[Archive] K'Daai Deathstar

Mbutler132000:

This is my idea of basically a point denial list that could hurt a few armies if taken to a tournament. This will also I think deal well with those players who take advantage of the 50% Lords and Heroes.

Sorcerer Prophet - LVL 4 on Metal, Chalice, Enchanted Shield, ToP, Bale Taurus

Castellan - BSB, Charmed Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes

Daemonsmith - LVL 1 on Metal, Dispell Scroll

35 IG - Cull Command, SoD (possibly movement banner), FG

11 K’Daai Fireborn - Manburner

K’Daai Destroyer

Obviously there are armies where the game will be point denial, but anything not pure flying, or fast cav I think this army can deal with. It moves fast and is hard hitting. Lore of Metal for those armies that run a ton of high armor saves. Even horde will have a hard time getting through the forced rerolls on the two K’Daai units and the taurus. Armies with lots of low Strength shooting won’t get through those two units, and with a good magic phase can have the IG Armor 1+. It’s a small army so I can choose a corner and drop everything and own that side of the field. Everything can move forward so objective missions should be no problem. Big stuff can easily hide from cannons if needed.

Wanted to see if anyone has tried a list like this or what the thoughts are on it.

Mbutler132000:

Made some changes to this army list.

Sorcerer Prophet - CoBaD, Bale Taurus, Enchanted Shield, ToP, LVL 4 on Metal

Daemonsmith - Charmed Shield, Obsidian Trinket, Scroll of Shielding, Undeath

Daemonsmith - Crown of Command, Metal

35 IG - FC, Fireglaives, Gleaming Pennant

8 K’Daai Fireborn

Hellcannon

K’Daai Destoryer

The Destoryer and Fireborn rush forward. The unit of Fireborn are almost impossible to kill. The SP will fly around throwing magic where needed. LVL 1 on Undeath raises skeletons as re-directors and protection for the IG, raise archers if other army is fast cav heavy. Still a point denial army where nothing is easy to kill and the opponent can spend the entire game trying to kill one unit. I think Metal allows for the most useful spells all around. The undeath mage also has the OT and SoS for a single round of 3+ saves against a big damage spell, such as dark elf magic. Only change I think might be needed would be to run both LVL 1 mages on Undeath.

sam585:

in an army like this you should take an irondemon because it can move AND shoot wheras the hellcannon is just either or, then you can free up points by dropping a daemonsmith. And additionally drazhaoth the ashen is the best bale taurus lord we can take hands down.

Mbutler132000:

I tried Drazhoath one time and he seemed to do well, but on paper he is just not that impressive. Have other players seen him do better in the game?

sam585:

wait are you saying you used him in actual battle and he did well but in theory/on paper he is not good? Ok here is what he is on paper he is the best caster we can take with a +5 to all attempts, he is the best combat oreintated caster we could ever get with 4 wounds,ws6, and always wounding any foe on a 4+ or better, he auto gets +1 combat res along with all allies within 12". He has a STRENGTH FIVE breath weapon, that means you could either A) fly in a flank breath and watch a crap ton of enemies disappear or use it in CC and just flat out win. He is cheaper then any other bale taurs prophet we could run. He is the ultimate Bale Tarus lord, he can cast and he can fight. If you are going to run a bale tarus and are planning on playing competitve (or as competitive as you can) he is the only option you should even consider. Anything else is just bad compared to what he can do. So what if you give up the chalice of blood and darkness on your prophet or lore of metal, you got demonsmiths for that BS.

MadHatter:

wait are you saying you used him in actual battle and he did well but in theory/on paper he is not good? Ok here is what he is on paper he is the best caster we can take with a +5 to all attempts, he is the best combat oreintated caster we could ever get with 4 wounds,ws6, and always wounding any foe on a 4+ or better, he auto gets +1 combat res  along with all allies within 12". He has a STRENGTH FIVE breath weapon, that means you could either A) fly in a flank breath and watch a crap ton of enemies disappear or use it in CC and just flat out win. He is cheaper then any other bale taurs prophet we could run. He is the ultimate Bale Tarus lord, he can cast and he can fight. If you are going to run a bale tarus and are planning on playing competitve (or as competitive as you can) he is the only option you should even consider. Anything else is just bad compared to what he can do. So what if you give up the chalice of blood and darkness on your prophet or lore of metal, you got demonsmiths for that BS.

sam585
One has to consider, there's style in not taking named characters. I know alot of people feel different but I would never, ever, take a named character to the table ;)

sam585:

should just get over the named character taboo, I can see it being an issue of comp where tournaments outlaw them in which case don’t use them since you need to figure out how to play without them anyway, but whats the problem with a named character on the whole? Who’s to say that you cant be this hero and this is his army, or whats the problem with just using that characters rules to represent yourself on the battle field? Style or not winning feels good, and those named characters have a hell of a lot more style in game terms, they already got back stories, a reason to command an army, and actually have impacted the warhammer world in some way. And more to the point he is the master of the black fortress, LoA is his personal army, one would imagine that he would be present in excursions outside of the dark lands and why would he ever let another sorcerer have an inkling of any power in the form of commanding a significant force?

Yodrin:

I like a Prophet on top. Charmed shield, 4 ward I like having that.

Malorndk:

This is not a death star. A death star is all eggs in one basket, with tons of characters to cover week spots. This is just a normal army with an emphasis on K’daiis :wink: