[Archive] Magic Armour: The Shield of Kulnikambul the Mad

Admiral:

The Shield of Kulnikambul the Mad                    75  points
(Chaos Dwarf only, Magic Armour)

This fearsome shield makes the bearer nigh immune to magic and Daemons. One of the five items forged from the cursed ore of Grimdur Gutwrencher, the metal used to create this shield could only be melted from the ore after the Dawi Zharr Daemonsmith Arrazkrulim Flamefist had thrown himself into the furnace out of despair. His third son Kulnikambul dreamt insane nightmares for a whole year and then marched into the Realm of Chaos. Invulnerable to Daemonic attacks, he strode into the palace of Khorne, intent on becoming a Dark God himself, only to be betrayed by his last surviving Hobgoblin slave. The shield whirled out, however, and severed the head of Kulnikambul’s bane. It has since been a stud on one of Khorne’s leather straps, yet what if a twist of fate somehow was to return it to the mortal world?

Shield. Confers 2+ ward save against Daemons and magical attacks. Magic Resistance (2). If the bearer is removed as a casaulty, each model in base contact (friend or foe) is automatically hit by a S5 Heroic Killing Blow magical attack.

Admiral:

The next artefact from this story.

What would you change? How would you make this magic item? What point cost should it have?

Malorndk:

Try replacing the word daemon with fx orcs, humans or skaven, and then imagine playing against that certain race. Not really a fum prospect to face. Yet again the old pendant of khaeleth from Dark elf 7th edition was way better, worked against every army, and only cost 35 points as an enchanted item so maybe its not as broken as my brain tells me it is

Dînadan:

How about something to represent the hobgoblin turning on Klunikambul? Something like every round the bearer is in combat a random friendly model in base contact must pass a Ld test or direct all his attacks against the bearer.

Admiral:

@MalornDK: The shield should actually give full immunity against Daemonic and magical attacks, but 8th edition has moved away from immunity for the better.

These items are just for the fun of it. They should represent the fluff, so they’re long and not something you’d expect to see in an army book. Like old WD rules where you and your opponent agreed to play them. They’re especially meant to bring in some of that “Hellcannon danger” into CD items.

@Dînadan: Nice idea, but I’ve tried to cut short on the rules whilst staying true to fluff. Treachery is fine, but it will add yet one more thing to remember about the item. That kind of rule might be better for a tailored scenario. :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

This should be worth about 75 points, I think. The 2+ ward save against daemons and magical attacks (not necessary, actually, since all daemons’ attacks are magical anyway…) is worth 15 or so, the MR(2) is worth 30, so that’s your 45 already! The hit after being killed is pretty powerful, though it’s balanced by possibly hitting a friendly model (which basically means no one will put him in a unit, which is a fair disadvantage).

I’d simplify the hit mechanism a bit, to be honest. Just have it hit everyone in base contact, and maybe just Killing Blow. Heroic Killing Blow is for those powers and effects that specifically insta-kill anything. So the cockatrice’s petrifying gaze, for example. You need a pretty good fluff justification for using it.

Admiral:

K’daai attacks are non-magical if I remember correctly from the last time that came up on a tournament. They’re still Daemons.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll switch to the rules and points you proposed. :cheers