[Archive] [mini-blog] Going Mantic - Heavy Rocker update

Thorne:

P.S. Total noob question, but how do you guys remove the "pin" from the push pins, when you use them as hats?

aka_mythos
I tend to heat the pins with a ciggerette lighter and then pull the pins out with a pair of clippers and drop the pins into a cup of water. Heat for no longer than 10 seconds.

aka_mythos:

I figured something like that might work… didn’t know if the plastic was would end up, to use a technical term, “wonky.”

Thorne:

Nah what tends to happen is the pin will tend to move itself out of the plastic thumb tack when it has heated for a split second this is then the time taken to remove it from the plastic body.

Gar Shadowfame:

be carfefull not to inhale heated up plactic, its toxic

clam:

That's based on the one from the Indy Dwarfs of Chaos book isn't it? Is it Kefas the artist?

Grimstonefire
Nice guess, but 'no' - much more simple then that. Push pin hats, big noses, tusked teeth, oversized lips - and over proportioned curly
beard - ring any bell?

Shakhorth:

That's based on the one from the Indy Dwarfs of Chaos book isn't it?  Is it Kefas the artist?

Grimstonefire
Nice guess, but 'no' - much more simple then that. Push pin hats, big noses, tusked teeth, oversized lips - and over proportioned curly
beard - ring any bell?

clam
It sounds like Tjub's big hats. And even if it's not, just like to mention them... :hat off

clam:

It sounds like Tjub's big hats. And even if it's not, just like to mention them... :hat off

Shakhorth
Bingo - had a big picture of his stuff on the screen when i did that last one - 5 slaves have been sacrificed. I'm sure Mr. Tjub would have done much better, though ;)

clam:

4. Beasts of Dwarfs

Today, I won’t go so much into details - just want to show the Mantic potential for doing other troop choices with in a CD list.

First, a cow/beast standard bearer:

Next one is a real 3th ed classic with a …? Mantic twist

Boar Centaur

Last, but not least - a CD classic

Bull Centaur

Think that was it, really. That’s the fantasy evil stunties I could get out of a box set of Mantic’s. Hope some of you found something you liked - and might even try doing a entire warband/patrol unit/army - and explore their potential and take it even further - cause we’ll be needing cheap alternative - when eBay starts to run out of BfSPs.

And it isn’t completely over, yet - like I stated at the beginning, I will try painting a few of these. And I might come up with a few other ideas - still got a few bodies laying around :wink:

Any suggestions? Any one in particular you would like seeing painted? Let me here which ones - as I might follow your advices :smiley:

Ogrob:

That bull centaur looks really good, please paint it.

aka_mythos:

Those are so sweet.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

tjub:

Wow, that Bull Centaur is really sweet! Agree with Ogrob, please get som paint on him…

Haha, so there is now a new sub category for Big Hats. “Tjub Hats” :P, but its always nice to get some positive feedback on your  ideas. I cant take credit for the tear dropshaped hat though, got the idea from someone here on CDO but dont remember who.
This blog is totaly awesome Clam, love your initiative and Id really like to see an army converted only from mantic stuff, that would be intresteing. :slight_smile:

Id love to get this thread cleand up and pinned somewhere!

Clinkz:

Big fan off the bull centaur, very nice :slight_smile:

Shakhorth:

Oh look at the boar centaur… He’s so cute with all his fur!

Bull centaur looks nice too, but the boar centaur is just so cute! :smiley:

clam:

Thanks, guys - glad you liked it.

But asking me to paint the Bull Centaur?? - you must be kidding, right!

Of all big hat things - it’s probably BCs I dislike the most!

I’ve painted one BC already (the GH one) - think that’s more then enough.

snowblizz:

Impressive stuff!

I get that irrational “ooh, I could do that” voice in my head again. Luckily my lazy side just kicked in overruling it knowing full well I’d never be able to finish it. I have too many ways of doing CDs already.

Xander:

Nice update. :slight_smile:

They look very nice.

clam:

Thanks guys.

@Snowblizz
I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately, I’m obviously not as lazy as you  - I could man myself up for one of those 1-click bids :wink:

Not have much progress this weekend. Big family thing - and then I ran out of black primer :~ I’ll see what I can do about it next week. Wouldn’t get much time, though - work is killing me these days - but 2-3 weeks more and it will be back to normal, again.

Akhakk:

Great guide, Clam. I’ve been planning on buying a box of 60 Mantic zombies in the near future and I think I’ll add a regiment of their dwarves to the order.

The BCs look great and I may use the Mantics for them when I get around to making a unit. While I am not a big hat fan, I have to say that big hat dwarf #4 is pretty cool. I like the onion shaped hat over the super-tall ones. Also, I really like your cow beast. I’ll have to find some way to incorporate that idea into either my CD army or my beasts.

Thanks again for the guide and inspiration.

nitroglysarine:

Very, very nice, ordered 80 mantic dwarfs a few days ago, had considered clipping the legs off and constructing a new skirt and pop the feet out. not sure if it’d work.

I quite like the fact they are a touch taller than their inferior cousins. :smiley:

ohhh, where did you get your white bull legs for the Bull Centaur’s? been looking for them forever!

Shakhorth:

Very, very nice, ordered 80 mantic dwarfs a few days ago, had considered clipping the legs off and constructing a new skirt and pop the feet out. not sure if it'd work.
I quite like the fact they are a touch taller than their inferior cousins. :-D

ohhh, where did you get your white bull legs for the Bull Centaur's? been looking for them forever!

nitroglysarine
What possibly happened.

Cough, the metal legs fell down from a shelf and ended up in a mold... Cough then he fell and tripped over some resin and that happened to fall into that mold... Cough.

Damn this cold of mine, should go and see a doc. :D