[Archive] Just got to use the ipad

Willmark:

Since I work for apple! And just opened I can now talk about it. It’s way cool.

Baggronor:

I shall commence jealous whining. Damn you and your sorcerer’s ways.

cornixt:

For something that advertises itself as a good internet and video viewer, it is just plain stupid that it doesn’t support flash - the biggest form of internet video.

A built in webcam would have been the killer app - Skype video calls for everyone who has trouble using a PC.

If it had both of those then I could certainly see it as a market changer. But it doesn’t, so it is a bit disappointing. Not as portable as an iPhone, not as functional as a netbook, too heavy/bright/poor battery to be comfortably used as a e-reader. It doesn’t quite fit anywhere.

GRNDL:

Oh yeah? IMO, its totally pointless as it doesn’t offer any direct use/purpose, especially if you’ve got an iPhone or a laptop/netbook computer. So, try to sell me on it…

Willmark:

Interesting.

As I’ve said to my fellow geeks friends and in the IT group I work in: this is not targeted at you. Apple learned long ago that they were never going to convince the geeks so focus on the broad market. So GRNDL much like the Wii which I know you love, apple is not targeting you. So in the weeks and months ahead I’ll be interesting to see how it does.

Cornixt- I think apple will be fine, there are a number of sites that are moving to html5 in it’s place.

So in short guys it’s a fun day for me personally. If that upsets you then all I can do is shrug

Swissdictator:

I say… someone buy me an iPod touch for a belated birthday gift. 8 Gig is plenty. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Apple’s strength, as we have talked about, is the variety of products they offer. If one section fails, they’re fine. Who knows, maybe in the next generation of consoles they will produce a console too.

snowblizz:

No really? The Apple worker thinks this is the best thing under the sun? Colour me surprised. Clearly I can take such an unbiased account as the sole basis of my perception on this.

At least you said you worked for Apple. Kudos.

I’m only half serious BTW, but sometimes a little less bubbling enthusiasm would be nice. You slap a half eaten apple on the case and suddenly people treat it like you’ve just invented fire. Or the wheel.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hey Willmark!

I still have my old Apple II’s. I love them!

Tell marketing over at Apple to make something as good as those old babies! Tell everyone there that the auxillery battery in my 1989 Apple IIGS still works and has kept the propper time since I last used the computer in 1997. I turned it on just at the begining of last year and all my settings were still there. I was amazed! Even the old printer still had fresh ink in it!

Those old Apples were a great testement to what Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniac and all of Apple could do back then! - The best graphics for it’s time - the first personal computers to use windows - the only computer that when you turned it on, you didn’t have to use DOS to tell the computer that it was on. You just had to put a disc into the computer and close the door. Apple II did the rest!

I also used that computer for school when I grew up and even spent days writing simple programs in Apple Basic just to see how they worked. Good times!

Sadly, Apple has the exact same problem then as it does now - not enough programmers and not enough software! Who does? The “IBM” format machines like Hewlett Packard, Acer, and more. I think Apple would be king if it had that kind of software!

I like the concept of the iPad and was excited for it! - make a computer just like the old school Star Trek clip boards. Hopefully in the future it will improve it’s compatibility with the rest of the world’s computer software.

If you see Steve Jobs, tell him that I thank him for the old Apple II’s. Best computer of all time!

Joshmohr:

I would rather have my Iphone, for now. I thought it looked just to fragile. Anyway, what are its features?

Willmark:

No really? The Apple worker thinks this is the best thing under the sun? Colour me surprised. Clearly I can take such an unbiased account as the sole basis of my perception on this.

At least you said you worked for Apple. Kudos.

I'm only half serious BTW, but sometimes a *little* less bubbling enthusiasm would be nice. You slap a half eaten apple on the case and suddenly people treat it like you've just invented fire. Or the wheel.

snowblizz
Interesting how things get read:I Like cool technology and like Linux as well. If it fits my functions then I'm using it. I use MS Office daily when I have plenty of freeware I could use instead.

Intresting to read that you think you can guess if someone is a blind fan from one post as the door opened. I had a minute to post tbough the site might be interested to know. Seems a bit much to presume but thats just me.

Moral of the story is that lumping people into a group because you think you know who and what they are...

Anyways back to work soon as I'm finishing lunch.

furrie:

Like said before, the Ipad just isn’t something. It doesn’t fit any were. The screen is to smal to realy enjoin the internet, so there goes there statement that it is the best way to view the internet.

GRNDL:

I was hoping it would be a cool, generic e-book reader (kindle-killer, anti-nook book, etc), but with a backlit screen it’ll suck for reading. :frowning: Its a device in search of an application and I think Apple is hoping that someone will find something for it, to support it. Kinda like video game consoles, the manufacturer counts on the software to sell it and with the iPad, I can’t even imagine an application that would make me want it - and I’m a gadget head and long time Apple user.

I was hoping the Willmark might say something to change my mind, but just admitting that “the iPad is not for you” was kind of disappointing. Nice sales job, friend.

Willmark:

Ok the fact I’m working might play into it and will alk about it later.

Thommy H:

Wait, Apple have employees? I thought they just abducted rabid fans of their products and used their genetic code to clone more attractive vat-grown slaves to do all the work.

Baggronor:

Well, I’m a geek, but I’m a total idiot with computers. Hence I like Macs, they make sense.

Wait, Apple have employees? I thought they just abducted rabid fans of their products and used their genetic code to clone more attractive vat-grown slaves to do all the work.
No Thommy, that’s Games Workshop. They’re still working on the attractive part though…

Willmark:

Ok another breather. Still not done today.

In answer to your question Furrie: I think you’ll be suprised with the screen. It’s a bit bigger in terms of viewability then I expected. Of course the first site I went to chaos-dwarfs.com I liked the look of it and it’s sure bigger then my iPhone.

Tried a few games and the one driving game that I tried was quite nice, fairly reponsive.

iBooks store is smooth snd well laid out with people liking the speed of page turning and navigation.

Almost all processes are speedy with no noticeable lag. In fact google maps was fast. I’ll be curious to see how it works with the 3G ones

Willmark:

Ok ten hours that was crazy I’ll have to summarize my thoughts and then go from there. Plus lead up was crazy so I need to spend some time with the family :wink:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

And did you read my post? :smiley:

Willmark:

I did I learned on an Apple II back in the day, solid machines for the time for sure. As far as running into Steve I dont think that will be happening anytime soon. :wink:

Fallen246:

I heard it can only run one program at a time though?

If that’s the case, I will not be purchasing one.