[Archive] Legion of Azgorh all Chaos Dwarf list?

Jubai Jones:

Cheers fellow Chaos Dwarf enthusiasts,

As I’m fairly new to CDO (long time lurker), I wasn’t sure whether or not this was the right place to post this inquiry. Mods are very welcome to move the topic to the appropriate section.

I have been trying vigorously to find a clear reference, in the Tamurkhan - Throne of Chaos Warhammer Forge book, -that the Legion of Azgorh Chaos Dwarf army list can be played without incorporating elements of other Chaos factions (Warriors, Daemons etc.). As I still haven’t found this reference, I’m starting to think it is ‘impossible’ to field the Chaos Dwarfs on their own. From what I’ve read around the forums however, I’m convinced I must be mistaken, so it’s probably just a case of me being blind.

I hoped someone in here would be able to confirm or deny that it is legitimate to field the Chaos Dwarfs on their own. For personal reassurance, a reference would be greatly appreciated.

I tried searching for an already existing thread on the subject, but the CDO search engine is quite specific, so I haven’t found the answer I was looking for.

Thank you in advance,
Jones

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I can confirm you may indeed run Chaos Dwarves as an army without incorporating units from any other army books. In fact if you look at the army-lists section, you’ll be hard pressed to find a non-pure Chaos Dwarf list even posted.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Skink:

I can confirm you may indeed run Chaos Dwarves as an army without incorporating units from any other army books.  In fact if you look at the army-lists section, you'll be hard pressed to find a non-pure Chaos Dwarf list even posted.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
As a matter of fact I've actually never seen an army list with CDs fielded as allies! Anyway welcome to the forum Jubai Jones, try to search in the section "army list" to get a sample of other memebers builds.

Jubai Jones:

Aye, I browse the Army List section frequently, an excellent source of inspiration for one’s own projects.

-and thank you, I am very much aware that people post their LoA “all Chaos Dwarf” lists on here. I just figured, since I couldn’t find a specific reference in the list, that people assumed as I did, since it is perfectly logical, that it must be legitimate to field them in this way. Alternatively I figured maybe people mostly posted their house rule lists, and so one could be a bit large about the whole legitimacy thing.

I figured from the start that this question was a bit irrelevant/redundant. The only reason I wish to know whether Tamurkhan specifically states that these “all Chaos Dwarf” lists are fully legit, is because I’d like to be sure that my lists are “by the book” (literally in this case). Perfectionism at its best, or OCD -whichever you prefer :slight_smile:

It’s not that I don’t believe in people when they tell me that I can indeed field an all Chaos Dwarf list (I mean, subconsciously I’ve known all along). I’ll just never get rid of that irritating feeling, that I can’t back it up with a concrete reference.

So if people have the reference I’m obsessively searching for, please post it here, only then will I be able to sleep peacefully at night :wink:

Grimbold Blackhammer:

It appears Jubai Jones has stumbled upon a most curious preposition. The rules for fielding Chaos Dwarf units do not seem to include the option to field them as a stand-alone army. Unless I’ve missed something obvious, the rules of how to field Chaos Dwarves are quite specific and and meant to be fielded supplementing other army books. While I may not like my own inturrpretation and we can speculate what the author’s intentions may have been, RAW seems to forbid an all Chaos Dwarf army. Booooooooo!!!

Grimbold Blackhammer

PS - please someone find something I’ve missed!

Skink:

I don’t have the book with me but there’s a page where it’s said you can use CDs as a standalone army or as part as a Grand Chaos Army (or however it is called).

Chico:

The intro in the The Legion of Azgorh page 186, '‘The Legion of Azgorh doen’t represent the full range of Chaos Dwarfs of the power, but should provide a mighty and characterful force on the battlefield, ALLOWING YOU TO FIELD A FULL SCALE ARMY OF CHAOS DWARFS IN YOUR GAMES OF WARHAMMER’'

Heh thats good enough for me :slight_smile:

Jubai Jones:

The intro in the The Legion of Azgorh page 186, ''The Legion of Azgorh doen't represent the full range of Chaos Dwarfs of the power, but should provide a mighty and characterful force on the battlefield, ALLOWING YOU TO FIELD A FULL SCALE ARMY OF CHAOS DWARFS IN YOUR GAMES OF WARHAMMER''

Heh thats good enough for me :)

Chico
This is also the closest reference I've found that describes that it should be legit to field them on their own. However, it is of course entirely possible to field a full scale army of Chaos Dwarfs as a supplement in an already existing army, a Warriors of Chaos force for example.

