[Archive] [LoA] 1000 & 2000 point lists

Knight Of Awsome:

Hi,

I’ve made up two lists that I would very much like feedback on. I only have ~10 Chaos dwarfs I’m working on at the moment, and a couple other things on order, so these lists are pretty moveable. The 1,000 point list is a precursor to the 2,000 point list, so keep that in mind.

aka_mythos:

I think in the 2000pt list you might get more “bang for your buck” by taking 100pts fewer fireglaives and taking a second deathshrieker rocket.

mistrmoon:

Whats this, 2 spare points in your 1000 point list, looks like room for a pistol to me!

Knight Of Awsome:

For the 2,000 point list, I’m considering running two 10 man squads as general support for the artillery and the large block. Does anyone have any advice?

I’ve been reading around and it seems that as far as shooting goes, everyone has a different opinion. In general… if the army is focused around one large block, how exactly does one support and make sure that ~800 point block doesn’t die, or artillery doesn’t go pop either to being out maneuvered?

MLP:

For the 2,000 point list, I'm considering running two 10 man squads as general support for the artillery and the large block. Does anyone have any advice?

I've been reading around and it seems that as far as shooting goes, everyone has a different opinion. In general... if the army is focused around one large block, how exactly does one support and make sure that ~800 point block doesn't die, or artillery doesn't go pop either to being out maneuvered?

Knight Of Awsome
I don't think you really need an ~800 pt block it's pretty vulnerable to templates. Also using IG as artilary support can't always work as the fireglaive/blunderbuss have such short range.

Your artilary shouldnt pop too easily as they're generally pretty tough. Especially if you make them hellbound and have them guarded by a daemonsmith to help out against skirmishers.

I've also noticed you have a 19 man blunderbuss unit. At 20+ models the unit gets rerolls to wound so I'd always say to have blunders at a minimum of 25 strong. Mainly because you're likely to lose a few before they're in range to fire.

Knight Of Awsome:

If I run my Sorcerer Prophet and/or my Castellan with the 28 dwarf unit then the whole unit is above 800 points. Thankfully the Lichebone Pennant plays to a advantage in this situation. At least at the 2,000 point level the unit isn’t exactly the main magnet, there’s enough war-machines and a K’daai for a opponent to look out for.

I’ve updated the lists, I don’t really know my plan anymore. Trying to produce something at these points levels is really limiting.

1,000 point:

aka_mythos:

Trying to produce something at these points levels is really limiting.

Knight Of Awsome
I think most everyone would agree. With the high point cost of the army you're pretty much forced into taking certain units. The problem is once you've taken those units you're left with few points to put into the units that distinguishes CD armies from each other.

This is what I mean. The following or something like it, is the foundation of 90% of the CD armies now, just because so many units or their upgrades are cost ineffective:
Heroes (330pts)
Daemonsmith Sorcerer
Charmed Shield, Dispell Scroll, Lore of Fire
Infernal Castellan
Battle Standard Bearer, Ironcurse Icon, Mask of the Furnace, Shield
Core (335pts)
Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard
24x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, Deathmask, Musician
Standard Bearer
Lichebone Pennant
Special (345pts)
Deathshrieker Rocket
Deathshrieker Rocket
Magma Cannon
Rare (325pts)
K'daai Destroyer
That leaves you with 665pts to build the rest of your army and distinguish it from everyone elses... And of that 665 you have to spend 165 on Core choices. That's only 500 points to spend to make your army yours. That will get you a Sorcerer Propher on a mount, another block of Infernal Guard, a number of Bull Centaurs or Fireborn, or Wolf Riders or some combination of those. So yes we're quite limited.

zhatan87:

Your last list is very strong (2000 pts list). Don’t be too worried…:slight_smile:

Unless you definitely want to play the Hashut lore, and if you want to try others things, I recommend not to play the prophet sorcerer, and reducing your magic items to the most needed : dragon helm on your castellan for example and magic shields on wizard characters (enchanted shield and charmed shield).

If you feel that you can be outmaneuvered (and it can, if you don’t often play with very few units), you can go with some hobgoblins (shields and bow) to fill core choices.

K’daai destroyer in a 2000 pts format seems to be very strong. I’ll play it only

Knight Of Awsome:

I’d like to play hobgoblins at some point, I love the oldschool models. It’s something I would think about if I found that’s what the army needed, but at the moment and any ‘cool’ hobgoblin unit is simply too much work/money/difficult to find for the first list.

Thanks to the new list, I’m considering dropping the K’daai destroyer in favor of the Hellcannon (FAQ yay!). That would give me 120 more points to play with… that’s four artillery though. (I don’t really like the crew models, or have the WoC army book, so those are the only two points really stopping me)

Had a little fun with this

2,000 points:

Heroes (500pts)

Daemonsmith Sorcerer

Charmed Shield, Dispell Scroll, Level 2 , Lore of Fire

Daemonsmith Sorcerer

Enchanted Shield , Level 2 , Lore of Death

Infernal Castellan

Battle Standard Bearer , Ironcurse Icon , Mask of the Furnace , Shield)

Core (700pts)

29x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard FC

24x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, FC

Special (570pts)

Bull Centaur Renders

4x Bull Centaur Renders, FC, 4x Great Weapons

Deathshrieker Rocket

Deathshrieker Rocket

Magma Cannon

Rare

Hellcannon

(1975pts)

Nicodemus:

Way too many explicitly listed points costs there KoA, expecially all your magic items, etc etc.