[Archive] "Kill one to warn one hundred" Star Wars: Rebels Scene

Admiral:

Rebels, aimed at younger audiences, is on the one hand what one would expect: Light-hearted simple fun in the Star Wars vein, with meaningful rebel deaths as rare as are clever and successful imperials. On the other hand the show do capture the original trilogy atmosphere, and is surprisingly good (for being what it is), in my book. If you’ve got kids or are just curious yourself, with a taste for blasters and TIE-fighters, then this may be worth checking out if you haven’t already. Not a masterpiece, but neither is it utter trash on the whole.

However, there is one Rebels scene which is surprisingly well thought-out. “Kill one to warn one hundred,” as the Chinese saying goes. Androm till varnagel. Counter-insurgency measure.

Recommended viewing at 3 minutes, even for those not interested in Star Wars or animated kid series:

[align=center]Bike Acceleration Test[/align]

Dînadan:

That reminds me of the original Thrawn Trilogy where his ethos is contrasted with Vader�?Ts; where Vader Force Choked people for failure, in one of the books an Imperial Officer screws up, but does so trying to inovate a new tactic when it becomes clear the conventional one won�?Tt work, so Thrawn promotes him and orders him to work on making the new technique work. Iirc this proves a wise course of action as later it�?Ts used to successfully capture Luke Skywalker.

Admiral:

Luke is never captured, but Thrawn does punish lazy incompetence severely, and reward creative thinking even when failures occur:

“The Empire is at war, Captain. We cannot afford the luxury of men whose minds are so limited they cannot adapt to unexpected situations.”

[align=center][/align]

Dînadan:

Memory must be getting faulty in my old age. :s

Admiral:

No. The exact details of these two connected incidents faded rapidly after I had finished the Thrawn trilogy around the age of 12 or 13. I was afterward vaguely aware of the details, and fully aware of the overall drift (from cruel disposal of incompetent to promotion of competent and crew’s ignited adoration for their leader, connected to Skywalker tractor beam escape shenanigans). When I re-read the trilogy some years back, a much better grasp of it in long term memory was established, refreshed now that I looked up the comic version for this thread.

My facts memory has always been my strongest memory bank by far, but from a lifetime of observation of surroundings and self I can confidently assure you that the exact details of these two fictional tractor beam incidents are virtually made to be misremembered, at least until you’ve read them twice or thrice to hammer in the sequence and nuances.

So no worries for that head of yours, youngling. :hat

Dînadan:

I have read them twice or thrice and still muddled it up, plus my memory�?Ts always been shoddy, so I stand by my statement youngerling. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: