[Archive] Mini-hammer Orcs

bas_2312:

Hi guys,

Time for something a little silly. Our group started playing Mini-hammer, the 9th Age rules but with 10mm models and all distances halved.

It’s great fun, and you can suddenly play a game of Warhammer on almost every table.

This weekend we had our first national tournament, and a great photograher made some awesome photos of every army there. So here’s my army:

I hope you like them! If you do, you can check out the other armies here.

And some more pics of the tournament.

And of course, if you’re interested, here’s the Minihammer facebook group with all the info.

Willmark:

Mini hammer? What�?Ts next Nanometerhammer?

All kidding aside cool. It does raise some interesting possibilities in terms of terrain and the like. One could go quite massive in terms of scale.

tjub:

Cool to see more minor scales, though aint 10mm a bit too small for individual basing? No intention to turn this into a rules competition, but as we do play Kings of War in 15mm and we had to up our characterbases to 15mm. I guess movement trays are a must? :slight_smile:

As to play on any table, I agree. Going down in scale was the best thing we’ve done for mass combat.

cornixt:

The detail you’ve managed to paint this tiny models with is amazing.

The logistics of minihammer makes complete sense for massed infantry games. 28mm models just take up too much room for large armies - really big battles end up being long lines of tables because there is a restriction on how far you can reach. 15mm models take up a quarter of the space so you can expand much more (and 1/8 of the material so they cost less). You lose a lot of the detail, but you don’t need it so much for ranked battles anyway. Just look at the new Joan of Arc game though, still fantastic models. Given that GW is all about 32mm skirmishes now, people are much more open to being able to play these games at a smaller scale.

bas_2312:

Cool to see more minor scales, though aint 10mm a bit too small for individual basing? No intention to turn this into a rules competition, but as we do play Kings of War in 15mm and we had to up our characterbases to 15mm. I guess movement trays are a must? :)

As to play on any table, I agree. Going down in scale was the best thing we've done for mass combat.

tjub
Yeah, halving the scale seems like such a no brainer in terms of table size. And I always melt when I see the tiny trees on the table next to my figures.

And in Minihammer all base sizes are halved, so a 20mm base is now a 10mm base, and we have special half-inch rulers. But the figures are 3 times smaller, so they have more room on the bases than their 28mm counterparts.

We also have a house rule that we don't use single characters on foot outside of units, since that's a bit too fiddly even for us. So yes, movementtrays all the way, and with some magnets and metal sheets this also makes for easy transport.

Skink:

That´s it. I want a 10mm Lizardmen army now.

YOUR ORCS LOOK SO FREEKIN GOOD!!!

One question though: how did you manage to separate all those tiny Warmaster figures? I would love to do the same with my Lizardmen, but I find it an overwhelmingly difficult task to undertake…

bas_2312:

That´s it. I want a 10mm Lizardmen army now.

YOUR ORCS LOOK SO FREEKIN GOOD!!!

One question though: how did you manage to separate all those tiny Warmaster figures? I would love to do the same with my Lizardmen, but I find it an overwhelmingly difficult task to undertake....

Skink
:D GOOOO!

I just used a sharp knive to cut apart the Warmaster strips. And also used unit fillers with multiple models on a base.

And if you're interested in 10mm Lizardmen, you should really check out Eureka miniatures, they have some awesome Lizardmen figures!

https://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/fantasy-144-c.asp

Skink:

if you're interested in 10mm Lizardmen, you should really check out Eureka miniatures, they have some awesome Lizardmen figures!

bas_2312
Yep, I have two of their Stegadons (1 converted with an engine of the gods :D ), Kroxigors, and Skinks... But I also have GW´s Saurus, Temple Guard, and Cold One Knights. I am sooooo afraid of trying to separate them....

You used GW Warmaster Orcs right? How did you hack your troops from one another?

bas_2312:

You used GW Warmaster Orcs right? How did you hack your troops from one another?

Skink
Some of them are still together on extra large bases, but mostly just careful cutting with a knife :)

Uther the unhinged:

What a lovely army. How do you guys do it? My 28mm force is not even tabletop standard and you paint these so beautifully. Big hats off to you.

Abecedar:

Absolutely great.

I have picked up some of Eureka’s 10mm Chaos Dwarfs just for fun.

I have trouble painting big, see-able things like 28mm so I don’t know how I’ll go with these.

bas_2312:

Absolutely great.
I have picked up some of Eureka's 10mm Chaos Dwarfs just for fun.
I have trouble painting big, see-able things like 28mm so I don't know how I'll go with these.

Abecedar
You should really buy some Minihammer bases over at warbases.co.uk and gather up some friends. It's great fun!

The awesome thing about this small scale is that you don't need as many detailed painting techniques. Just a simple drybrush and a wash can showcase the detail just as well.

Scar:

Love it!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Ghrask Dragh:

Squids are my fav, great job

Cloister:

Excellent! I wanted to get into 40k epic but it’s a pain to hunt down all the stuff you need with the game being OOP.

You did a great job with these.

Carcearion:

Those are so cool!

I’ve been wanting to break into 10mm or 15mm ever since I saw Tjub’s tiny KoW.

AtomTaylor:

Nice Army, I’ve started collecting the Warmaster stuff myself. Great details for 10-12mm.

Miasma:

I been working on a 10mm Chaos Dwarf catalogue lately, only need to track down something to use as the relevant weapon teams and Taurukh Anointed for T9A games

bas_2312:

I been working on a 10mm Chaos Dwarf catalogue lately, only need to track down something to use as the relevant weapon teams and Taurukh Anointed for T9A games

Miasma
Do you have a link? I'd love some 10mm Chaos Dwarfs with Big Hats...

Miasma:

Miasma
Do you have a link? I'd love some 10mm Chaos Dwarfs with Big Hats...

bas_2312
Not a link so much but the document I have constructed, big hats seem few and far between unfortunately

Characters

Prophet on Lamasu �?" Eureka Miniatures Gorgon Riders (400FAN013) - £7.95 (3)

Vizier/Overlord on Bull of Shamut �?" Eureka Miniatures Gorgon Riders (400FAN013) - £7.95 (3)

Prophet on Foot �?" Eureka Miniatures Chaos Dwarfs (400FAN014) - £7.95 (30)

Vizier/Overlord on Foot �?" Eureka Miniatures Chaos Dwarfs (400FAN014) - £7.95 (30)

Hobgoblin Khan on Wolf �?" MagisterMilitum Goblin Warriors on Dire Wolves (FOG408) - £5.80 (12)

Chosen of Lugar �?" Pendraken Dwarf Berserkers (FAN-HDW6) - £5.25 (25)

Taurukh Subjugator �?"

Core Units

Citadel Guard �?" Eureka Miniatures Chaos Dwarfs (400FAN014) - £7.95 (30)

Citadel Guard with Flintlock - Eureka Miniatures Chaos Dwarfs (400FAN014) - £7.95 (30)

Hobgoblins �?" MagisterMilitum Goblins with Spears (FOG110) - £5.80 (30)

Hobgoblins with Bows �?" MagisterMilitum Goblins Archers (FOG111) - £5.80 (30)

Infernal Warriors �?" Eureka Miniatures Chaos Dwarfs (400FAN014) - £7.95 (30)

Infernal Warriors with Blunderbuss�?" Eureka Miniatures Chaos Dwarfs (400FAN014) - £7.95 (30)

Orc Slaves �?" MagisterMilitum Great Orc Warriors with hand Weapons (FOG101) - £5.80 (30)

Special Units

Hobgoblin Wolf Riders �?" MagisterMilitum Goblin Warriors on Dire Wolves (FOG408) - £5.80 (12)

Immortals �?" Eureka Miniatures Anvil Dwarfs (400FAN021) - £7.95 (30)

Taurukh �?" Eureka Miniatures Dwargons (400FAN006) - £7.95 (15)

Taurukh Anointed �?"

Barrage

Flame Thrower Team �?"

Grenade Launcher Team �?"

Volley Gun Team -

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower �?" Magister Militum Goblin Bolt Throwers (FOG301) - £5.80 (3)

Rocket Battery �?" Magister Militum Dwarven Cannon (FDW602) - £5.80 (3)

Volcano Cannon �?" Magister Militum Dwarven Cannon (FDW602) - £5.80 (3)

Titan Mortar �?" Eureka Miniatures Hellmaw Cannon (400FAN017) - £7.95 (1)

Bound and Binders �?"

Armoured Giant �?" MagisterMilitum Gaints with Clubs (FMC601) - £5.80 (2)

Disciples of Lugar �?" Pendraken Dwarf Berserkers (FAN-HDW6) - £5.25 (25)

Infernal Engine �?" MagisterMilitum Dwarf Steam Powered War Cart (FDW301) �?" £5.80 (1)

Kadim Incarnates �?" MagisterMilitum Lesser Fire Elementals (FEL606) - £5.80 (20)

Kadim Titan �?" MagisterMilitum Greater Fire Elementals (FEL602) - £5.80 (2)