I am aware that I'm being extremely picky in this. But as the above is still a debatable description, I find it hard to believe that this is the clear reference we need. I'm certain there must be (since there should be) an undeniable reference somewhere.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I suppose that vague sentence can be inturrpreted that way. But right next to that lists the rules for fielding Chaos Dwarves in a WoC army… The section on pg 167 titled “Fighting games of Warhammer with Chaos Dwarfs” reads "Chaos Dwarves can be used by incorporating their units into your existing Warriors of Chaos army or by using them as Contingent Forces in the Chaos Great Host army. The Bestiary section that follow and the Legion of Azgorg army list contain all the profiles, special rules, and entries to enable you to do this, and in particular the Legion of Azgorh army list makes note of which particular units can be directly incororated into a Warriors of Chaos army, and how this is achieved."

Now on the flip side of the coin, I just checked the new Empire book and no where could I find a sentence that states they can be fielded as a stand alone army either. So the absence of the rule does not specifically support their not being a stand-alone army.

I’ll write the nice folks at FW and letter and ask. Unlike GW, they actually respond!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Chico:

Well if you want a clear cut yes or no answer, i guess you need to shoot Warhammer Forge a email. There actual quite good at replying.

Cheers

Chico

rpitts2004:

The intro in the The Legion of Azgorh page 186, ''The Legion of Azgorh doen't represent the full range of Chaos Dwarfs of the power, but should provide a mighty and characterful force on the battlefield, ALLOWING YOU TO FIELD A FULL SCALE ARMY OF CHAOS DWARFS IN YOUR GAMES OF WARHAMMER''

Heh thats good enough for me :)

Chico
This is also the closest reference I've found that describes that it should be legit to field them on their own. However, it is of course entirely possible to field a full scale army of Chaos Dwarfs as a supplement in an already existing army, a Warriors of Chaos force for example.

I am aware that I'm being extremely picky in this. But as the above is still a debatable description, I find it hard to believe that this is the clear reference we need. I'm certain there must be (since there should be) an undeniable reference somewhere.

Jubai Jones
I don't see how it is debatable. LOA is accepted as a full official 8th edition list, I have brought them to GT tournaments, GW tournaments and so on and so forth, on the page stated above it says with what Chico said. And from what you are saying you won't take an answer from anyone but Forgeworld, so shoot them an email and they can tell you themselves =). If this really was a problem it would come up a lot more.

Chico:

Found it, last paragraph of page 105.

rpitts2004:

:hat off

Found it, last paragraph of page 105.

Chico
+1

Jubai Jones:

At long last, I knew I had missed it. We can’t expect to find a more solid definition than this, nice find. I appreciate the effort mate :cheers

Chico:

No problem, just send me slaves :wink:

Jubai Jones:

Being new on here, I’m a bit low on slaves, I’ll keep you in mind when I manage to acquire some more :slight_smile:

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Confirmed from Forge World:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. The chaos dwarf list can be used as an army in its own right. the boxed text just explains about how it differs if you are using it in Chaos Warrior forces or a Great Host.

And they replied within 30 minutes. Nice!!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Jubai Jones:

I don't see how it is debatable. LOA is accepted as a full official 8th edition list, I have brought them to GT tournaments, GW tournaments and so on and so forth, on the page stated above it says with what Chico said. And from what you are saying you won't take an answer from anyone but Forgeworld, so shoot them an email and they can tell you themselves =). If this really was a problem it would come up a lot more.

rpitts2004

I missed this post earlier.

Forgive me for my choice of words, I merely suggested that if the description could be interpreted as it being legit to field a full scale Chaos Dwarf force as a supplement to a Chaos Warriors list (for example), it wasn't the clear "permission" that I felt was missing.

Also, I never said I wouldn't accept answers from members on here, otherwise there would be no sense in me posting here? I specifically hoped that someone here could show me the previously missing reference, and to my delight someone did.

rpitts2004:

Yeah looks like it worked out

Croakamancer:

Hells, sorry for the mild thread-necromancy, but I can’t figure out how CD are supposed to be taken with the Horde list. :wink: It keeps reffing all the other army lists, Beastmen, Daemons, Warriors, but not the one they put together specifically for this book, even in spite of the fluff of the campaign and at least one quote implying you were supposed to be able to do that. Perhaps I’m just overlooking something, and I saw the WoC rules for them, but still… :slight_smile: