[Archive] K'Daai Destroyer, how does it actually work

Singleton Mosby:

Newbie-thread-alert.

I have exactly no experience with monsters (in my or my opponent’s army) and am about to field a Destroyer for the first time. So, could someone explain a bit about how he works.

- Does he have Thunderstomp, and does it only count on the charge or every round of combat?

- How does the toughness test work for the detroyer, does he auto-fail on a six?

- Because of the -1 to wound, does an opponent has to be S5 to wound on a 6? And can a lower strength model wound on a 6 -> 4+?

- Are there any changes made since for the rules as they are in the book?

- What should I do and not do with it and what should I watch out for?

Thanks a lot chaps :wink:

KramDratta:

- Does he have Thunderstomp, and does it only count on the charge or every round of combat?

Singleton Mosby
Yes. No it works at the every round, at Always Strike Last. Also note that it does NOT benefit from the Flaming Attacks special rule ;)
- How does the toughness test work for the detroyer, does he auto-fail on a six?
Yes, it only fails on a 6. However, following the latest FAQ, you roll at the start of the game turn 3 onwards. Note that is a game turn and not player turn, so you might be rolling in your opponent's turn. I've emailed FW to correct this but up to now no luck.
- Because of the -1 to wound, does an opponent has to be S5 to wound on a 6? And can a lower strength model wound on a 6 -> 4+?
Note that the -1 to Wound no longer applies, as the rule has been FAQed. Now non-magical attack must re-roll successful To Wound rolls.
- Are there any changes made since for the rules as they are in the book?
Check out the FAQ, which can be found here.
Point it at the enemy and let it loose :) . Ideally put Hatred on it & hope you do not many 6s for the Toughness tests (unlike me). Also, watch out for diverters, as you might end up chasing an eagle all the game ...

rpitts2004:

Yeah aim it at the enemy and let it go, even better if you hit the flank. Especially when your destroyer kills FOUR DREADKNIGHTS out of FIVE with Flaming body before attacks even happen and then eats a terrogeist in one combat!

nilbog:

Don’t forget  to make appropriate noises when you move it. This could be “raaaarrrgh!”, “for the glory of Hashut!” or “moooo!”.

rpitts2004:

OH and don’t forget to laugh at Dwarfs when they shoot it with Flaming Cannon balls giving you a 2+ ward save.

I was playing in a tournament last week and I sent the destroyer straight in for 35 black orcs.

The opposing player annouced he had the banner of eternal flame thinking I had regeneration.

=) I just smiled about my 2+ ward save and running down a unit of black orcs!

Singleton Mosby:

Thanks a lot for the answers lads. I am very curious how it will perform. :hat

Using a Lmassu without the wings as a proxy btw. I’ll probably convert it a little with green stuff on his back and tail representing fire. He’s a tad small though.

Baggronor:

I am very curious how it will perform.
If your opponent is unprepared, it will win the game single-handedly. Just remember to make the most of it's M9 ;)
Watch out for lone mounted enemies with the Dragonhelm/Dragonbane Gem/Dragon Armour. They will try to tie him up and can't be thunderstomped as they are mounted. Pick them off with Death magic or have a unit of BCs or a Taur'ruk accompany the Destroyer to deal with them.

MartyF:

However, following the latest FAQ, you roll at the start of the game turn 3 onwards.

KramDratta
Is this generally accepted? I thought it was from the start of turn 2? I'm not sure the FAQ really meant from turn 3.

KramDratta:

I’m still taking Toughness Tests at the start of the Chaos Dwarf turn 2, though if ruleswise & (gamewise as that means one less test) there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

As I told FW, I KNOW that they did not intend it that way, but that’s what their rules say.

zhangyi:

well, do the s4 flame hit before two sides throw their weapons to each other count in the final close combat score?

KramDratta:

well, do the s4 flame hit before two sides throw their weapons to each other count in the final close combat score?

zhangyi
Yes. They are still Wounds caused in the Close Combat round.

MartyF:

I'm still taking Toughness Tests at the start of the Chaos Dwarf turn 2, though if ruleswise & (gamewise as that means one less test) there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

As I told FW, I KNOW that they did not intend it that way, but that's what their rules say.

KramDratta
Thanks for the reply. The amount of times I roll a 6 on that second turn... it would be nice to put it off for another turn but I guess I'll also stick to the second turn :)

KramDratta:

Mate, I’ve had games where I’ve lost the K’Daai to Toughness tests 2 turns in a row, suffering 3 wounds followed by 3 wounds.

eudaimon:

KramDratta, has the ‘when to roll for the toughness test’ been FAQ’d by the ETC? I can’t check from work, I am blocked.

I roll at the start of each game turn from game turn 2. To my mind an FAQ, unlike an errata, cannot change the actual rule, but only clarify it. Therefore I combine the Start of Game Turn from the FAQ, with the Turn 2 from the actual rule.

KramDratta:

ETC FAQ:

2. Do K�?Tdaai test for meltdown every player turn?

A. No. They test at the start of a game turn. This was confirmed in an e-mail from the design team.
Testing at the start of the game turn might have you test in your opponent’s player turn, but that what’s written.

I’ll try contacting Forgeworld again maybe they can clear this up.

eudaimon:

I meant more from turn 2 or turn 3. The rule in the book says turn 2, but the FAQ could be read to be turn 3. I still play turn 2.

KramDratta:

I meant more from turn 2 or turn 3.  The rule in the book says turn 2, but the FAQ could be read to be turn 3.  I still play turn 2.

eudaimon
I take the test at the start of the Chaos Dwarf turn 2, even though as you said the FAQ (wrongly) says that you take the test after game turn 2.

UPDATE:

This is their last reply. I have not yet convinced them to update the FAQ accordingly.
Sent: 03 July 2012 18:55
Subject: Re: FW: Recent Tamurkhan FAQ update

Hi there.

The toughness tests are taken at the beginning of the Chaos Dwarf players 2ND turn as we have stated previously.

GodHead:

The thing is… They have never said that… They have said pretty much everything but that.