[Archive] Leaked pic of StormRaven

Baggronor:

Might be a load of tosh but I heard a bumblebee shouldnt be able to fly (but obv does).
Well I'm not gonna go explain it to 'em. Only been stung once but it was enough ;)

cornixt:

Might be a load of tosh but I heard a bumblebee shouldnt be able to fly (but obv does).

starscream
Maybe 80 years ago when insect wings weren't as understood as they are now. Trying to apply bird muscle dynamics to an insect was never going to be as straight forward as they thought.

Personally, I think the thing looks like a big scratchbuild rather than a pro-sculpt. A big chunky thing that is as aerodynamic as a brick, fits in well with other space marine technology like the landspeeder.

starscream:

off topic but just to put the idea to bed…

Of course. You think this is on a par with quantum mechanics? The basic principles of bumblebee flight, and insect flight generally, have been pretty well understood for many years. Somehow, though, the idea that bees “violate aerodynamic theory” got embedded in folklore.

According to an account at www.iop.org/Physics/News/0012i.1, the story was initially circulated in German technical universities in the 1930s. Supposedly during dinner a biologist asked an aerodynamics expert about insect flight. The aerodynamicist did a few calculations and found that, according to the accepted theory of the day, bumblebees didn’t generate enough lift to fly. The biologist, delighted to have a chance to show up those arrogant SOBs in the hard sciences, promptly spread the story far and wide.

Once he sobered up, however, the aerodynamicist surely realized what the problem was–a faulty analogy between bees and conventional fixed-wing aircraft. Bees’ wings are small relative to their bodies. If an airplane were built the same way, it’d never get off the ground. But bees aren’t like airplanes, they’re like helicopters. Their wings work on the same principle as helicopter blades–to be precise, “reverse-pitch semirotary helicopter blades,” to quote one authority. A moving airfoil, whether it’s a helicopter blade or a bee wing, generates a lot more lift than a stationary one.

The real challenge with bees wasn’t figuring out the aerodynamics but the mechanics: specifically, how bees can move their wings so fast–roughly 200 beats per second, which is 10 or 20 times the firing rate of the nervous system. The trick apparently is that the bee’s wing muscles (thorax muscles, actually) don’t expand and contract so much as vibrate, like a rubber band. A nerve impulse comes along and twangs the muscle, much as you might pluck a guitar string, and it vibrates the wing up and down a few times until the next impulse comes along. Cecil is sliding over a few subtleties here, but nobody ever said science for the masses was pretty.

nitroglysarine:

Except that a bumblebee obeys the laws of aerodymanics.

That wee thing better have engines to provide lotsa lift - the drag from the front part will be incredible.

Border Reiver
apparently it doesnt. Might be a load of tosh but I heard a bumblebee shouldnt be able to fly (but obv does).

starscream
Speaking as a physist, the bee certainly can fly, it is all down to the way they flap their wings creating odd 'rowing boat' sort of flap, creates more lift than just flapping.

Bee's are awesome!

zobo1942:

Maybe the Stormraven makes up for it’s crap aerodynamics with a few hidden antigravity devices.

Or, maybe the rawboating motion of it’s wings produces more lift than just flapping. :wink:

Hazkar:

hmm…thats not what i expected…dont really like the design,there are much better conversions out there

Fallen246:

In regards to the “can it fly” discussion: Is the turret on top aerodynamic looking to you guys? I think if I was to purchase this very model I would lessen the curve on it some way.

It’s not a lost cause, but to me it’s not a finished product. If I got it for my possible flesh tearers list I would not leave it as is :stuck_out_tongue:

Patrikson:

XD I don’t see what you guys are complaining about, it looks pretty awesome to me.
I mean it is preeetttyyyy bulky, but so are most things Space Marines have ((I know they are Blood Angels but they are still space marines)).
But, my only problem is… well it looks like it is on the ground, well it is either landing or something arother else so i do hope they make one that is in a flight mode and has a clear plastic stand/base thingy.
Sorry if i don’t make much sense, it is 2:31am… so yeaaahhhh…