[Archive] Magic Weapon: The Whip of Rukharg the Strong

Admiral:

The Whip of Rukharg the Strong                 20 points
(Chaos Dwarf only, Magic Weapon)

This terrifying chain whip makes the bearer godlike amongst slavedrivers. One of the five items forged from the cursed ore of Grimdur Gutwrencher, the metal used to create this whip could only be melted from the ore after the Dawi Zharr Daemonsmith Arrazkrulim Flamefist had thrown himself into the furnace out of despair. His second-youngest son Rukharg could never tire of whipping thralls to ever-harder toil. The bloodsucking whip could even raise corpses back to work. Yet the feared chain whip grew thirstier the more it was used. When Rukharg was called to a lenghty audience and sacrifice at the side of Sorcerer-Prophet Khaldrun Without Tounge, his whip became agitated at being denied the blood and suffering. It strangled Rukharg on the spot, and its whereabouts have been a mystery ever since.

Instead of making his normal attacks, the bearer may elect to strangle a single enemy Infantry, Cavalry, Monstrous Infantry or Monstrous cavalry model at his Initiave step. Strangle is a single S3 Killing Blow attack. Additionally, the bearer may join Hobgoblin and other slave units. Any slave unit joined becomes Immune to Psychology as long as the bearer is in it. At the start of your combat phase, if the unit he has joined is in close combat but the bearer is not in base contact with an enemy model, roll a D6. On a ‘1’ he loses a wound with no saves of any kind allowed. This counts towards combat resolution.

Admiral:

Another item from this story. Are the rules and wording reasonable? How about the point cost? How yould you make the item?

Malorndk:

It’s really bad. During the g youame you have 1/6 change to loose a character - and have to test 12 times. Thats if you want to join a hobo unit, which could be good, but the items stats sucks. I wouldn’t take it for free :wink:

TheHoodedMan:

I agree. The drawback is too hard to play ;).

(OT: But its a nice idea to get extra points if you take it ;). Thats revolutionary!)

But you could change it to loose 1 wound and 1x/turn i.e. maximum 6 times a game.

Joining hobgoblin units is a great feat however.

You should add: The unit is immune to psychology as long as the bearer is in.

20 or 25 points would be ok then.

Dînadan:

How about making it so that the test is only taken when the unit is in combat?

Also, little nitpick, but it should be ‘bearer’ not ‘wearer’ :wink:

Bloodbeard:

I like the items you are throwing out here. But in general they have too long rules. I don’t like that. It’s hard to remember the rules and even harder to explain to your enemy. If you want to bring homemade rules, they should be real simple.

Dînadan:

I like the items you are throwing out here. But in general they have too long rules. I don't like that. It's hard to remember the rules and even harder to explain to your enemy. If you want to bring homemade rules, they should be real simple.

Bloodbeard
I think this is the age old problem of rules not reflecting fluff; getting the rules to reflect fluff either results in cumbersome rules or something unbalanced (e.g. In 40k you'd probably only have a squad, maybe two at a push, of marines taking on a full sized Guard platoon and winning if the rule reflected the fluff). :(

Admiral:

Haha, at least it wasn’t overpowered. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rules updated. Points cost good? Should the strangle attack be dropped for ease of memory? How would you make the rules?

@Dînadan: That’s a nice take on it. We’ll try it. :slight_smile:

Yes, this really is the old schism of fluff and rules at play.

@Bloodbeard: These rules are just for the fun of it. They’re not meant to be straightforward like army book items are, but it’s an advantage if they are.

Based on the fluff, how would you make the whip? Retaining the “suicide” danger element is crucial, everything else is open-ended. :slight_smile:

The Immortal Beard:

I would say make it so that the wielder makes all his attacks normally but one attack has the killing blow special rule (roll a different colored dice to reflect this attack). Whip allows bearer to join units of hobgoblins and grants hobgoblin units ItP as long as the bearer is joined with the unit. I’d call it a 30 point weapon. The benefits are not over the top but allows some versatility and helps with panic.