[Archive] Just got em'

Joshmohr:

Just got my dark eldar battle force, and already they have flaws. The scrawny arms don’t stick together. Any advice?

nitroglysarine:

Just got my dark eldar battle force, and already they have flaws. The scrawny arms don't stick together. Any advice?

Joshmohr
glue both sides a min before splatting them together, that sures up models i have with wirey arms.
You end up with a nice plasti-glue splodge mix.

Joshmohr:

So use plastic glue for that?

nitroglysarine:

So use plastic glue for that?

Joshmohr
Yeah, i'm guessing they were plastic models you were talking about.

Thorne:

Dark eldar are a pain to stick together. What I do but I recoment with caution heating the glue (I use a ciggerette lighter) and quickly pushing it in place. Saying that if you dont want to run the risk of fire (as I do it in the garage I can be a little more dangerous (and the fumes cannot be good) you could try HTT13 SUPERGLUE (CYANOACRYLATE) ACCELERATOR from Heresy minitures I must appologies about the caps as my spelling is often cronic

The Brain:

Sometimes super glue works better for thinner models that you can get your fingers on easily. It sets faster than plastic glue.

Joshmohr:

I like plastic glue.Works best for me. If you soak the modle in hot water, then the glue comes undone and you have a brand new guy.

@ the brain, can you e-mail me a 500PT army list? I’m going to have a game today, and it would be appreciated. (Jd_mohr@live.com)

Nicodemus:

Just got my dark eldar battle force, and already they have flaws. The scrawny arms don't stick together. Any advice?

Joshmohr
I've got real problems with Super Glue/Krazy Glue or any cyanoacrylate-based adhesives. It's actually a hypersensitivity to cyanoacrylates or every variety I've come across so far, and I don't enjoy testing them on myself anyway. I can tell if someone has a bottle open anywhere in the vicinity at work and am buying a NIOSH respirator on my next trip to Home Depot... Holy Toledo, if those glues don't work like a hot damn!!

For best results with heavier parts with small joins and weird balance issues, I put a dab of Krazy Glue (has a thick consistency and looks like dark honey) on each piece and then a drop of Elmer's Ultimate - High Performance Glue and press them together. The Elmer's glue usually expands a lot as it dries and can take up to 6hrs to dry normally... but with any of the cyanoacrylates it sets within seconds. So you've got to be really quick and have everything ready to go, but once you press the pieces together they'll be fastened pretty much immediately. The Elmer's glue mixed with Krazy Glue is a little brittle on its own but I recently glued a bunch of arms on some Flamers of Tzeentch and dropped the same guy from table height, twice!!, and the arms never snapped off, which is impressive. This mix works best for anything involving metal or resins, but works fine on wood and plastic, etc.

If they're just plastics, then go with plastic glue all the way. A drop on each end and let it sit for 5-10 seconds so that the glue can soften the plastic, then press them together and hold a few seconds longer and you should be fine. In practice, I find that using too much of the plastic glue is a hindrance as it actually dissolves the plastic and then it takes a really long time to set again.

Definitely try the Elmer's Ultimate/Krazy Glue route. It's super fast and strong.
~N

klemanius:

Hey, I never had an issue with my Dark Eldar, but so long as you place the glue on the body/armpit and then attach both arms at the same time you should be ok. If not you can always ask the guys in the 40k online Dark eldar forum they are usually really helpful