[Archive] JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut

frostbit3:

i’m tempted to go buy myself a doomwheel and find out for myself :slight_smile:

Borador:

Looking good!

About the head, maximini has some really nice helmet-heads with gasmasks and goggles and the like :wink:

JMR:

In case anyone was wondering what god it is that these evil dwarves worship and devote their lives to:

Hashut!

The wood doesn’t leave an awfully lot of room for his arm though, that’s a bit of a problem. I wish I had plasticard to work with, but I don’t know any stores near me that sell it.

Thoughts?

@Borador: I know the heads you mean, they might be nice to use. I think I won’t need any more heads than this one though. I’ll just stick with this one for now. Good suggestion though!

Borador:

Looks good! You could make the same shape out of a thinner sheet of plasticard, might save a few millimetres for his arm?

Edit: silly me, you stated the plasticard thing already. “Modelbouwwinkels” often sell it ;D if not => Ebay.
Evergreen or something has good plasticard! example link

frostbit3:

I am quietly attempting to make my own version of your harness over here. I am currently just playing with the treads to see how simple it will be to make them beaten metal. I am also thinking of adding spikey bits to the treads for extra running people over power. let me know if you want me to PM you a few pictures of the treads.

Kera foehunter:

Wow!!! you pimped your ride out good

does it have gull wing doors?? and 16 valve and fuel injection

grisnik:

Looking at this, and it shows to me as being a perfect stand in for the Iron Daemon actually… Could easily see this being the skullcracker version also… just think of it running over everything to do the thunderstomp attacks!

JMR:

Thanks to Borador’s suggestion I’ve found a place that sells plasticard. I found it thanks to your mention of the brand name, Borador. Thanks! Unfortunately the shop doesn’t keep it in stock any more. The sales-guy said that they had it on display in the shop for two years and only sold something once. Luckily, they were able to get it for me through an order.

As I’m waiting for said order to arrive, I’ve started work on a second project.

An Infernal Engine! I wanted something stompy, I wanted something mechanical, crewed by a couple of dwarves. I wanted something along the lines of a TK Warsphinx. Eventually I came up with the following:

Yaarrr! A good old Schleich cow! …err, bull. I want my Chaos Dwarves to use a combination of steam-power and daemon-binding. So, inspired by Steampunk technology I intend to turn this bull into a mechanical, steam/daemon-powered engine.

I’ve used a marker to draw out what I intend to do. The circle in the center is going to be a big boiler, with cables going up to it’s head and whatnot. For the legs I figured I’d use some mechanical gears at the hip joints, but I’m not sure yet how I’m going to attach them to the main body. I also want to make the front of the engine mostly armoured with steel plates, while the back-half is more open, showing a more bare structure and machinery.

For it’s head I’m using the standard top from the Forgeworld Infernal Guards as a reference.

This is going to be a pretty big project and to be honest when I started I figured that it would probably go wrong somewhere. It’s one big experiment! We’ll see how it ends up!

If anyone has suggestions or examples of how to attach it´s legs to the main hull, they´d be more than welcome.

Thommy H:

Cool. What size base is that?

JMR:

This is 50x100, which is what a Warsphinx comes with (to my surprise). I’ll just use whatever feels right though. This is the base from my Doomwheel. I’ll simply use some wood to make the base, so I can do whatever size I want.

Thommy H:

Chariot base then. It should probably be on an Arachnarok base, but there’s loads of 6-Wound things on chariot bases anyway, so I’m not making any hard and fast rulings on that score.

Looks like he’s going to be big anyway!

JMR:

... but there's loads of 6-Wound things on chariot bases anyway, so I'm not making any hard and fast rulings on that score.

Thommy H
Yeah. To be fair I think GW is pretty random about base-size. I think they just do whatever they feel like. So, so will I!

Borador:

Glad you managed to find some plasticard! (:

The bull’s looking good, curious to see how it’ll turn out!

JMR:

The head is slowly taking shape.

I’ve repositioned the ears, added horns and added some more plating.

JMR:

And again more work on the head.

ryanamandaanna:

great work so far, yo! :smiley:

Borador:

Looks good!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

vulcanologist:

That head is coming along nicely!

Ishkur Cinderhat:

An Infernal Engine! I wanted something stompy, I wanted something mechanical, crewed by a couple of dwarves. I wanted something along the lines of a TK Warsphinx.

JMR
Hehe, you can't go wrong with a mechanical cow crewed by a couple of chaos dwarves. ;)

So you plan to cover the whole thing with armour plating? So the Schleich cow is really just an armature for the final model. That's a really nice idea! Look forward to the next updates.

Thommy H:

It shouldn’t be a surprise that JMR’s Infernal Engine follows your prototype, Ishkur, since I used that model as one of the templates for how my Infernal Engine rules should work (i.e. letting them do Impact Hits, have up to eight crew, mount a stone thrower, be massive and armoured) and now JMR is building his model based on those rules!