[Archive] Is this an issue where you play?

AGPO:

I came across this on Reddit and it was all too familiar. I stopped gaming in stores and public clubs and “gamer funk” and the attitude that comes with it are two of the main reasons!

http://imgur.com/r/pics/oFxqVuF

Vogon:

Not in my local GW but there is a certain aroma in the LGS.

I tend to head to the GW because it’s easier to get to for me.

Cheers

Vogon

Thommy H:

Hahahahaha amazing. Seriously though, yeah, my local GW reeks.

Khaas:

I only run into this problem when I’m at a tournament, I’m always self conscious about this sort of thing at a tournament because as we all know you rarely notice your own funk. So, I’m generally 2-3 showers per day, a light sprits of cologne (I use Acqua Di Giò, a little goes a long way and it’s not a “strong” smell). And of course deodorant and breath mints.

So at a tournament you’re likely to have people eating terrible food, lots of beer, and maybe having time to splash some water on their face between games. Trouble is, I live in the South so in addition to the less than ideal conditions for keeping the funk at bay in a press of flesh you have the humidity.

It’s a perfect storm of possible reek. So far though, my experiences have been favorable in this vein. Though I’m attending a tourney in Texas later this year for the first time, so fingers crossed.

rpitts2004:

This is awesome. This should be posted at every gaming store

Taurian:

My apologies, AGPO. When I first looked at your post, I thought you were complaining that they were forcing you to comply with such a grooming request, and that it was this regulation keeping you from these stores.

Skink:

I never experienced this issue. And I visited stores in more than five countries around the world. But I do think that some people (sometimes) reek like ripe cheese…

snowblizz:

Not really.

I’ve run into it in tournaments, second/third day when a lot of people haven’t had the chance to shower properly. I usually don’t smell that bad because I really don’t get too physical, but I’m sure there have been times.

NoisyAssassin:

Not really an issue with Warhammer where I play. One of the two local stores where people play Magic has a similar sign, and the one time I went there I had to leave because the gaming space smelled so terrible.

Honeym123:

My apologies, AGPO.  When I first looked at your post, I thought you were complaining that they were forcing you to comply with such a grooming request, and that it was this regulation keeping you from these stores.

Taurian
This is my favorite post of everything I have read in here - in all the forums on all of the internet

Kera foehunter:

W T F people… this is not a issue where i play

That just plain Gross

Da Crusha:

its not typically an issue where I play but I have encountered 3 very stinky and offensive fellows. 2 in my flgs, luckily they aren’t regulars.

on a side note I did play in a tournament once where they had a stick of deodorant at the front that had a sign to give to your opponent as needed.

snowblizz:

Come to think of it, our first tournament in the bombshelter it was getting pretty stifling at the end of Saturday. Small space, lots of people almost unavoidable.

Something not mentioned here yet, but I think is a big culprit. Food. It’s not a coincidence I think that there’s a certain odour in the air during tournaments starting after the lunch break when people bring tons of different fastfoods into the venue.

Zuh-Khinie:

That’s one of the reasons why I play at home against friends, and not in clubs or stores… referring to certain groups of gamers as ‘the unwashed masses’ is sometimes an understatement in the gaming community.

speedygogo:

Unfortunately there are some gamers in the US that this sign was written for. Poor hygiene has never been a irritant for me.

AGPO:

One local gaming store I know starting selling Lynx (that’s Axe to non Brits) behind the counter. Een then some members didn’t take the hint.

My apologies, AGPO.  When I first looked at your post, I thought you were complaining that they were forcing you to comply with such a grooming request, and that it was this regulation keeping you from these stores.

Taurian
Ha! Should have seen that. I can confirm I’m perfectly clean. :slight_smile: Even with my dodgy nose (years of rugby and martial arts plus a big mouth take their toll) the smell of some gamers drives me mad. I have no idea why this particular hobby attracts people like that. :sick

French_noodle:

haha now that’s funny

But yeah it is an issue in almost every gaming places, or video gaming places, probably because:

- those places are oftenly full of adolescents, and they mostly discover too late the power of the sweat.

- geeks sometimes (many times…) do have hygiene issues, being male or female, being single or not (that last point always startled me :sick)

- 35+ years old single geeks have abandonned any hope to find someone to love, and see gaming times as some kind of “hygiene vacations” where they can come unclean with unclean clothes and fart their way up (or down). That case is a very hard one.

- Some geek couples are so convinced they will never break up, they tend to forget they had, once, to take a shower before going out, in case they met someone they would get along with. And so starts the deadly spiral…

That’s awful, i know. But still true. And still funny, at least when you’re not “in”. :o