[Archive] Legion of Azgorth 1500 pts

Marduk:

This is my first list ever with Chaos Dwarfs. I am going to play against very competitive players who will always have at least a special character, so I need some advice please.

Here it goes. The list is 1500 pts.

Lords

Sorcerer-Prophet, Lvl 4, Mask of the Furnace, Lore of Hashut

Heroes

Dark Castellan, Shield, BSB, Black Hammer of Hashut

Core Units

Infernal Guard (23) w/Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

Hobgoblin Cutthroats (16) w/bows

Special Units

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher

Rare Units

K’daii Destroyer

The Black Hammer of Hashut and Banner of Eternal Flame are in the list hoping the sorcerer will get Ash Storm and make enemies flammable.

I am not using Bull Centaurs because I have no appropriate miniatures.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

At 1500 points, I think you’re going to be playing “kick the baby” by fielding that K’daii Destroyer.  If you want your opponent to have a fun game, I’d leave it at home.

Grimbold Blackhammer

fattdex:

hobgobs are 20+ in a unit I believe??

if you go 2 blocks of 14 infernal guard FC, give the deathmasks naphta bombs, and change the lv 4’s mask of the furnace to an an enchanted shield and talisman of preservation he gets 2/4+ and the list fits in under 1497.

dromar:

Yep, i do agree that playing k’daai destroyer at this amount of point is bad, try something else like bull centaurs, k’daai fireborn or simply more infernal and hobgoblins

zhatan87:

Hobgoblin Cutthroats (16) w/bows
20+ hobgoblins.

At 1500 pts, level 4+ stubborn castellan BSB+1 magma+1 deathshrieker+1 destroyer = very strong list...
No problem to deal with "very competitive players":)
You only need to play the destroyer well : try to avoid to be redirected, strike the most expensive unit.

If you need to make the list "stronger", death lore on your level 4, enchanted shield and talisman of preservation on him.
Dragon helm on the BSB.
Shields on hobgoblins.

Marduk:

Thanks to all for your feedback.

I’m keeping the K’daii Destroyer because I have nothing to use for the monstrous infantry or monstrous beasts, but I need something that moves fast and hits hard. In addition, as I said before, my opponents are really competitive and they wouldn’t hesitate to field a Destroyer. In their own way, they always field their own armies’ “K’daii Destroyers”, be they special characters or specially powerful monsters. I have no remorse to field this animal at 1500 pts, at least not yet!

Hobgoblins 20+ !! Thanks for noticing. I have corrected the mistake.

I used some recommendations from Fattdex and Zhatan. Dragonhelm for the BSB and shields for the hobgoblins are good to improve the defensive profile. I saved some points in the Sorcerer-Prophet and was able to add a Dispel Scroll.

Zhatan, I had not noticed the Dark Castellan was Stubborn!! That’s great!

So this is the new list:

Lords

Sorcerer-Prophet, Lvl 4, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Death

Heroes

Dark Castellan, Shield, BSB, Black Hammer of Hashut, Dragonhelm

Core Units

Infernal Guard (18), Musician, Standard Bearer, Deathmask (Naphta Bombs)

Hobgobling Cutthroats (22) w/shields and bows, Musician

Special Units

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher

Rare Units

K’daii Destroyer

What do you think? Is it legal now?

Thanks again to all.

dromar:

I would have kept the lore of hashut 'cause voice of hartred, flamm of azgoth and ash storm: those are monstrous spell, easy to take with a level 4. Otherwise, the list looks good.

zhatan87:

(Naphta Bombs)
No use here. Interesting when you play fireglaives or blunderbusses.

Try the death lore and hashut one, and keep the lore you prefer. Both are good, and it's a matter of taste:)

Marduk:

I was more concerned about deciding the allocation of points and readying the miniatures. I still have a couple of days to decide the lore, but I think the Lore of Hashut has more variety. I particularly like Ash Storm, since it can delay a powerful unit moving forward.

Marduk:

Update:

I went to battle with a last minute modification. I changed the K’daii Destroyer and the Rocket Launcher for a unit of 3 Fireborns and one Dreadquake mortar. I used the extra points to increase the sizes of the Infernal Guard and Hobgoblin units.

The Fireborns were useful as a short-lived anvil. I used it to receive the charge of an enemy unit of Wild Riders with General on Great Stag. It held in place just long enough for my ally’s Phoenix Guard to charge them on the flank and kill the enemy’s general. The enemy unit fled and the surviving Fireborn pursued and captured them. The proud Fireborn then thought of going back into combat but sneezed and burned itself up.

Conclusion: The Fireborns did well but I fear that they did so only because the ally provided a unit which could deliver a Mv 5 flank charge with enough effective attacks to break the opponent. I still need a hammer unit.

Additional comments:

I used the Lore of Hashut and liked it very much since I had a nice mix of spells.

I did not use the magma cannon on the enemy’s treekin unit until the third round, but one shot was enough to make them run away (they did not flee, my opponent maneouvered them out of the way).