[Archive] KoW Battle V's Vanilla Dwarfs 20May2018

Abecedar:

Battle Report - Kings of War: - 1500 Pts: - Liam�?Ts Dwarfs V�?Ts. My Abyssal Dwarfs.

Game started 20May 2018. Played 2 rounds that night, then finished game on the 24th

Enemy Army �?" Liams Vanilla Dwarfs.

1 Troop of Ironwatch Rifles

1 Regiment of Ironwatch Crossbows

1 Regiment of Rangers

1 Regiment of Ironguard

1 Regiment of Ironclad

1 Horde of Ironclad

Great Earth Elemental

Ironbelcher Organ Gun

Stone Priest

War Smith

King on Large Beast - (Reaper Lord on Bear)

Kefty�?Ts - Abyssal Dwarves.

1 Horde of Blacksouls - Mutated Mastiffs & Brew of Strength.

2 Regiments of Immortals �?" Both with Mutated Mastiffs.

2 Regiments of Half-Breeds

Brakki Barka. I felt like experimenting with him, having never used him before.

Overmaster on Great Dragon - with the Blade of Beast Slayer.

It seems I am distinctly outnumbered so that�?Ts not good. Even if I�?Td deleted the mastiffs and the magic items, I could only have afforded a unit of Gargoyles. Not enough to change the odds I think.

We are playing this game at home. Probably the first clash between these two antagonists in almost 5 years. The pressures of finishing School and then the AoS change put him off fantasy for a while. Our previous bouts were all WHFB 7th/8th.

This is Liam�?Ts first game of Kings of War and I�?Tm hoping I can get him properly interested, and to keep playing. Hopefully not always against a bloody Dwarf Gun-line. He does love his Slayers and way back then we had a home-rule, in WHFB, to let him field the Grenadier Dwarves on Bears that I�?Td gotten him. I had chopped up some rules for them but they played basically the same as Chaos Knights. Now they can be his Brock Riders. I fully expected to face blocks of them this game but was wrong.

We had the obligatory seven pieces of terrain out ready to go. Three hills, two clumps of trees and a small section of a ruin. Liam won the toss for the first bit of terrain, of course it was the biggest hill and laid down conveniently for some of his shooters. So I chose a clump of trees and positioned them to block line of sight. He chose another hill and put it near his right flank, for some other shooters. So I chose the other trees for more line of sight blocking. He put the last hill in my half on the right hand side so I plonked the piece of ruin on top of the last hill just to be difficult so as to not block my lines of advance. On reflection and counting those up. That was six bits of terrain.

Liam�?Ts Rangers have Vanguard so they snuck a move in up the centre of the field.

I won the toss and went first. But lastly we rolled for a Scenario and got given �?oDominate�?�

Abecedar:

ROUND 1:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 1 =

Just basic moves up.  The Half-Breed regiments both ran straight up the left flank.  I flew the Lord on Dragon over into cover behind the bunch of trees to the right, this was to give him a line of sight to back up the Half-Breeds.  Or would have if I didn�?Tt forget about getting the correct Line of Sight I wanted and not leave him looking over the trees at the organ gun.  The Blacksouls Horde and the two Immortals Regiments all moved forward together to block the centre routes through the trees.  Basic plan was to learn how to use them as an anvil a bit better than I have been.   Brakki Barka was in his �?oI�?Tm going up the left flank�?� feint position. According to the plan, I brought him across to the right hidden behind the left hand trees. This part of the plan was to give my two fast mover Hero�?Ts diagonal attack angles across the table from behind the cover of the trees. The Ranger unit I thought would get placed behind the eastern most clump of trees.

�?oNORMAL�?� DWARF Turn 1 =  

As expected, Liam moved his Organ Gun and the IronwatchXBow regiment up onto his left hand hill whilst moving the regiment of Ironwatch Rifles on the smaller hill to his right.

He cast �?oSurge�?� on Greater Earth Elemental and brought it up past his Axemen Horde, to sit next to the Rangers, who had edged forward, giving them a shot at the Dragon Lord.  No other shooters were currently in range that hadn�?Tt moved this turn.
His Rangers fired their 12 Shots at my Dragon Lord causing him 2 wounds. But I rolled a Double 6 for the Nerve Test leaving him Wavering.

Abecedar:

ROUND 2:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 2 =

I measured up and decided to shuffle my 3 anvil units back to get out of range of his shooting. Then I had both Half-Breed regiments charge face on into Liam�?Ts Bear Lord.   32 attacks; 20 hits; 15 wounds = 1 dead Lord.

