[Archive] Matte finish Varnish

GRNDL:

Recently I’ve been having a lot of problems with my Testor’s Dullcote. It turns out semi-gloss rather than matte. I used to think that it was a result of temperature and humidity, but after using it at wide temperature ranges (15c - 25c) and humidities (40-70%) I get the same results. I’ve tried buying cans from different stores, thinking it might be due to a bad batch, but this problem has covered 6 different cans bought from 2 different stores, over the last 8 months.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable matte varnish?? Or alternatively, advice on how to get a matte finish with Testor’s?

torn:

Ive never really had a problem with testors dull coat. I does give a very slight shine, but when compared to the shiny look stuff i use for my slot cars you wouldnt call it semi-gloss at all really. To be honest of late i have just been using citadel purity seal and its worked well.

Xander:

I think I use Testor’s Dullcoat, but I’ve never had an issue thus far. The last one I bought was used for my Tri-Fire Hellcannon.

Lordfishbane:

I have recently started using Krylon matt finish and it works well, price is nice to 5 bucks for a big GW sized can

Captain Crayon:

I dunno if you’d have it there, but I looove Wattyl Estapol.

I’m pretty sure its an Australian manufacturer…

$3.99 for a tin and always seems to comes out perfect regardless of temperature or humidity.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I know Tremclad makes a clear coat, but it’s gloss. I’m not sure if there’s a dullcoat with them, but you could look for it.

Skink:

Ehm… For those outside there that don´t come from USA, Australia etc… What is Matte???

Zanko:

Ehm... For those outside there that don´t come from USA, Australia etc.... What is Matte???

Skink
My dictionary "says" matte is just the opposite of glossy ...

:hashut

Sousunou:

I use Humbrol matt varnish. Product number 049. It comes in a 14ml tin and is pretty good. It can need 2 coats occasionally, and you really need to be sure the paint is fully dry as occasionally it can cause a smudge to occur. It is primarily designed for enamel paint but I have used it on GW paints, foundations, inks and washes, and got equally good results as when using it on enamels and normal inks. It is slightly cheaper than the others too, usually between 1 and 2 gbp a tin.

Hope that helps.