[Archive] K.o.W. Battle Report 23Apr2018

Abecedar:

PLEASE bear with me whilst I enter all the pots and pics

Battle Report 23 April 2018

Kings of War:- 2050 Pts:  - Chris�?Ts Vampires:  V�?Ts.     Abyssal Dwarfs.

Chris - Vampires. 2050 pts

1 Troop of Wraiths
2 Regiments of Ghouls
1 Regiment of Skeletons
1 Horde of Zombies
1 Horde of Skeletons
1 Regiment - Soul Reaver Knights
2 Regiments of Werewolves
1 Balefire Catapult
1 Hitty Vampire Lord
1 Magicky Vampire Lord
1 BSB Vampire

Kefty�?Ts  - Abyssal Dwarves.  2045 pts

1 Regiment of Beserkers (Pirates)
2 Hordes of Decimators
2 Regiment Half-Breeds
2 Regiment of Grotesques
Half-Breed Champion
Grotesque Champion
Overmaster on Great Dragon with the Blade of Beast Slayer.
Formation of Heralds of the Black Flame.

As you can see, I ran with absolutely no magic users or ranged attacks other than the Decimators. Well the �?oDragon�?� does have a Breath Attack but I forgot about it (again).

When Chris tallied his up he had 2050 and I only had 2010 in my prepared list, so I added the Formation = Heralds of the Black Flame for 35 pts. I couldn�?Tt be bothered waste the time to find a 5 point item that I would probably forget anyway just to make it perfectly even

I think we deployed and then rolled for the scenario but I cannot be sure.  Anyway, when we rolled for the scenario, we got �?oInvade�?�.   That is where you face off and then at the end of the game you count how many points worth of units are in your opponents half of the board.
In a 2000 point game you need to have more than 200 points more than your opponent to win.

I had thought to have a thicker position on my right flank and a bit protracted to the left.  His placing of his two regiment of big woofs to his far right early in deployment may have made me decide that.  So basic plan was to delay and maybe kill his wolf packs after they get to my side whilst I battered his other units to pieces.  As usual plans don�?Tt quite work that way.

I rolled high and chose to go first.  Having no long range stuff I thought I�?Td be brave for once.
We had some rock ridges placed around the place that did restrict some movement but I / we were happy to fudge it if the width wasn�?Tt quite right.  I slight decrease in distance and getting disordered seemed fair enough.

Abecedar:

ROUND 1:-

ABYSSAL DWARF and VAMPIRE Turn 1 =
Pretty boring, some tentative moves forward on both our parts. He did send both of his woof regiments straight down the western edge pretty fast but that was to be expected.  And I�?Td already started turning my Decimator to await their arrival.

(It�?Ts really hard trying to remember all the moves and stuff from my scrabbled shorthand notes and some pictures especially as it has taken me two weeks to get this finished)

Abecedar:

ROUND 2:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 2 =
Yet again, I think I tried position myself advantageously and failed.  I got (get) my Grotesque champion killed in the name of let us see what happens.  Moved him up as either block or bait for the Soul Reaver Knights.  I charged a regiment of Ghouls with my second and wiped them out in one turn.  And at a guess I about faced them to threaten one of the Vampire lords.  It was a Lady fighty model but if I have the right model of his it was supposed to be the proper magic user not a fighter.

VAMPIRE Turn 2 =  
No surprise, He charged his Knights into my now doomed Grotesque Champion and that all she wrote about him.

Abecedar:

ROUND 3:-
The quick shorthand notes are a bit more detailed in the notes this round �?��?��?�…

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 3 =
I have a few charges this time.
Bull centaur #1 charged his �?osmallest�?� unit.  A troop of Wraith Swordsmen.
They killed them outright by dealing then 7 damage and then rolling a 10 on Nerve
I flew my Overmaster in for an easy kill on his Balefire Catapult. Dealt it 4 hits and an 11 on the Nerve roll to kill it BUT the BSB was in range and re-rolled the Nerve roll and got a three.  So it lives.  Now you think to yourself only 4 damage out of 24 attacks.  Well I/We forgot to treble the attacks against war machines so I only rolled 8 this round.
Of my two Grotesque Regiments, one charged the Skeleton Horde and the other the Horde of Ghouls.  Both only cause 3 damage each and bounce back.
My Pirate / Berserkers had charged the Knights. They only do 5 damage against the Knights high defence of 6 and then roll the unlucky (for me) double 1 for the Nerve Roll.

VAMPIRE Turn 3 =  
In return the Horde of Ghouls only get 1 damage on my Grotesque #2 unit who stay and fight.  Whilst the Zombie Horde KIA�?Td my Grotesques #1 with 8 damage and a Nerve roll of 5.  They then move up towards my Decimator #2.
The Horde fighting my Bull Centaurs #2 unit caused 3 damage and bounced.
As for his Soul Reaver knights against my Pirates.  Their 20 attacks causing 10 damage but the brave pirates stay and fight.

