[Archive] Looking for that special paint color

Stampy:

Hey everyone;

I am just getting ready to start to paint my first unit of chaos dwarfs.(titan games models actually.) What I am looking for is a darker silver color. Not to bright and shiney but a smoky silver color to compliment my brass color that I am using for my army. So if anyone knows what the name of this color is and or what paint company makes this color I would be very greatful indeed. Thanks.

Pyro Stick:

…boltgun metal?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Sherlocko:

I think in gws current line the closest is leadbelcher. I usually highligth it with ironbreaker and finish orff with runefang steel. Not sure on the names, but thing i got them rigth

Stampy:

Actually leadbelcher and boltgun metal are the same just different names. I’m looking for something a bit darker, can anybody help me with this?

Blue in VT:

Add black!

Blue

Mad Dave:

use a wash maybe

Da Crusha:

boltgun metal with badab black wash

warh:

Vallejo model air black metallic, the model air metallic’s are the best looking metallic paint’s I’ve ever used. You do need to wash it with black and matt varnish it to get the effect your after.

G.2:

I would agree with Warh. The Vallejo Model Air metallics are very impressive.

Here is an image of the "Vallejo VAL71181 Vallejo Model Air Color Set Metallic Effects"

There appears to be some dark metallic colours in there.

GRNDL:

How about mixing some old tin bitz with silver and then a dark wash, perhaps black or dark brown? I find silver+black is too dull, so putting in some colour helps liven it up. Goes well with red and gold as well, I find.

G.2:

How about mixing some old tin bitz with silver and then a dark wash,

GRNDL
This sounds like it could work.

Groznit Goregut:

The new GW paints are far better than the older stuff, but I have recently used both. I believe that just the GW paints and some washes can get you the color you want. I’ve also had good success with doing a coat of black wash and then brown wash to give a metal a really dull and old color.

Thommy H:

I did the armour my Titan Wargames Dwarves with the following method:

• Paint a 50/50 mix of Boltgun Metal and Chaos Black (now called Leadbelcher and Abbadon Black respectively) over a black undercoat.

• Highlight with Boltgun Metal/Leadbelcher. Drybrush any flat areas if you’re doing a big unit.

• Do a final edge highlight with Mithril Silver (Runefang Steel).

This gives a nice, dark, carbonated look to the armour.

brotsorrow:

Vallejo model air black metallic, the model air metallic's are the best looking metallic paint's I've ever used. You do need to wash it with black and matt varnish it to get the effect your after.

warh
I am using the vallejo air model gun metal.... Truly love this colour for my chaos dwarfs

G.2:

I am just getting ready to start to paint my first unit of chaos dwarfs.(titan games models actually.) What I am looking for is a darker silver color....

Stampy
Ok, I keep checking back to this thread to see what Stampy has come up with, and I really want to see some photos.

Kera foehunter:

How about codex grey …if your going to Wash it anyway.

pfffffffffffff metallic paints

G.2:

Today’s quote of the day;

pfffffffffffff metallic paints

Kera foehunter