[Archive] maw banner vs flames of asgorh

richard barby:

just wondering does this spell bypass the maw banner like purple sun does .Im assuming it does as the wording is any point with in the line of site I was under the theory that as its not directly targeting the unit it can get around it?

NoisyAssassin:

Flames is a direct damage spell, so it has to target. Maw banner will work against it.

richard barby:

is that the wording on the banner

Gunnerson:

is that the wording on the banner

richard barby
unless they changed the banner it only affects units that have been targeted within x inches

richard barby:

the core of my question is. if your targeting a point( as per the wording on the spell) not the unit does it bypass the banner much like purple sun that targets the line if goes down

KramDratta:

the core of my question is. if your targeting a point( as per the wording on the spell) not the unit does it bypass the banner much like purple sun that targets the line if goes down

richard barby
If you target the point inside the unit, then yes RuneMaw banner will work as normal.
If you target a point in front of the unit, then RuneMaw won't work (RAW).

NoisyAssassin:

From page 6 of the BRB FAQ:

"Q: Do ranged direct damage spells that use a template have to target

an enemy unit? (p31)

A: Yes, the template must be placed over the target enemy unit."

You have to target the unit, which means no such shenanigans.

Gunnerson:

From page 6 of the BRB FAQ:

"Q: Do ranged direct damage spells that use a template have to target
an enemy unit? (p31)
A: Yes, the template must be placed over the target enemy unit."

You have to target the unit, which means no such shenanigans.

NoisyAssassin
If my understanding is right, when a spell like a Foot of Gork scatters, or a vortex passes over the rune maw banner then the banner would not work because neither have targeted the unit. Both spells in this case have blundered into the unit by random chance. I am basing this on the 7th ed run maw banner as I have not seen the 8th ed version.