Abecedar:

ROUND 4:-
ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 4 =
First off from the pictures it seems I have turned my Abyssal Champion around leaving the big woofs for others to fight.  I�?Tm assuming my cunning plan was so he could go an attack Chris�?Ts necromancer. Well I know my No 2 unit of Decimators fired their 25 shots, scoring 10 hits on the Zombie Horde who stay and fight.  
This time with his full 24 attacks, my Overmaster definitely killed the Catapult. Then turned to threaten the rear of his main units.
My Bull centaur No 2 regiment wiped out his Zombie Horde by adding 9 damage to their previous total of 10 then rolled a 9 on the nerve roll.  A double 1 would have seen them stay but not this time.  
As for my Pirates they again failed to slay the Soul Reaver knight. An unmodified defence of 6 is hard to beat without bigger hits. They did do a handy 8 damage thought.

VAMPIRE Turn 4 =  
My Bull centaur #1 to 3 damage from a dastardly Lightning Bolt.
His Zombie Horde caused 3 damage to my Decimators (No2) who stay and fight.
Some other Zombies (I think they were Zombies, my notes got a bit vague or maybe I�?Tll just say they all looked the same to me). Well they did 3 damage to my Bull Centaurs #2 who then took 2 damage from a Vampire Lord and then 1 more damage from the Vampire BSB plus the nerve roll left them Wavering.
The Soul Reaver knights hit the Pirates with 9 damage. Another good roll of a 9 on the nerve roll left the Pirates distinctly dead.
My Decimators #1 had been charged by both Werewolf Regiments Woof #1 did 5 wounds and woofs #2 did 9 to them. That left them Wavering.

Abecedar:

ROUND 5:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 5 =
My valiant No2 Grotesques wiped out the Horde of Ghouls with a nice 9 damage and
My Bull centaurs No2 had flank charged his No 2 woof Regiment whilst the decimators attacked the front (I think) causing 9 damage and 4 damage respectively. With the nerve roll that pack of flea bitten mutts getting exterminated.
Now his poor ol�?T horde of Zombies had gotten themselves sandwiched between my 32 decimators in their front and the Overmaster in the rear.  They dished out a total of 29 damage leaving the Zombies �?oDecimated�?�.

VAMPIRE Turn 5 =  
Again with the Lightning Bolt but this time it killed my #2 Bull Centaurs with a big 7 damage and took them out with a good Nerve roll.
His #1 WereWoof regiment charged back into my #1 Decimators giving them 7 damage to think about and then their marching orders with a 6 on the nerve roll and accumulated damage.
Somehow my #2 Bull Centaurs got �?osurrounded�?� (well that�?Ts what my quick-notes say).
The Skellie Horde dished out 3 damage for their 10 attacks, The Soul Reaver Knights gave them 28 damage from their 40 attacks and the BSB failed to hurt them. Needless to say the Centaurs didn�?Tt survive.
Not a good turn for me with both my Bull Centaur regiments biting the dust as well as Decimators.  

Abecedar:

ROUND 6

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 6 =

Not a good turn for me this one. My Abyssal Champion finally got into combat but failed to kill the Vampire spellcaster and my Overmaster failed to kill the Skeleton regiment

VAMPIRE Turn 6 =

This time the Lightning Bolt put a single wound on my #2 Grotesques whilst after he shuffled his units further onto my side of the field.

My Abyssal Champion suffered fatally from being charged in the rear by the remaining Werewoof regiment. My champion took 8 damage and I think it was the Nerve roll that was the end for him.

We rolled off as required and the dice gods said we had to play another round.

Abecedar:

ROUND 7:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 7 =
Things were looking dicey with a quick look at the field. He definitely had more points in my half as opposed to what I had in his.  I thought I had one chance and I took it.  I charged my Overmaster onto the centre line into his Skeleton regiment.  I succeeded in wiping out Skeletons but in typical fashion I failed to roll high enough to sneak back across the line to save his points.

VAMPIRE Turn 7 =  
They sat and sneered at me. No charges, just sat there.  Chris attempted to fire off his lightning Bolt but failed this time.  Didn�?Tt matter though the Vampires won easily.   They had all 3 lords and the Woof and Knight regiments on my side whilst I only had my Decimator Horde and the last regiment of Grotesques over on his.

So a close win to Chris�?Ts Vampires.

Fuggit Khan:

It was a Lady fighty model

Abecedar
They're the worst ;)

That's a good report, the battle demonstrates the aspects of KoW that I prefer (compared to WH). A rather fluid game that relies more on troop movement and tactics, rather than railroading characters and devastating magic.
It looks like a fun battle...your decimators did really well, I love those guys!

:hashut

Abecedar:

Yeah. I love them too.

I’ve finally sorted out the dogs-dinner that was the uploaded pictures.

I think I got them in the right posts.

dncswlf:

Love reading about battles! bummer you lost, but you gave a good show! I’ll have to check out this rules system! Your army looks great, I’m going to hunt for better pictures of them!

tjub:

Cool, great to finally see more KoW here!

Abecedar:

Have got another game going right now at home. Tables set up in the spare bedroom, so if I had to leave due to on-call work these last 4 days, it could just stay there.

1500pts. My CD’s v’s my son Liam’s VD’s (I love calling them that, make them sound like dwarfs with diseases).

Only up to the end of turn two as of two nights ago.

So another report is in the wind…