[Archive] Kickstarter: Customizable 3D Printed Tabletop Miniatures

Sticklander:

Kickstarter: Hero Forge Customizable 3D Printed Tabletop Miniatures

Discovered this fantastic, and really interesting kickstarter today.

They’re developing a programme to customise your own fantasy/sci-fi miniature (in “heroic scale” 28mm, 3", and 6"). Then they’ll have it printed and sent to you.

As they put it themselves, ‘Whether you want to create stranger fare (good luck finding a dual-wielding halfling barbarian mini), capture key details (no one should be forced to make compromises on their dwarf�?Ts beard style), or simply have more say in your mini than just the paint job, Hero Forge is for you!’

What’s everyone’s take on this? Any thoughts?

I backed it just to have the opportunity to have my own unique miniature printed, and to just back such an interesting project!

GDD:

If I had money for a 3d printer that awesome I’d do the same thing!

I’m so jealous!

(I am a 3d Graphics artist)

Thommy H:

'Whether you want to create stranger fare (good luck finding a dual-wielding halfling barbarian mini)...'

From Hasslefree.

Sticklander:

'Whether you want to create stranger fare (good luck finding a dual-wielding halfling barbarian mini)...'

From Hasslefree.

Thommy H
Ahaha, touche! ;)

*EDIT* Though, it appears he's from a Roman inspired range, so technically he's not a barbarian, just a very psychotic civilised Hobbit! ;p

Thommy H:

Nah, that’s only because the first fantasy halfling he sculpted was the little centurion guy, so he decided his halfling race would be called Remans.

I guess the point I was getting at was that, as neat as this idea might be, no modeller or collector worth their salt has any need to use this service because there’s very few character concepts not covered by a company somewhere, or which you can convert quite easily if you want to - just look at the huge array of models in Reaper’s catalogue; they have everything. It’s like when Blizzard did that thing where you could buy a pre-painted model of your World of Warcraft character, and everyone was like, “just buy a Warhammer figure, it’s not that hard…”

Sticklander:

I guess the point I was getting at was that, as neat as this idea might be, no modeller or collector worth their salt has any need to use this service because there's very few character concepts not covered by a company somewhere, or which you can convert quite easily if you want to - just look at the huge array of models in Reaper's catalogue; they have everything. It's like when Blizzard did that thing where you could buy a pre-painted model of your World of Warcraft character, and everyone was like, "just buy a Warhammer figure, it's not that hard..."

Thommy H
I do agree with what you say, and I'm a big fan of conversion. But I still think that this Kickstarter is interesting and worth (at least for myself) investing in.

Baggronor:

It seems like a nice idea, but I don’t see the value in designing deliberately generic models just so they can have parts swapped around. Cool stuff is cool because its not like other stuff. The reason Warhammer is so appealing is because all of the various factions are radically different and instantly recognisable. The races on this kickstarter all look very similar.

Also not sure about the durability - how many games of Warhammer will those prints survive?

Still, interesting idea for a business model. Indicative of possibilities to come perhaps.