[Archive] Madhatter's 9th Age Armylists

MadHatter:

Reserved for index

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

MadHatter:

'The Gorak-Zharr Besiegers’
4500pts, 9th Age v1.35

First list for 9th Age, been in the works for weeks now :slight_smile:

So the Prophet and Vizier goes in the Immortals unit and the Hobgoblin Chieftain goes with the Hobgoblin horde. The list tries to play strong in the combat phase while performing decent in both magic and shooting and somewhat control the movement with a toolbox of flintlocks to moderate fast cav., Deathrocket to eventually panic units outside of the Ld bubble and Mortar to stop marches and charges, as for Magic I’m so inexperienced with the new lores however Occultism seems like it’s got alot of fun things going for it with character sniping and bonus to cast and dispel

Lords & Heroes

Prophet Wizard (240pts)
+Master Wizard (70pts)
3 Spells, Occultism/Alchemy/Pyromancy (100pts)
Scepter of Power (20pts) Arcane Items
Heavy Shield (10pts) Magical Armor
Gauntlets of Might (20pts) Enchanted Items
Axe of Battle (60pts) Magical Weapons
Sprout of Rebirth (80pts) Talismans
=600pts

Vizier (150pts)
+Shield (4pts)
+Infernal Weapon (30pts)
+BSB (50pts)
Dragonhelm (30pts)
Banner of Speed (50pts)
Gem of Fortune (35pts)
=349pts

Hobgoblin Chieftain (70pts)
+Shield (4pts)
+Light armor (4pts)
+Charm of Cursed Iron (30pts)
=108pts

Core
10 Citadel Guard (190pts)
Flintlock Axes (100pts)
=290pts

10 Citadel Guard (190pts)
Flintlock Axes (100pts)
=290pts

40 Hobgoblins, 20 (110pts) + 20 (160pts)
Spears and shields (120pts)
+Champion (20pts)
+Standard (20pts)
+Musician (20pts)
=450pts

Special
28 Immortals, 15 (300pts) + 13 (364pts)
+Shields (56pts)
+Infernal Weapon (Free)
+Champion (20pts)
+Standard (20pts)
+Musician (20pts)
+Rending Banner (70pts)
=850pts

Barrage
Deathrocket (190pts)
Titan Mortar (305pts)
=495pts

Bounds and Binders
Infernal Engine (460pts)
+Steamhammers (Free)

Armored Giant (300pts)

Armored Giant (300pts)

Zanthrax:

I like it and good to see the engine getting a run

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I think your Wizard needs more than a 6+ Ward save. I think he’s too expensive to not have one. I haven’t tried the giants yet - how are they working out for you?

MadHatter:

I think your Wizard needs more than a 6+ Ward save.  I think he's too expensive to not have one.  I haven't tried the giants yet - how are they working out for you?

Grimbold Blackhammer
On paper the armored giants look solid to me, esp. against MSU or to get them into flanks vs. hordes, we'll see I guess :) Haven't got a chance to field it yet, it's what I'm currently getting my army in shape for though, might be the wizard needs a different kit, could maybe drop the BoAK for a sprout? Could use the extra 30 points to get a shield and light armor on that Khan? Or
-talisman of shielding, BoAK
+sprout, scepter of power on prophet
-paired weapons
+shield, light armor on the Khan

Would it look better you think?
I like it and good to see the engine getting a run

Zanthrax
I wouldn't go to war without proper panzer :hat off

MadHatter:

*Updated the list, thanks for the input :hat off

Skink:

That´s an interesting list. Please let us know how it fares on the battlefield!

Personally I go Kadim Heavy, and I ALWAYS bring both Bolt Throwers and the Ring + Hammer + Flaming Standard combo. In fact, my heroes + Citadel Guard always minced everthing that charged them, be they heroes on monsters or units!

MadHatter:

That´s an interesting list. Please let us know how it fares on the battlefield!

Personally I go Kadim Heavy, and I ALWAYS bring both Bolt Throwers and the Ring + Hammer + Flaming Standard combo. In fact, my heroes + Citadel Guard always minced everthing that charged them, be they heroes on monsters or units!

