[Archive] Magma Cannon Tips?

Groznit Goregut:

Hi All,

Still haven’t gotten a game in yet with my CD, but very close! I had questions about using the Magma Cannon now that my games appear to be possible.

How far away do you want to fire it? I know regular cannons it’s 8 inches. What about for this thing? I assume it matters what type of a target you are shooting at. Deep units you can go a little long. Non-deep you will want to go short as possible.

What is the best thing to aim for in the Magma Cannon?

I assume it’s best to just put it behind the middle of your battle line? Fire at their main blocks as they move forward?

Is this thing as sick as it sounds to take out Ogres?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

When I fire mine at a block of infantry, I lay the template down so that it touches three models in the front rank and three in the second rank. And while I’m sure he’ll make a Look Out, Sir! roll, I’ll clip a character just in case I can get lucky. And yes - Ogres hate magma cannons! But in all fairness we hate Ironblasters just as much so it all works out in the end.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Groznit Goregut:

OK…so you put it down to catch the front 2 ranks and then roll the distance?

What if it’s a thin block? How far away do people recommend putting the template down?

RichardC1967:

doesn’t it fire up to 24"…so you can put the template anywhere up to 24" away and then you roll the scatter/arty dice…right?

Discoking:

I usually place the template 1.5" away from the front rank.

So on a 2, I hit min the front rank.

A 10 should get about the same number of hits as a 2 (depending on target).

4’s, 6’s & 8’s are hitting loads… Depending on target :smiley:

I know some who goes 6" from the back of the unit.

Yet to try that out.

Groznit Goregut:

@Discoking: That makes good sense.

Smog:

I can’t remember the length of the template but that + 6 inches from the front of the rear rank is what I usually do.

Discoking:

I can't remember the length of the template but that + 6 inches from the front of the rear rank is what I usually do.

Smog
The template is roughly 8".
:cheers

Baggronor:

doesn't it fire up to 24"..so you can put the template anywhere up to 24" away and then you roll the scatter/arty dice..right?
You nominate a point on the board like a Cannon does, then you roll the artillery dice and it jumps that many inches, then you put the template down with the narrow end on the final spot. So it goes 24" plus artillery plus template.

MLP:

If you have a daemonsmith next to it just throw it blindly in the air above the table and use where it lands, you’ll probably still hit! Seriously though I go 2-4" in front of the unit depending on depth, however I will always prefer to aim diagonally into a unit, from a 45 degree angle you have much more to hit and average sized unit.