[Archive] Jason's LoA Chaos Dwarf Army - WiP

jbrown1214:

Because I’m a sucker for badges (never mind wanting to field a decent-sized Chaos Dwarf force), I thought I’d start a WiP for my slowly-expanding Legion of Azgorh army. My first project was the Iron Daemon (or should it be demon, because I’m American?), which I completed yesterday:

This was the first time I tried using FW weathering powder (or powder of any kind, for that matter), and I think I had mixed success. I like the soot on the guns and the smoke stack, but the mud/dirt mixture I tried ended up coming on too much like rusty paint. More practice, I guess!

Well, that’s 310 points toward badges (because it is hellbound, of course!)…time to start the Dreadquake!

Jason

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Thommy H:

or should it be demon, because I'm American?
"Daemon" is not the British spelling of demon, it's a completely different word with a subtly different meaning. A daemon is another word for a demigod, not necessarily malevolent. The term fell out of regular use and was supplanted by the related "demon" since, from a Christian perspective, they were the same thing anyway. GW use it because their Daemons are fundamental forces of nature and aren't technically evil. Most people seem to pronounce Daemon as demon anyway, although it's actually more like "day-mon".

Model looks nice, although the lighting makes it a bit difficult to tell exactly!

Taurian:

or should it be demon, because I'm American?
"Daemon" is not the British spelling of demon, it's a completely different word with a subtly different meaning.

Thommy H
Not to take this thread in a different direction, but I had always taken the two to mean the same thing as well.  Looking up "demon" on Wikipedia begins with the following:
A demon (or daemon, from Ancient Greek, δαίμ�?ν daímōn)...
This seems to imply that they are indeed the same.  With that said, daemon does happen to have its own separate entry on Wikipedia.  Then again, both trace their origins to the same root word in Greek.

I guess my take on it is that some people draw a distinction for their own purposes while others do not.  I guess an example might be like the difference between an "action figure" and a "doll".  I'm sure most of us would say that there's a difference between the two, but from what I'd heard the term "action figure" was simply created as an attempted loophole to get around a tax on importing dolls that were manufactured overseas; it didn't work.

As for the ID, that's a nice paint job.  I've been thinking about using those powders as well, and the results here look pretty good.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there would be any adverse effects if someone were to try to apply a protective coat over a mini that had powder applied to it like this?

Thommy H:

Yes, look at the entry for daemon that you mentioned - it explains the difference in the first paragraph. As I said, the words are related (same root), but they have slightly different meanings that later became conflated. The point I was making though is that it’s not a British-English spelling, which is something I’ve seen Americans say before. We use the word demon too, and daemon is equally unfamiliar on this side of the Atlantic.

Grimstonefire:

What did you use to fix the powder in place?

jbrown1214:

What did you use to fix the powder in place?

Grimstonefire
Isopropryl alcohol, then Arm Painter anti-shine matte varnish.

The Besieger:

Your iron daemon looks great :).