gets no charge reaction, you don’t count for charging but they gain always strike first. I guess my question is why would you ever declare a charge unless you were withing 10 inches??? After this you are considered in combat as it only states to move back 1 inch if it was a friendly unit you hit.

If question one is yes it can move normally (pivot and move) and question 2 is correct that you can just run into enemies with no charge reaction but giving them asf (who cares) Then hell yes I am getting me one of these.

The way I see it if you get the skull cracker upgrade and make it hell bound, you have yourself an infantry lawn mower. Yes it is expensive and MI CA and MO unit types will pin it down, but that’s a chance I am willing to take for 2d6 str8 impact hits and 2d6 thunder stomp.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

1. Unless the Iron Deamon engages its boiler for extra movement, it can pivot to its heart’s content.

2. The only way to get into combat with someone is to declare a charge. If you want to do impact hits to something, you have to declare a charge.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Twisted Dwarf:

Under the rules for the Iron daemons it states otherwise.

It says "If the total movement would bring the Iron Daemon into contact with a unit unintentionally (ie, not as the result of a charge) roll for impact hits as normal. The Iron daemon does not count as charging if the unit is an enemy, and it’s enemy gains the always strikes first rule against it for the first turn of combat owing to the confusion on board."

That is a direct quote am I misreading it?

MLP:

This has been discussed at length before, I believe the following thread will have your answers:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10640