[Archive] Look at these rubbish figures!

nitroglysarine:

Possibly (sorry I keep the brightness at a minimum to save electricity)

Hashut’s Blessing:

I would also point out that the heads look like the Lizardmen glyphs - I.E. Square, with rounded edges.

On top of that, the “scales” actually appear to be most sculptors simple pile of gold with gems and jewels in it. Just painted to look like scales.

The wings don’t flow from rest of the body and look tacked on and don’t connect to the “goldpile” properly.

The wings don’t imply ANY movement at all, let alone that they ever might fly.

The stance looks unnatural (not in a dragon way. In a physically impossible/uncomfortable way).

The left leg is under the body and doesn’t look like it can come away from it, but a part of it.

The rider’s helmets look “gummy”, but that could be the paint having been drying up in painting.

The horns look like the spines fromt he GW Cave Drake’s head instead of bony/hairy protrusions.

The riders are sat on saddles on stools somehow held to the neck and magically don’t slide down.

The lack of arms makes them wyvernesque instead of draconian and unbalances the models horribly.

The unit champion’s drakon looks like it’s seen something scary, farted and the wind is blowing it backwards, whilst its slightly spasticated, squared-off head looks scared and has NO horns (surely the most powerful warrior would use the most powerful of the mounts… Generally, bigger horns means more powerful/dangerous/waeponified in the animal world).

Just my first thoughts.

nitroglysarine:

And I’ve finally figured out what it reminds me of:-

Blue in VT:

;P;P;):cheers

You guys crack me up!!! hahaha

Blue

Shakhorth:

Whahahhhaahhah, didn’t expect to see such ‘quality’ of models. :slight_smile:

AGPO:

I’m with Baggronor on this. The thing thatgets me really annoyed about Mantic is that they have the ability to be soooo muchbetter than they are. Why can’t we just have some nice generic fantasy elves dwarfs and the like which we can used without feeling embarressed at the awful sculpt quality?

Abecedar:

I am going to go against the trend here, but I don't mind them. Sure they are not the fierce dragon models that they could have been. I would certainly use them in a wargame. I suppose I am sort of player that likes a little bit of "toy-ish" charm in my games.

G.2
If your "Tough enough" ahem I mean brave enough to field them, well all the more Kudos for you, Sir Knight. But if your mount dies can I come over for dinner?

Golder Goldeater:

I was just about posting these on Bugman’s Brewery.
Jeez! They suck! :sick
The paintjob is more than fine but even it doesn’t compensate for the poor sculpting. :frowning:
I mean, even I can come up with sth better than that!

How is a Drakon not a Dragon?

Thommy H
They are meant to be distant cousins…That’s what their fluff says.
“Draco” is Latin for Dragon, after all.

Thommy H
Yep! As wikipedia puts it
“The English word “dragon” derives from Greek δράκ�?ν (drákōn), “dragon, serpent of huge size, water-snake”, which probably comes from the verb δρακε�-ν (drakeîn) “to see clearly” or “that which flashes or gleams” (perhaps referring to reflective scales or eyes)”

Tarrakk Blackhand:

C’mon Thommy! These models are great…for kids!

nitroglysarine:

Hadn’t spotted this before!
And yes, holly sweet Cthulhu does it look well, poor.

Thommy H:

There is such a huge gulf in the miniatures market these days. How things like this get produced in the age of Andy Foster’s dragon, Paul Muller’s ghouls or even the stuff coming out of Games Workshop at the moment, I have no idea. Not all sculptor’s are made equal, but you can’t be competitive with this kind of thing.

Baggronor:

Argh, my eyes!! Stop resurrecting this horrible thread!!

There is such a huge gulf in the miniatures market these days. How things like this get produced in the age of Andy Foster’s dragon, Paul Muller’s ghouls or even the stuff coming out of Games Workshop at the moment, I have no idea. Not all sculptor’s are made equal, but you can’t be competitive with this kind of thing.
Bizarre, isn’t it. All that money and this is what they produced. Although, you’d be hard-pressed to find anything else nearly as shocking from any other mini company, I think, even the tiny ones. Which makes these all the more absurd. They don’t seem to understand that once you have a reputation for being crap, its permanent.

cornixt:

Anyone got some ideas for similar size dragon models that actually loot nice, preferably the serpentine style. I’d like to get some warhawk riders but hate the surfing guys, and since the WE army already has a dragon, having smaller dragons would be nice. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad dragon models out there.

dncswlf:

So it looks like I am the only person who would actually field these dragons on a gaming table. Well I guess my "street cred" has just diminshed. - Hang my head in shame. :)

G.2
I don't think they look horrible... I'd field them if I had them! Are the riders humans though? I like the comedy value too... I have a whole unit of squig riders... they are pretty comic! I don't think I'd rush out and buy them.. but if I did have them I'd terrorize some armies with them!

snowblizz:

Are the riders humans though?

dncswlf
No, Mantic elfs, which certainly doesn't help if ya know what I mean...

ChungEssence:

Lol, classic.

I actually like the Mantic undead, but the dwarfs are terrible.

Hilarious mini, like something you’d get out of a Christmas cracker