[Archive] Legacy Unit Idea - any interest?

torn:

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks and I think it is something we at CDO could do really well.

I used to play quite a bit of bloodbowl back in the day and have participated in NAF legacy teams before. The idea is that everyonebody paints one member of the team and then 1 person wins it, whether by winning a tournament or for best painted model etc.

I was thinking how great it would be to have a chaos dwarf warrior unit where every model is different, done to the creators own style. You would have a mix of hats and masks, representing the CDO community as a whole. The models would be magnetised so they could sit on a unit base or on a special ziggurat plinth for display purposes.

So basically, the idea is everyone creates a chaos dwarf warrior, weapon options to be voted on, in their own style, based normally on a 20mm base, and then posts it to whoever volunteers to be co-ordinator. The co-ordinator then photographs every model, people vote for their favourite, which they think represents CDO the best, and the winner then has the unit posted out to them to be displayed/used in games or whatever.

The only disclaimer was that a legacy team could not be sold on to anyone who didnt participate in the creation of that team, so this should be the same.

Any signs of interest would be great here, as well as suggestions and comments.

Bloodbeard:

I’ll convert, paint and send a model for something like this.

I think that besides weapon option we should for primary and secondary colour. So that the regiment (if many participants) looks a bit uniformed.

Admiral:

Hand weapon and shield is a safe bet, especially since the choice of shields and their emblems will allow for quite some chaotic variety.

Primary colour ought to be red whatever else is decided. I think this is a fun idea and might convert a BFSP warrior to chuck in, but not all too soon. My hobby priorities lies with getting stuff ready for autumn’s tournaments.

torn:

I'll convert, paint and send a model for something like this.

I think that besides weapon option we should for primary and secondary colour. So that the regiment (if many participants) looks a bit uniformed.

Bloodbeard
They usually do that for the blood bowl teams. I'm not really sure it is needed for a CDO unit because the idea is to get everyone's style in there, so going back a few years you could have xanders champion next to ishkur cinderhats musician and snotlings banner bearer, just as an example.

If there was a chosen colour red would probably be best as most people use some red in their army anyway, but I wouldn't want to make it too restrictive.

Would it be best to have miniatures not attached to bases? This way the co ordinator could make sure they all rank up properly. I think that would be the biggest issue if everyone did it themselves.

Kera foehunter:

There will be an kera figure:hat off

torn:

Kera that’s great. If there’s anyone who can get other people enthusiastic for a community project it is you.

Kera foehunter:

well lets make a sign up list ?? and let me sweet talk some one to get us a spot agree?

torn:

Really we need at least 12 I think to make this viable, and worth the postage for whoever wins it. I would just love to see photos of everyone’s warriors together.

I think a late November deadline with December for voting would be ok for a 2014 legacy unit.

We would also need volunteers for the command group.

Bloodbeard:

I say - let’s not make a command group for this. Reason number 1 being: If we are gonna vote who wins the unit, having the possibility to make a command model is a large advantage.

torn:

I say - let's not make a command group for this. Reason number 1 being: If we are gonna vote who wins the unit, having the possibility to make a command model is a large advantage.

Bloodbeard
I agree with your point, but to make a playable unit it needs command models. There was the same issue with the legasy bloodbowl teams where people who get blitzers or throwers got to make a much cooler model then a linesman.

If this takes off I would like to see it as a yearly tradition, so maybe if that happens there cold be a rule where anyone who does a command model isn't allowed to do one the year after? I'm sure somebody else would be able to think of more solutions.

The issue with not doing command models means the front rank will be diluted with non legacy models when used, so photo opportunities would be minimised.

It also doesn't have to be a strictly painting competition. There could be a couple of categories to judge on, I'm thinking a model that best represents the CDO community spirit.

Geist:

I will submit photos of my blunder buss conversions, but wont ship the model/s anywhere. Like Rick on pawn stars says, “It’s not that I don’t trust you, I just don’t trust anyone.”

MadHatter:

Real great idea, I’m in.

torn:

I will submit photos of my blunder buss conversions, but wont ship the model/s anywhere.  Like Rick on pawn stars says, "It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't trust anyone."

Geist
The winner would get your model, or of you won it you would get all of them. Of course its an entirely fair point but I think the CDO community is solid enough to make this not an issue.

Also there would be no pressure for those not wanting to do this. I personally like the idea of somebody else playing games with a guy I painted alongside troops lots of others have painted. It is a personal choice.

Geist:

As I said, I will post as many pics as you want of my blunderbuss conversions (the one I think is best), but the model wont leave my home unless some one puts a generous paypal donation into my account.

torn:

I will give this a bit more time to see if it picks up any more interest. It would be a shame if it didn’t happen. I suppose it also stands to reason that there is less converters of chaos dwarfs now since forgeworld released theirs. It would be tempting just to buy a unit of bfsp warriors to post out to anyone who wanted to try but use fw dwarfs in their armies.

That way those who use expensive warriors wouldn’t be left out. Any thoughts?

Kera foehunter:

come on people!!! lets see what you can do… don’t make me pm you because i will