�?oNORMAL�?� DWARF Turn 2 =  

Basic moves up, no charges. His Ironclad Regiment crept up around the hill his rifles sat on whilst one of the others crept up the other side. He then moved his Horde of Ironclads up to get into the face of the Half-Breed #2. He didn�?Tt charge the Half-Breeds so he could keep shooting them. And it worked. His Earth Elemental made his move up around the flank of the horde to threaten the flank of the BC�?Ts

His shooting at my Half-Breed regiment #2 with his Organ Gun, 15 shots �?" 5 hits �?" 1 wound. Then his Ironwatch Rifles at the same regiment dealt 5 wounds + 8 nerve roll,  = BC #2 Wavering.   Re-Rolled using Brakki�?Ts Inspiring presence.  This time, 6 wounds total + a nerve roll of 10 = 1 dead BC #2 unit.
Rangers with light XBows fired their 12 shots at the Dragon again. This time only causing 1 wound but I rolled a Double 6 again to make him wavering. I really need him to get into the attack next turn so using the inspiring rule I re-rolled his nerve test and got double 6 again.

Abecedar:

ROUND 3:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 3 =

I decided that I had no choice but to split up my 3 unit Anvil block. Sending them as a block forward and getting tangled in the trees didn�?Tt seem do-able at all.   So I sent my Immortal Ladies around the trees towards the left flank and the Immortal �?oPirates�?� off to the right. The Blacksoul Horde being the core of the now defunct Anvil, took the centre route as far as they could.

Decisions finally made, I charged my Half-Breed #1 unit into the flank of his Ironclad Horde whilst the Heroic Brakki Barka charged their front.   Brakki�?Ts 6 attacks gave the Ironclad Horde 2 wounds whilst the Half-Breed flank attack of 32 dealt them a further 21 wounds.  A nerve roll of Snake eyes would have saved them but alas they rolled a 5.  Bye Bye to the Ironclad Horde.  Brakki then followed up by moving forward 5�?�,

In vain hopes of surviving to get at the Organ gun in my next turn. The Half-Breed�?Ts moved forward 4�?� but it turned out to not be far enough.  If they�?Td changed face towards the Ironclad Regiment and the Rifles, they would have had the Elemental in their rear.

�?oNORMAL�?� DWARF Turn 3 =  

Liam�?Ts Ironclad regiment charged the Half-Breed�?Ts in the rear whilst the Earth Elemental assaulted them from the front.   He did do some other minor moves that gave his troops better shooting and coverage of the centre of the field.

His Ironwatch rifles put 3 wounds on Brakki Barka from their 8 shots and 3 Hits
Whilst the Organ gun put 4 wounds on him from its 15 shots.
But the Warsmith failed in his attempt to hurt my valiant hero.
The Rangers put 2 wounds on the Dragon from their 12 shots and 7 Hits.
The Ironwatch XBows put 3 wounds on the Pirates from their 10 shots.
The Stone Priest cast Bane-Chant on the Ironwatch regiment giving them the stats boost.
The Great Earth Elemental put 3 wounds on the Half-Breeds whilst the attack in the rear by the Ironwatch regiment succeeded it giving them 9 wounds from their 36 attacks.
A further 9 on the nerve test saw the Half-Breeds soundly routed.

Abecedar:

ROUND 4:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 4 =

Brakki Barka charges up the hill into those annoying Ironwatch Rifles perched up there and promptly dealt them some chastisement in the form of 5 wounds.   The nerve test roll saw them wavering but still in the game.

The Dragon Lord charged the Rangers 8 attacks gave them 6 wounds and left them wavering as well.
Pirates charged the Ironguard over in the eastern side of the field but their 12 attacks only left 3 wounds on the Dwarf regiment and they bounce back.
Meanwhile my Lady immortals finally got to be the first ever one of my units to throw their mutated hounds at someone.  They bit and chewed at the dastardly Ironwatch Regiment that had so recently dispatched the Half-Breeds but the poorly trained mutts failed to hurt them.
My horde also unleashed their hounds onto the Earth Elemental and at least this pack did some damage giving the sentient rock 2 wounds.

