[Archive] Just back From Fort Ticonderogia

Willmark:

Went there with my son’s Boy Scout troop.

Having been to the UK and seen real medieval castles its interesting to see the evolution of fortifications and specifically how fortresses were adapted to North America from European designs. Obviously we don’t have castles here but Fort Ticonderoga and Castillo de San Marcos in St Augustine in Florida are the closest thing.

Also interesting to note the reasons the fort was built the way it was, where it was situated and how many times it changed hands. How it was originally designed to guard against British excursions heading north on Lake Champlain, then protect facing north when the British held it, then how the guns were hauled to Boston to force the British out during the Revolutionary War.

It’s important to note that it was reconstructed in the early portion of the 20th century and that it was restored to the intended plans of the French and British, not how it actually looked from 1753-1777.

Xander:

Sounds cool. Where are the pictures at? :smiley:

Herby:

Hello. I read the book about Jim Varney. The author, Jim Varney’s nephew mentions a castle in Kentucky(maybe Tennessee I’m not sure. I don’t have the book with me to check). What about this one?

Willmark:

Sounds cool. Where are the pictures at? :D

Xander
I�?Tll try to post some tonight

Willmark:

As discussed:

My son at the Fort:

Tristan and some old guy…

Looking towards the southwest near the entrance.

The Main Gate

Eastern side of the fort looking north.

Looking at the southern end of Lake Champlain.

Looking out the windows of the Soldiers barracks (northwards).

Xander:

Cool stuff, definitely reminds me of some of the forts we still have kicking around north of the border.

Willmark:

Cool stuff, definitely reminds me of some of the forts we still have kicking around north of the border.

Xander
Louisburg in Nova Scotia would be the closest in terms of look and current construction that comes to mind. Not a perfect match but very similar. Obviously Louisburg is larger.