[Archive] Magma Cannon?

Goltor Lintrepide:

What do you guys think about this piece as a cheap magma cannon :

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Orks/ORK_VEHICLES/ORK-KILL-KANNON.html

A simple pair of wheels and voilà!

Does anyone knows if it’s big enough or too big? It seems to be te right size, but i’m still asking.

Also, it’s half the price! :stuck_out_tongue:

veso:

I like it, I’d just add some more middle age styled wheels

French_noodle:

I am afraid it would be pretty small. Even if it looks big compared to gretchins, gretchins are very very small !

Although, it made be a good start for some conversion, since the cannon shape is indeed very nice. But i wonder if it is really bigger than a simple Imperial Guard Autocannon…

Skink:

It has already been explained that FW’s Magma cannon is so big because is mounted on a “steam carriage” You should count only the gun itself (hence the chariot base is really too big). I can’t find the post but somebody had it clarified bu FW via mail…

So answering your question: yeah I think that model would look marvelous for a CD gun! You can even leave the Grots in place to add some slave flavor.

French_noodle:

It has already been explained that FW's Magma cannon is so big because is mounted on a "steam carriage" You should count only the gun itself (hence the chariot base is really too big). I can't find the post but somebody had it clarified bu FW via mail...
I am totally aware of that, but still, it is a cannon which throw a big amount of lava. It can't be barely the size of some Orks Lobbas, for example.

I do like the shape of this grot-gun, and do think this shape would fit for a magma cannon, if it was a bit bigger.

I would wait to see pictures on the battlefield of the gun before buying it if i were you. It looks ridiculously small to me.

Xander:

Seems like a pretty good fit to me.

French_noodle:

Here it is:

Bigger than i thought. Still find it a bit thin for a magma cannon, but definitely a good start for a conversion.

Hashut’s Blessing:

You can even leave the Grots in place to add some slave flavor.

Skink
Some slavour as it were?

I'd suggest adding some sort of vat of boiling lava - will help it to feel bigger and give the right impression, which is that it's a water cannon spraying liquid rock instead of liquid ice... otherwise, looks grand!

veso:

I think having a thin muzzle makes sense for a gun that shoots liquid, as it would make it easier to create pressure which would launch the lava. Maybe sculpting a giant furnace at the base would make sense as well

Kera foehunter:

i like that idea , i think it good enough or you can add old dwarf flame canon part to it

Bolg:

Love the model, but it has a small boiler for a magma breathing weapon, it needs a reservoir of some sort.

(or it will do great for a Death rocket)

Abecedar:

I think it will work well. like the others have said add a boiler and for me a smaller size carraige and it’ll be pretty good

Goltor Lintrepide:

So, I sent some messages and get an answer. The Killkannon barrel is 80mm long (3’'7/32). Does somebody knows how long is the magma cannon barrel?

Goltor Lintrepide:

I’ve done some researches and find out the magma cannon could actually be shorter than the killkannon. I estimate the magma cannon’s barrel to be approximately 73mm long (2’'7/8). So, I think i’m gonna give it a try!

kbolster12345:

Maybe get some barrels or something that looks like I could hold liquid and its a go! Nice find!