Skink
Thanks!

Yeah, I was going for the hammer/ring/banner combo at first but I wanted more drops and score aswell as get what movement control I could in as I'm so used to the dual hellcannons and ashstorm from 8th :)

I promise I'll get the reports going again and report back here, with Hashut's blessing I'll get the first games in by autumn :)

TheHoodedMan:

The list is fine. Your important stuff is stable. I don`t play the ring/flame banner combo, too. Nobody voluntarily confronts the immortals block anyway.

For this reason the rending banner is also not necessary from my point of view.

I play my prophet with axe and gauntlets, too, but give him only one of the magic shields and and an arcane item in addition. The unit gets the speed banner and the BSB the ring of fire or skull splitter.

The war machines are very dependent from good dice rolls and not very resilient sadly. The titan mortar is rather expensive. If you hit something everything is fine ;-). This are the two choices I would question first.

Skink:

The war machines are very dependent from good dice rolls and not very resilient sadly. The titan mortar is rather expensive. If you hit something everything is fine ;-). This are the two choices I would question first.

TheHoodedMan
Actually, I find that our warmachines work very well in concert with the Hobgoblins, and as long as you mix your firepower then you are less reliant on good dice rolls.

I tend to go to battle with 3x20 Archers and the Bolt Throwers + a Rocket or Mortar. The Hobgoblins can efficiently saturate the air with low S arrows, and counter any incoming chaff quite easily. The big guns instead can deploy long-range, high-S attacks to threaten multi-wounds models. The mortar even causes quakes, which are very good agaist ranked formations!

MadHatter:

Sitting here thinking if I could get scrap together 80 more points the hobgoblins could have bows aswell, would definately make them multipurpose wouldn’t it?

TheHoodedMan:

Sitting here thinking if I could get scrap together 80 more points the hobgoblins could have bows aswell, would definately make them multipurpose wouldn't it?

MadHatter
Hobgoblins with bows are very useful. The points pay definitely out.

MadHatter:

Sitting here thinking if I could get scrap together 80 more points the hobgoblins could have bows aswell, would definately make them multipurpose wouldn't it?

MadHatter
Hobgoblins with bows are very useful. The points pay definitely out.

TheHoodedMan
How does it work with multiple weapons? If they're charged would I get both stand and shoot and then the spears in close combat?

Skink:

How does it work with multiple weapons? If they're charged would I get both stand and shoot and then the spears in close combat?

MadHatter
As far as I know you can stand and shoot with your bows, then use the spears in close combat. Although in my experience stand and shoot doesn´t really do much, due to the Hobgoblins´ average BS...

Usually the Arrerz work better in multiple units of 20. For example, my opponents seem to rush to my Hobbos every time I bring them to battle (perhaps thinking to get easy points), without realising that they are worth nothing, and that they are going to waste a turn fighting rabble. There was a game against Ogres where after turn 3 half of my army was gone, and I thought I was going to lose, then I realize that the majority of my casualties were Hobgoblins. I won that game 17-3 :D

MadHatter:

MadHatter
As far as I know you can stand and shoot with your bows, then use the spears in close combat. Although in my experience stand and shoot doesn´t really do much, due to the Hobgoblins´ average BS...

Usually the Arrerz work better in multiple units of 20. For whatever reason my opponents get the Hobgoblins every time I bring them to battle, perhaps thinking to get easy points, without realising that they are worth nothing, and that they wasted a turn fighting them...

Skink
I really like the spears and shield upgrade so might be I try and fit 2x 40hobs with spears + shields and bows :) horde formation + fight in extra ranks means alot of attacks...

TheHoodedMan:

The spears are especially good against cavalry (lethal strike). But personally all upgrades at once seem too expensive. I prefer to get higher numbers :-).

MadHatter:

The spears are especially good against cavalry (lethal strike). But personally all upgrades at once seem too expensive. I prefer to get higher numbers :-).

TheHoodedMan
I like versatility more than anything, gonna take a few test runs to see what works, got a rough highly competative meta locally so I'll adapt with time I'm sure :)