[Archive] Iron Deamon or Siege Giant

Da Crusha:

I have written up a new roster to run for a tournament this weekend and it has occurred to me that I can fit in a siege giant instead of an iron deamon. for those of you that have used iron deamons before, you know how they can be troublesome to move and are easily tarpitted. while the shot has the potential to be effective sometimes it doesn’t deliver. I was wondering if anybody would see any tactical advantage to taking a siege giant over an iron deamon. I was looking over the random attacks that it has and it seems it could be good to take out infantry and good for taking out a single model of bigger things. the rune of hate is a must to ensure maximum out put and the leadership 10 with bsb ought to keep the berzerker rage in check.

GodHead:

Never a Siege iant. The Siege Giant is insanely bad. A Giant with -1M and twice the chance to fall over? For more points?

F that S.

It has the distinction of being the single worst Giant out of all of the other Giants in the game. And since no other Giant in the game is worth its points, that means it’s a really huge freaking waste of points.

Da Crusha:

Never a Siege iant. The Siege Giant is insanely bad. A Giant with -1M and twice the chance to fall over? For more points?

F that S.

It has the distinction of being the single worst Giant out of all of the other Giants in the game. And since no other Giant in the game is worth its points, that means it's a really huge freaking waste of points.

GodHead
yes it is -1M but it has the same amount chance to fall over as all other giants. and when it does, it squashes things at higher strength. it also has more powerful attacks options and rune of hate reroll ability. a 5+ AS with a 3+ AS against shooting, it is better than a normal giant. but it also has a +100 pt price tag.

Johnny-Crass:

In the famous words of that taco commercial why not both? I run a Destroyer a Giant and a Train in 2500 and thinking of fitting in a Bale Tarus also

nilbog:

If you’re planning on only running one iron daemon, it might be worth a go with the siege giant instead. I find iron daemons work better with two or three.

Da Crusha:

@ johnny crass: maybe for a future list.

@nilbog: interesting, I haven’t run more than one at a time yet.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

If you’re playing in a comp’d event, go Siege Giant. Otherwise I’d take an Iron Deamon.

GodHead:

yes it is -1M but it has the same amount chance to fall over as all other giants. and when it does, it squashes things at higher strength. it also has more powerful attacks options and rune of hate reroll ability. a 5+ AS with a 3+ AS against shooting, it is better than a normal giant. but it also has a +100 pt price tag.

Da Crusha
No, the Siege Giant falls over on 1-2. Normal giants fall over on 1.

It's a frigging idiotic unit.

Johnny-Crass:

You say that. But if you have ever sent him into a infantry unit rolled a 5+ then got 9 hits with runes of hate and then got another 5 for thumderstomp with runes of hate you will see how good he is. Cav crusher

Da Crusha:

If you're playing in a comp'd event, go Siege Giant.  Otherwise I'd take an Iron Deamon.

Grimbold Blackhammer
this is a comped event. if I take it, it should help soften my score a bit.
No, the Siege Giant falls over on 1-2. Normal giants fall over on 1.

GodHead
oh, I hadn't noticed that.
You say that.  But if you have ever sent him into a infantry unit rolled a 5+ then got 9 hits with runes of hate and then got another 5 for thumderstomp with runes of hate you will see how good he is.  Cav crusher

Johnny-Crass
he does have a lot of offensive potential.

well I have some miniatures to work on for the next few days. if he is ready I will give him a go. as of now he is my last priority. he does seem like fun to use though. a big fumbling giant doing stuff I have no control over.

GodHead:

Chaos Dwarfs need help killing infantry like they need a hole in the head.

The siege giant:
is more expensive than a normal giant;
is slower than a normal giant;
falls over more than a normal giant (TWICE AS MUCH!!);
has only a 5+ armour save to stay alive (hint - it won’t help!);
costs only !50! points less than a Destroyer (and only !25! points less if you give him Runes of Hate); and
is not Unbreakable.

A normal giant is a bad deal.

I was forced to use a siege giant with Runes of Hate in the online Fluff-hammer tournament organized by Smithfamily on universalbattle.com. It was the worst unit I have ever used in my Warhammer gaming history. I have never been so disappointed with something EVER.

And I play Tomb Kings, so that’s saying something.

Literally every game, my thought was not “what target can I use my giant against,” but “how the hell do I keep this idiotic thing alive.”

deadlydeceiver:

IMHO GodHead’s absolutely right! It’s a bad deal and nothing more than a fun “weak spot” in your army for very friendly fun-games.

I have never been so disappointed with something EVER.

And I play Tomb Kings.

GodHead
:stuck_out_tongue: Haha, awesome quote!!!

May I, as a fellow TK-player please take this as my signature?

DD

Da Crusha:

I have used it at a tournament once before. it was actually the first tournament I brought loa to and also the first time I used an loa list. I brought it cause i didn’t have anything to represent the destroyer. It didn’t do much that day. the first game I used it to charge a unit of dark elves don’t remember what kind and it won combat and the unit fled out of reach. my opponent was surprised because he thought his unit with general would’ve won. I rarely used giants before that so I didn’t think much of it. 2nd game it didn’t do anything. I think it fought some skeletons for one round of combat. my opponent was super slow and we didnt finish enough turns. 3rd game it was killed by a dwarf cannons. I made it to the top table that tourney out of some 20 people or so.

Johnny-Crass:

It has a 3+ against range which is what the giant suffers against and it is about being a smart player. Destroyers can go into any unit and win, Giants take finesse which you seem to be lacking I guess. I have used two normal giants and placed in top 3 in tournaments so dont discount the big man. It is the skill of the player not the skill of the unit

Geist:

Listen the Ol#7 as I call my skullcracker,has a ton of drawbacks, biggest one is if 5 fast cav anything charge it, its stuck like chuck. That’s the biggest draw back cav make it suck horrid. Having said that, it is not all bad news. If you can get it to charge a smallish brick of knights (say 8 or so) you should plow right over them. If you can get a brick of something into the flank of whatever is holding it up that should save it. Lastly of course should almost go with out saying, it rolls over infantry. The worst it will ever do is against orges. But all the other armies out there have the possibility for large bricks of boots on deck. As we all know it loves boots on deck.

Blackspine:

for the points, I’d take some BC’s or another block of IG.

if you want a nice comp score, a giant screams “FLUFF!!!” even though they can actually do some harm.

I’ve seen yell and bawl make chosen run.

Goltor Lintrepide:

Why not neither?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Da Crusha:

@geist: that sounds about right. but I don’t have points to add the skullcracker as well. or the time to convert a model since the tournament is this sunday.

@Blackspine: while I do have another unit of IG and have been using one lately, I had a couple of run ins with some powerful units recently and I think I just find comfort in a nice big tarpit like an iron deamon.

@yawa: mosty because Im just limited by the models I have. I have some converted fireborn but Im trying to bring a completely painted army.