[Archive] Mantic orcs as hobgoblins?

jack da greenskin:

Hi, I’m a FNG and I thought I stumbled on a good idea.

Mantic games have a line of orcs, like these, and their faces are quite different from most GW stuff and they are pretty hunchbacked.

Anyone else think they’d make decent hobgoblins? I’m planning to give mine some brown skin and bang them in units of 20-30.

aka_mythos:

If I hadn’t already converted ~40 hobgoblins I would probably have gone this route.

macbeth:

I’m not too sure… they’re a bit too bulky and not sneaky enough for my tastes…

Thorne:

Hmmmmmm hobgobs I don’t think but black orcs I’d see them looking better as.

Murdock129:

Black Orcs would be good if it wasn’'t for the fact these orcs are slightly smaller than GW regular orcs, they may appear bulky but the ones I have are noticably smaller than my black orcs

They could make ok Hobgoblins but I’m gonna wait till Mantic release their Goblins and probably use them

snowblizz:

Black Orcs would be good if it wasn''t for the fact these orcs are slightly smaller than GW regular orcs, they may appear bulky but the ones I have are noticably smaller than my black orcs

They could make ok Hobgoblins but I'm gonna wait till Mantic release their Goblins and probably use them

Murdock129
Would be nice with some size-comparison shots.

nitroglysarine:

I’m planning to use the heads that came with the mantic dwarfs for my hobgoblins as they look almost there, just need nose and ear extensions for my tastes.

I wouldn’t use the full orcs and bodies personally, have you considered the lotr orcs? they are skinnier and going for a song on eBay.

Murdock129:

Firstly I should point out that the Mantic Orc would be a bit shorter on a Mantic Base rather than a GW one.

Secondly it’s much thinner than either the Orc or Black Orc in question, arms and legs particularily. It does look a bit bulky, though this is in part down to the shield, but not bulky enough in my eyes for a black orc

snowblizz:

Thanks for the pic.

See what you mean. They are not really “compatible” as such I guess. GW does a have a somewhat special style for their orcs.

I wonder though, that body with a Beastman head might make a decent budget Bestigor for those so inclined.

Murdock129:

Too be honest their heads are pretty bestial already, but yeah I can see that working if done well, though if you want budget bestigors go on eBay and buy the old single post Beastmen that are about two a penny

snowblizz:

Too be honest their heads are pretty bestial already, but yeah I can see that working if done well, though if you want budget bestigors go on eBay and buy the old single post Beastmen that are about two a penny

Murdock129
Those are ugly as sin! And not in a good way...

Too ugly and no armour... but of course if price is the only consideration then yes.

Probably going to get myself a box to see what I can do with those. The mantic stuff is just cheap enough that I don't mind experimenting.