�?oNORMAL�?� DWARF Turn 4 =  

The dratted Organ gun again fired at Brakki Barka giving him 5 wounds this time.  Added to the 6 he received earlier plus a nerve roll of 5 saw the Half-Breed Hero dead and gone
Over in the eastern side of the board, the expected counter-charge by the Ironguard on the Pirates came to pass whilst the Ironwatch XBows added their weight by charging them in the flank.  The ensuing 4 wounds from the Ironwatch, an additional two from the XBowmen and an unfortunate roll of 11 on the nerve test saw the Pirates routed completely.

The Rangers charged the Dragon Lord whilst the Earth Elemental sneakily charged him in the flank.  A simple turn and move, then the casting of the Surge on it bringing about the accidental charge. With the Stone Priest hanging around nearby like a bad smell, Cowardly sod didn�?Tt dare add his attacks to such a magnificent creature as the Dragon surely is.

The Rangers gave him 7 wounds from their 12 attacks whilst the Elemental gave him a further 7 wounds from its 18 attacks.  In total the Dragon Lord had 17 wounds enough to waver him (again), only a roll of double 1 on the nerve test could save him. No it wouldn�?Tt because even then he would be routed and alas he was gone as well.

Abecedar:

ROUND 5:-

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 5 =

My immortal Ladies went forward at the advance getting closer to the Iron clad regiment pretending to protect the Riflemen on the hill.
Whilst my Blacksoul Horde charged the earth Elemental.  

Its 25 attacks caused 12 hits resulting in 6 wounds. A resounding 10 on the Nerve Test saw the rocky bugger exterminated.

�?oNORMAL�?� DWARF Turn 5 =  

He decided to leave my Horde alone IE not charge them obviously out of fear. Or possibly purely so he could shoot them.
The following is what happened to my poor innocent Horde of Blacksouls
The Ironwatch Rifles fired 8 shots for 3 hits causing 2 wounds
The Organ Gun fired 15 shots for 4 hits causing 3 wounds
The War Smith fired 2 shots for 1 hit causing 0 wounds
The Rangers fired 12 shots for 4 hits causing 2 wounds
The Ironwatch XBows fired 10 shots for 3 hits causing 2 wounds
So a total of 45 Shots for 14 Hits to give my Blacksoul Horde 9 Wounds,
Then a Nerve Test Roll of 6 means they Stay n Fight.

His Ironclad regiment charged Immortal Ladies giving them 4 wounds from their 12 attacks and then bounced back.

Abecedar:

ROUND 6

ABYSSAL DWARF Turn 6 =

My Blacksoul Horde charged into the Rangers, dealing them 25 attacks for only 11 hits but 9 of those got through to cause wounds.  End result is the pesky rangers were wiped out.
The Immortal Ladies meanwhile charged the Ironclad regiment.   12 attacks, 8 hits causing 5 wounds but the nerve test missed its mark so they bounced back.

�?oNORMAL�?� DWARF Turn 6 =  

His snivelling Stone Priest ran off to one side of my valiant Blacksouls, cowardly shouting his orders for his troops to shoot something.  So they nastily did the same as they had I his previous turn.
The second mass shooting of my poor innocent Blacksoul Horde went like this.
The Ironwatch Rifles fired 8 shots for 4 hits causing 3 wounds
The Organ Gun fired 15 shots for 4 hits causing 4 wounds
The War Smith fired 2 shots for 0 hit causing 0 wounds
The Ironwatch XBows fired 10 shots for 3 hits causing 2 wounds
So a total of 35 Shots this time, 11 Hits and 9 Wounds again.
Then a Nerve Test Roll of a magnificent Double 1 means they Stay n Fight.

At least his Ironclad boys showed some stones even if they did un-chivalrously attack my Immortal Ladies. Causing 8 wounds. A poor from my perspective Nerve Test and the ladies were routed from the field.

We rolled a D6 to see if the game gets extended but we rolled low, So that was the end of the battle.

As the scenario was dominate, we tallied up the unit points we both had within 12�?� of the centre of the field.  Not good for me. I had 1 unit (period) for 225 pts and Liam had a total of 510 pts giving him the win.

Uther the unhinged:

Great battle report. I think you are fantastic letting the younger generation win like that, so subtly too. I recently let my son�?Ts tomb kings thrash m �?~coz I am a good dad . Not, not, I repeat not, because he is a better general.

I am jealous of your dragon though

Abecedar:

The Dragon is great.  his “user” not so much.
Liam got it for me at least 2 maybe 3 birthdays ago.
We did play gentlemanly though.  But I didn’t tell him charging his Brock (Bear) Lord forward was a bad idea.
The look on his face when I said 16 attacks and the clarified that, that was for one unit of Half-Breeds only.