[Archive] magma firing

kekenda:

i made my demon magma cannon,i only need to put lava firing out of his mouth and i dont know how,trying to make somthing like troll vomit bits u get from river trolls box but seems like i suck at sculpting,any advice or picture? it has to be magma since my army is entirely made from demons,no machines so i am trying hard to make obvious which one is which by making it look like doing the same job as machine.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

There are plenty of ways to do it but it depends on the effect you want to emulate. Do you have a picture of the model so we have a better idea of what you’re trying to do?

Otherwise the best advice I have is to practice. I’ve thrown out a lot of minis doing tests until I get something the way I want it so don’t be afraid to experiment.

kekenda:

There are plenty of ways to do it but it depends on the effect you want to emulate.  Do you have a picture of the model so we have a better idea of what you're trying to do?

Otherwise the best advice I have is to practice.  I've thrown out a lot of minis doing tests until I get something the way I want it so don't be afraid to experiment.

Grimbold Blackhammer
its a balrog comming out of a lava pool surounded by crew summoning it,poor conversion on balrog itelf thats why i need to put lava coming out of his mouth so ppl see tht he is doing what magma cannon should do also,firing lava out,and the effect? well imagine how does it lookls like when magma cannon shoots. basicly i want to make his mouth look like a lava geyser

Bloodbeard:

I’ll post some ideas:

My way:

Take a piece of sprue to use as a core. Pack it in green stuff or miliput, let it dry just a bit, and rip it with your sculpting tool (or knife).

Pretty easy, can’t really be ugly (since ugly/chaotic is the point).

You may still want to build it up one side at a time. It’s easy enough to make it cone like.

If you want like a splash in the end, put some thin sprue there. Like an entre hook or harpun.

Here it is with some paint and smoke. The smoke is not my idea but Samaels - check his showcase “Hh yes there will be lava!”. The smoke is made with flock and lots of super glue. Build up to the wanted shape. Experience’s told me it might be an idea to put some wire as a core, and build the flocksmoke around it.

Kytes way

Just recieved a tutorial from Kyte. He’s making his fire from toiletpaper and super glue. He takes the paper and twists it until it can hold it’s twisted form, then he glues it in place - an soak up the toilet paper with super glue.

I’ll try this method with my K’daii.

Here are some pictures of his amazing work:

Hope it helps.

kekenda:

cheers mate!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Bloodbeard:

Also great for smoke is teddybear stuffing spray relatively black.