[Archive] LoA Warmachine heavy, hobgoblin and sorcerer army 2500 pts

Da Crusha:

I have been thinking about fielding a cd army that focuses more on our great warmachines and came up with this list to maximize their potential. I always go to tourneys so this is an all comers list.

sorcerer prophet 400
level 4 death
talisman of preservation
charmed shield
arabyan carpet

deamonsmith 145
lvl 2 fire
opal amulet

deamonsmith 155
lvl 2 fire
dispel scroll

deamonsmith  120
lvl 1 fire
enchanted shield
luckstone
channeling staff

52 hobgobbos with mus 212
52 hobgobbos with mus 212
51 hobgobbos with mus 208

magma cannon hellbound 170
magma cannon 145
iron deamon hellbound 310

dreadquake with ogre 215
hellcannon 205

Lord 400 pts
hero 420 pts
core 632 pts
special 625 pts
rare 420 pts

2497 pts

the idea is to use flame cage, deathquake to slow opponents, doom and darkness with hellcannon and burning head to panic things away and warmachines and fireball to just shot them to death. when the opponent gets close I plan on engaging with all of my tarpits, 3 big units of hg’s and the iron deamon. I was going back and forth between the effectiveness of deathquake versus 2 deathshriekers. I like the killing power of the dreadquake combined with the added danger of a dangerous terrain test, but also 2, 5 inch S3 pie templates that cause panic doesnt sound bad either. opinions?

Time of Madness:

Eww gunline… :slight_smile:

I’m assuming you took 3 smiths so each one could stay near a war machine?

What if you don’t roll flame cage? I think you need to re-evaluate taking 4 wizards as I just don’t think you will have enough dice each turn to make them effective. Look at taking a prophet and a single level 1 (or level 2).

Have you thought about taking a large unit of 30ish blunderbusses for the prophet to hang out in. This would give you some more shooting, but with the addition of a bsb they become way more reliable then the hobgoblins at sticking around.

Time of Madness

Samanos:

u have no units for ur characters

deadlydeceiver:

IMHO ^^ you do not need a Daemonsmith for every Warmachine. Usually one in 3" of 2 Warmachines is enough.
So, I’d drop one smith and get a Deathshrieker and Bows for some Hobbos

BTW: The Dreadquake is a Rare choice.

DD

Da Crusha:

ok yeah, I forgot to mention, yes all the deamonsmiths and the prophet will be sitting 3" from each of the warmachines, and hell cannon. initially I planned on having a sorcerer in between 3 war machines to protect from misfires, the look out sir will protect him from being targeted. I ended up putting 4 sorcerers in the list to also help with accuracy allowing me to reroll the scatter dice if there is no misfire. the sorcerers serve a double duty helping me in the shooting phase and the magic phase. even if they cannot all cast spells, having 5 levels of fire magic should help me get fire cage. and having so many sorcerers will help me channel magic dice. the biggest problem I will have is fast troops.

as far as deployment goes I plan on 2 units of hobogobbos deploying on flanks all the way back to prevent fast troops from charging my war machines. the third unit will be either in the center or sit opposite of the iron deamon near the center depending on the opponents deployment. the sorcerer with the enchanted shield who is also the cheapest one will deploy with the war machines on the weakest flank. the opal amulet sorcerer will ideally be the main fire caster. hopefully his one use ward save will pay off if I miscast. the prophet will stay near warmachines until the opponent starts closing in and if there are no major threats he will fly around and begin sniping charcters with his death magic.

ToM: originally when I first wrote up the list I planned on using either fireglaives or blunderbuss sticking with the gunline theme. I may still put them in. I want to try out this list first. also the cheapest deamonsmith was originally going to be a bsb but then I realized I didnt have a unit to put him in. the hobgobbos are sooo much cheaper then fireglaive/blunderbuss and always take a few turns to hack through I thought they would make better tarpits with their steadfast.

DD: I still really want to use a deathshrieker so I may go in that direction. I was never really sold on the bows they always disappointed me when I gave them a shot, might still give it a go though. thanks for pointing out the rare choice thing. fixed it*

Samanos:

LoS is not going to protect ur sorcerers from cannons and stuff. if u take LoS roll while being hit by a cannonball for example, then the machine will suffer the hit.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Unfortunately a good cannon shot will go through a war machine, through the wizard, the wizard will make his Look Out, Sir! roll, and the war machine will be hit again virtually assuring its destruction. Cannons = bad.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Da Crusha:

yeah, my war machine taking the hit for a sorcerer is pretty painful but my war machines are gonna be the priority target any way. I know cannons would be my first target as well. if I have to face cannons then it is just a danger Ill have to deal with. like grimbold said cannons are bad.

