[Archive] Monstrous Arcanum

Singleton Mosby:

Does anybody here have the monstrous arcanum book and want to share the stats etc of the Lamassu and Taurus with me. I feel like it is just a bit too much to buy the whole book for just the extra rules of these two creatures.

Skink:

Lammasu and Great Taurus are on Storm of Magic… But sure, give me a couple of secs and I’ll PM you.

Thommy H:

Please don’t just ask for rules.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Asking for rules/stats is against the forum rules, please recheck the guidelines thread if unsure.

Skink:

Sorry! My bad!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Singleton Mosby:

Asking for rules/stats is against the forum rules, please recheck the guidelines thread if unsure.

Hashut's Blessing
Excuse me lads, won't happen again.

Vardan Painkiller:

I’m sorry i didn’t find any mention related to asking about brief rules information.

Example: How much points does hobgoblin cost and whats his stat line?

4pts baseline of a human with 1 less initiative and Ld.

There is nothing wrong with this, neither it is breach of any IP. Lets not have IP being new political corectness.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

points to Hashut’s Blessing’s name in red meaning he is a forum moderator

thinks it is probably a good idea to do whatever the big red names tell us to do

Grimbold Blackhammer

Hashut’s Blessing:

Vardan Painkiller - try telling Games Workshop’s lawyers that when we receive our next Cease & Desist letter for pasting rules and statlines :wink:

In all seriousness, yes, there are workarounds like you’ve mentioned above, but it’s better to be safe than have our site shut down. There is no way that we could contend with GW’s lawyers, as this is a personally funded venture for us to all just chat and exchange thoughts - not a business earning enough money to quibble over semantics that could’ve been avoided :smiley:

Grimbold - slaves to you, sirrah. For the amusing method by which you went about your post - much needed on a bleak day :smiley:

cornixt:

Regardless of actual legality and infringement, take my word for it when I say that these kinds of things are not worth the hassle and stress (and money if you let it get far enough that you need to consult a lawyer).

Thommy H:

I think a general rule of thumb in life is that, if there’s a thing you’d normally have to pay for, then asking people to just give it you for free is at best kind of rude and at worst potentially illegal.

Skink:

Sorry again everyone! I’m pretty sure that Singleton Mosby would agree with me in saying that if Mods want they can delete this thread!

Vardan Painkiller:

I think there there is weird type of panic, and veneration of some even weirder ideas of IP.

We are a fan community, we dont earn money through GW IP, we dont write down contents of books into word format to give it away. We comment on content of products.

Thommy- if i can’t ask for a stat line, you should delete most of your book. You are using GW IP, more over if person decides to use your book “for fun” and will not buy Throne of Chaos book you actually made GW loose money- are you being rude or a thief?

To infringe any IP person must have benefited ( in monetary terms) through illegal use of IP, i can ask my neighbour about hobgoblins statline- if he tells me that, or writes on a piece of paper, he isnt breaking any laws- he is sharing HIS knowledge for FREE.

Forum are like conversations in person, they are public to a degree like chat in a gaming club, only difference is that those talks can be read.

Other thing is if i asked my neighbour to photocopy or scan Throne of Chaos a,d he would tell me he will do it for 5$- the HE is breaking IP law by proffiting from IP he doesnt own. you cant legaly coppy book for other person for money- but you CAN do it for free. If i borrob book and scan it, it is mine cos at the time of coppying it i had a right to use is as i see fit. As long as i dont try to sell this copy i can legaly own it.

This how IP works. Otherwise if i was talking with a person saying “oh man, this hobgoblins have so weak Ld, its only 6” i would be breaking law if person i was talking to didnt own a book- cos i share the secrets!!

And it just doesnt work like that-

Hashut’s Blessing:

Vardan Painkiller - this isn’t about what is and isn’t IP/copywrite infringement. It’s about what GW does to us as a reaction and we simply don’t need the added extra stress in our already, frankly, extremely busy lives. On top of that, if we did decide to take it upon ourselves to stand up to such matters, then we would have to try and find the money to contend what is, ultimately, a highly trivial point and, I can’t speak for the other staff members (although I’m sure they will agree), I don’t have the money to do anything of the sort.

Regardless - laws are different in different countries as well and the bottom line is that we are not prepared to take the risk since we’ve already been on GW’s radar for such matters and we have politely informed you that it is not to be done.

cornixt:

I’ve moved this to the Darklands, since it was going to get even more annoying.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Good choice and thank you.