Da Crusha:

so I changed the list a little bit, gonna try it out tonight. here is the new list. unfortunately I never tried the other one but I feel like this one has better synergy.

sorcerer prophet 370
level 4 Hashut
talisman of preservation
charmed shield
Blood of Hashut
deamonsmith 145
lvl 2 fire
opal amulet

deamonsmith 155
lvl 2 fire
dispel scroll

deamonsmith  120
lvl 1 death
enchanted shield
luckstone
channeling staff

43 hobgobbos with bows and mus 219
44 hobgobbos with bows and mus 223

magma cannon hellbound 170
magma cannon 145
iron deamon hellbound 310

dreadquake with ogre 215
hellcannon 205

Lord 370 pts
hero 420 pts
core 665 pts
special 625 pts
rare 420 pts

2500 pts

I pretty much have the same plan except I will be using ashstorm instead of doom and darkness. if I dont roll ashstorm or flame cage, I will be shooting a whole bunch of fireballs every turn.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Unless you’re playing with a more powerful winds of magic, I think you have three too many wizards. Overall this looks like one of the most boring lists to play and play against I’ve ever seen… Sorry =(

Grimbold Blackhammer

MLP:

I think this list is just asking for a panic mayhem! without a bsb and your general flying about all over the place it wont take long for your hobgoblins to break. It’ll only take one flank charge to get rid of steadfast and ruin that line.

I would keep your general and demonsmith back with the warmachines and use infernal guard maybe supported with Hobgoblins as your core. definitely have a bsb and use cheap wolf raiders to march block and flank enemies while your artillary and magic destroys them. I would get rid of the iron demon for this tactic as I think they’re too awkward to maneuver.

Da Crusha:

Unless you're playing with a more powerful winds of magic, I think you have three too many wizards.  Overall this looks like one of the most boring lists to play and play against I've ever seen...  Sorry =(

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
I can make worse! :D yes, this list is different than most cd lists.

ok so I played my first game with it. I used the second list btw, so no flying wizard.

I played against a khorne demon list with a tzeentch metal wizard with lore master. his army consisted of 3 units of bloodletters I would guess around 30 each. he had 8 bloodcrushers with a mounted bsb and mounted skulltaker. 3 units of 6 or so furies. I didnt roll the flame cage.

he got the first turn and closed the distance very quickly. on my turn I ashstorm the crushers and then shot both magma cannons and the hellcannon at them. killed the bsb and all but 3 blood crusher and skulltaker. next turn he advanced and I didnt get off ashstorm again but killed 2 more crushers. killed a bunch of bloodletters sporadically with bowfire and warmachine shots. eventually I was overrun by his bloodletters. no bsb and one hg unit just out of general range was not good. skulltaker challenged agaist my sorc lord and I couldnt use hashuts blood because he was killing blowed immediately.

my buddies said I should castle up in the corner for maximum effectiveness and also drop a sorc for a bsb. even without a bunker for him they believed he should be in the list. they also suggested more redirectors such as 20 man units of hgs or wolf riders. Im going to make some changes to the list.

MLP:

my buddies said I should castle up in the corner for maximum effectiveness and also drop a sorc for a bsb. even without a bunker for him they believed he should be in the list. they also suggested more redirectors such as 20 man units of hgs or wolf riders. Im going to make some changes to the list.

Da Crusha
Pretty much what I suggested :cheers

Da Crusha:

so here is the revised list. unfortunately I was getting ready for a tourney coming up and according to the Composition score sheet, this army scores only a 18 out of 30. so I may have to use a more conventional list for the tourney. any how, since Im working on this one, here it is:

sorcerer prophet 370
level 4 Hashut
talisman of preservation
charmed shield
Blood of Hashut

deamonsmith  120
lvl 1 Fire
Dispel Scroll

Infernal Castellan 197
BSB
Mask of the furnace
shield

Hobgoblin khan 63
light armour
enchanted shield
Spear
wolf

43 hobgobbos with bows and mus 219

magma cannon
magma cannon
iron deamon hellbound

dreadquake with ogre 215
hellcannon

5 wolf raiders with mus

Lord 370 pts
hero 370 pts
core 665 pts
special 600 pts
rare 485 pts

2500 pts

MLP:

Quite a nice list! lots of firepower! How does the composition score sheet work?

Da Crusha:

Quite a nice list! lots of firepower! How does the composition score sheet work?

MLP
well, pretty much we are rewarded for playing at a tournament with a softer list. harder lists are given less tournament points. this can affect the overall score of the player. for example I remember a guy at a tourney that would always bring super hard lists and would just destroy everyone. he went the tourney 5-0 in 100+ player tournament. then there was a dwarf player that didnt do as well but still did farely well with a 4 wins and a tie or something like that. his list consisted of mostly basic warriors with minimal war machine support. the dwarf player ended up getting best general because of his high composition score. the player with the super hard list ended taking 3rd or 4th place in the best general category because he scored very few composition points. generally the composition and battle scores are added together to determine best general.

here is a link to the Composition score sheet.
http://sactosaws.com/SAWSChallenge/SAWSChallenge.htm